New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · An observation

rcheliphotog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · An observation

I admit it; I'm a Canon shooter. I snuck out of the Canon board and looked at the threads from this forum and it seems like Nikon shooters actually take pictures!

With all seriousness, the Canon board is nothing but gear talk - testing, shooting brick walls, malfunctions, talking about birds, etc. - yet only occasionally a genuine photograph gets posted.

I can only come to the conclusion that the the Canon board is populated with no one but old guys with more money than they know what to do with and take as much pride in collecting gear as they do taking photos. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it sure gets boring!

You guys make some seriously good images here. Even though I shoot Canon I'll certainly be spending more time enjoying the much more personal vibe.

Cheers

Jun 24, 2013 at 09:39 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · An observation

I try to talk about gear all I can, but people keep adding great images to my discussions which distracts me into taking pictures!

Jun 24, 2013 at 09:53 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · An observation

That is an interesting observation.

I always experienced things to be the other way around. Canon shooters are the ones actually taking pictures while Nikon owners are so obsessed with gear they only try to accumulate more of it.

Itīs refreshing to hear things might have actually turned around

Jun 25, 2013 at 02:21 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · An observation

jhinkey wrote:
I try to talk about gear all I can, but people keep adding great images to my discussions which distracts me into taking pictures!

Yes, but we love you anyway...

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DLOhoTmDMeM/Uck40izH_ZI/AAAAAAAAVYo/91pOD1NYLVA/s1000/300.36.Fronds.jpg

This is for OP... Yes, we do take photos and share them on the Nikon forum. This was shot with a 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF with a 36mm extension tube attached. John and I both participate in a thread on this forum devoted to manual focus lenses. That is one of the delights of Nikon shooting. Canon abandoned all their legacy lenses when they moved to the EF mount. Nikon kept the door open and we're enjoying those old lenses.

I shot Canon for years before buying a D700. I enjoyed my 5D but I love my D700 and these amazing MF lenses.

Jun 25, 2013 at 02:35 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · An observation

That's how it starts, and then you'll find yourself wondering.. Hmm.. maybe I should try... Maybe I'll just buy one... Nobody can buy just one

Jun 25, 2013 at 04:06 AM
Tim Ashton
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · An observation

CGrindahl wrote:

Yes, but we love you anyway...

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DLOhoTmDMeM/Uck40izH_ZI/AAAAAAAAVYo/91pOD1NYLVA/s1000/300.36.Fronds.jpg

This is for OP... Yes, we do take photos and share them on the Nikon forum. This was shot with a 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF with a 36mm extension tube attached. John and I both participate in a thread on this forum devoted to manual focus lenses. That is one of the delights of Nikon shooting. Canon abandoned all their legacy lenses when they moved to the EF mount. Nikon kept the door open and we're enjoying those old lenses.

I shot Canon for years before buying a D700. I enjoyed my 5D but I
...Show moreoff the op s subject, but Curtis, that is magic

tim

Jun 25, 2013 at 04:25 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · An observation

rcheliphotog wrote:
I admit it; I'm a Canon shooter. I snuck out of the Canon board and looked at the threads from this forum and it seems like Nikon shooters actually take pictures!

With all seriousness, the Canon board is nothing but gear talk - testing, shooting brick walls, malfunctions, talking about birds, etc. - yet only occasionally a genuine photograph gets posted.

I can only come to the conclusion that the the Canon board is populated with no one but old guys with more money than they know what to do with and take as much pride in collecting gear as
...Show more

If you think it's bad here, visit Dpreview, it's all gear talk on all the forums. Having said that, there's a place for gear talk, but like you, I like to see it intertwined with images.

Jun 25, 2013 at 05:07 AM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · An observation

Some manual focus lenses just are too good to put them in a museum.

I keep using an old 55mm micro Nikkor whenever I want to shoot using my lightbox rather then the AF-S 105mm VR micro Nikkor because the images from that 1970īs lens are just more pleasing compared to the ones shot with the modern fully automatic lens.

Shot with a Nikon D300, light tent with SB600 on the right, SB700 behind and on camera flash to light up the scene from the front.

55mm f3,5 Ai micro Nikkor at f8

Jun 25, 2013 at 05:56 AM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · An observation

Our gear works well so we tend to take pictures instead of figuring out what's wrong

Jun 25, 2013 at 07:26 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · An observation

In all fairness, both boards are dedicated to gear. There's a bunch of other sections for photos

Jun 25, 2013 at 07:42 AM
montym
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · An observation

Enough chatter. Lets see some pictures

(tell me t's the lens and I'm not really that fat)

Jun 25, 2013 at 02:54 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · An observation

^ I was just about to say you were getting fat!

Jun 25, 2013 at 02:55 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · An observation

Come over to the Alt board, you'll see TONS of photos....

Jun 25, 2013 at 03:03 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · An observation

In the Nikon world, we've learned long ago that our gear isn't perfect, so ranting about it does nothing except expand the blogosphere.

Despite such horrible handicaps, we just go ahead anyway and shoot great images.

Jun 25, 2013 at 03:25 PM
Neddie Seagoon
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · An observation

Monty, It's the lens, you're not really that fat.

@#&^! Nikon. Can't get anything right, can't even make Monty look good.

Jun 25, 2013 at 04:21 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · An observation

the solitaire wrote:
Some manual focus lenses just are too good to put them in a museum.

I keep using an old 55mm micro Nikkor whenever I want to shoot using my lightbox rather then the AF-S 105mm VR micro Nikkor because the images from that 1970īs lens are just more pleasing compared to the ones shot with the modern fully automatic lens.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1016511_352363041553515_1466978560_n.jpg

Shot with a Nikon D300, light tent with SB600 on the right, SB700 behind and on camera flash to light up the scene from the front.

55mm f3,5 Ai micro Nikkor at f8

That's the reason I'm awaiting delivery this week on my 37th manual focus Nikkor lens. And I keep pondering the question whether I should buy a 55 f/3.5 AI though the 55 f/2.8 AI-s in my kit has no oil on the blades and works just fine... As Laura said, you can't buy just one...

Jun 25, 2013 at 04:27 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · An observation

Tim Ashton wrote:
...off the op s subject, but Curtis, that is magic

tim

Thanks Tim. With this gear it is pretty easy to get worthy shots. The 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF is a dream for someone who hand holds everything. It is light, sharp wide open and plays well with tubes. Perfect combination in my mind.

Jun 25, 2013 at 04:35 PM
montym
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · An observation

Neddie Seagoon wrote:
Monty, It's the lens, you're not really that fat.

@#&^! Nikon. Can't get anything right, can't even make Monty look good.

Oh ya. IT's gonna take a lot more than Nikon can do to make me look good.

Jun 25, 2013 at 05:04 PM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · An observation

reheliphotog, I am a Nikon shooter but I got hooked on looking at the amazing pics on the "Your best Nikon Pics" thread. And the MF guys have equally amazing photos on their thread as well. Equipment threads are interesting but it is the beautiful art that keeps me coming back.

Jun 25, 2013 at 08:54 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · An observation

I used Canon cameras from the ae-1 program era. It wasn't until I tried the D7000 that I decided to switch and now with My new D600 I am in deep. That's why I keep posting photos and enjoying them more.

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:07 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.