FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · An observation

the solitaire
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · An observation

CGrindahl wrote:
That's the reason I'm awaiting delivery this week on my 37th manual focus Nikkor lens. And I keep pondering the question whether I should buy a 55 f/3.5 AI though the 55 f/2.8 AI-s in my kit has no oil on the blades and works just fine... As Laura said, you can't buy just one...

Not much reason to get the 55 f3,5 when you already own the 55 f2,8 version. They mostly do the same. The f2,8 version is faster wide open and sharper in the corners. At f5,6 they are about identical though.

My trusty old 55mm micro nikkor isnīt mint by any means. I once accidentally dropped it (with D200 attached) on the concrete from a height of about 4 ft. Of course the camera landed on the filter thread the same way bread always seems to land on the buttered side.

The focus ring has a bit of added friction around the 12 ft mark since then. Everything else works fine though.

Jun 26, 2013 at 01:18 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · An observation

I'm at the place in my exploration where I'm interested in experimenting with different form factors and different optical designs. That has prompted my exploration of pre-AI lenses that typically have different optical designs. My interest in the 55 f/3.5 is not in the late AI version, but more likely and early P version with the Nikon AI conversion kit installed. The early version have a scalloped focusing ring made of metal that intrigues me. I don't know whether I want to go there but that is in the back of my mind with regard to micro lenses. I'm more inclined to shoot with tubes on a regular MF lens than shoot with a micro lens.

This is the lens that intrigues me...

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/f5535c.jpg

Jun 26, 2013 at 01:50 AM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · An observation

Those Auto P Nikkor lenses are even better in mechanical quality then the Ai ones with rubber grip design.

I had 2 different ones and they were mechanically absolutely amazing. Optically neither the 50mm f2 nor the 135mm f2,8 could convince me on a digital body which is a real shame.

As to tubes and bellows, definately with a maual focus lens. The longer focus path and mechanical quality allows very precise handling. The AF models, even those with AF-S motors feel clumsy in comparison.

Every time I switch from extended use of the 55mm (the one that fell down) to my AF-S micro nikkor I get the feeling that the AF-S has sand or grime in the focus ring. Itīs smoother then my 14-24 AF-S though which recently had the AF-S unit replaced so it will be fine. It just feels like itīs grinding away rather then smoothly rotating.

Jun 26, 2013 at 02:46 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · An observation

the grass is no greener on this side of the field

Jun 26, 2013 at 09:22 AM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · An observation

rcheliphotog wrote:
I admit it; I'm a Canon shooter. I snuck out of the Canon board and looked at the threads from this forum and it seems like Nikon shooters actually take pictures!

With all seriousness, the Canon board is nothing but gear talk - testing, shooting brick walls, malfunctions, talking about birds, etc. - yet only occasionally a genuine photograph gets posted.

I can only come to the conclusion that the the Canon board is populated with no one but old guys with more money than they know what to do with and take as much pride in collecting gear as
...Show more

Well the Canon, Nikon and Alt boards are listed under "Gear-Talk", so guess that's why it's mostly talk. Check out the "Presentation" section, there is 9 boards with tons of great photos.

Jun 26, 2013 at 04:06 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · An observation

I think the Canon gear forum is far too busy to let people post lots of photos that rightly belong on other forums. The Nikon gear forum is much smaller in terms of traffic and so we get away with it here.

As well as presentation forums there is a critique forum where you can get feedback about photos.

- Alan

Jun 29, 2013 at 02:46 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · An observation

rcheliphotog wrote:
I admit it; I'm a Canon shooter. I snuck out of the Canon board and looked at the threads from this forum and it seems like Nikon shooters actually take pictures!

With all seriousness, the Canon board is nothing but gear talk - testing, shooting brick walls, malfunctions, talking about birds, etc. - yet only occasionally a genuine photograph gets posted.

I can only come to the conclusion that the the Canon board is populated with no one but old guys with more money than they know what to do with and take as much pride in collecting gear as
...Show more

Yup, over here...it never hurts to back-up your talk with an appropriate shot or two. Kinda separates the
collectors/testers from the actual shooters...when opinions are flyin' around like a monkey onna cupcake.

Jun 29, 2013 at 04:14 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.