New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for DX systems

VinnieJ
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for DX systems

Does anyone have this lens yet? I just got mine today and initial test show horrible focusing problems. I already put in for an exchange because I'm assuming it's defective. I've shot with the older one before on Canon and it was a nice lens for crop sensors. Even AF fine tuning doesn't help.

Jun 24, 2013 at 07:48 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for DX systems

I was not aware that there's a new 30/1.4 out from Sigma...

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:31 PM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for DX systems

Avi B wrote:
I was not aware that there's a new 30/1.4 out from Sigma...

They gave it the "Art" treatment.

Sigma 30/1.4 by [email protected], on Flickr

Jun 25, 2013 at 05:16 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for DX systems

Had the previous version on Pentax K5 - I loved it, one of my most used lenses, very sharp indeed and not as soft in the corners as reputed. Hope your replacement works as advertised !

Jun 25, 2013 at 05:33 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for DX systems

Frogfish wrote:
Had the previous version on Pentax K5 - I loved it, one of my most used lenses, very sharp indeed and not as soft in the corners as reputed. Hope your replacement works as advertised !

Optically, the biggest improvement is suppose to be corner performance.

Jun 25, 2013 at 06:01 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for DX systems

Anyone have one? I guess I'm looking for "I have one and it's great, almost as good as the 35/1.4". Too much to ask?

Jun 25, 2013 at 09:07 AM
jasoncallen
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for DX systems

Curious to hear others' opinions of the lens as well...

I had 3 copies of the old one - not one focused correctly without AF fine-tuning, and 2/3 had focus motors die. I swore off Sigma lenses for a long time because of that lens... That said, I have their 85/1.4 now, and love the heck out of it.

If the optics of the new 30/1.4 Art lens are as good as or better than the old one, and the reliability is comparable to Sigma's other new lenses, I'd wager to say it's a winner of a lens.

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:05 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for DX systems

Well I'll report back tomorrow on how the replacement works. If that is the same I'll probably just get the Nikon 28.

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:02 PM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for DX systems

Second copy is just as bad. Here is a quick write up:

For those considering the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DX lens, it easily qualifies as one of the worst lenses I've ever tested. I've tried two copies and both were garbage on the D7100. Focus is horribly inaccurate. You need to set an AF fine tune based on the distance your subject is away from you. Who wants to deal with that? Plus it's not sharp until you stop it down to 2.8. Obviously there are cheaper 2.8 options out there.

Samples (focus is on front of the label, click through for larger image).

Sigma 30mm @ 1.4 by [email protected], on Flickr

Sigma 30mm @ 2.0 by [email protected], on Flickr

Sigma 30mm @ 2.8 by [email protected], on Flickr

Sigma 30mm @ 4 by [email protected], on Flickr

Jun 26, 2013 at 04:05 PM
Elan II
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for DX systems

I bought a used copy from a photographer switching to FX a couple of years ago. It was a good copy and I still enjoy using it, but the Nikon 35/1.8 is much more compact and has better quality across the frame at larger apertures, so I use it mostly and typically reach for the longer Sigma 50/1.4 when I want shallower DOF.

When the 30/1.4 first came out it was a unique lens with virtually no competition. There are better alternatives now in the 28mm to 50mm range.

Jun 26, 2013 at 05:39 PM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for DX systems

I'll probably end up trying out the Nikon 28/1.8G. Still need to decide.

Jun 26, 2013 at 06:15 PM
sworth
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for DX systems

I don't understand what I'm looking at with your photos VinnieJ. All it's showing is the narrow depth of field at 1.4. You're at an angle to the label, and at 1.4, the strip of focus is just a narrow slice across the top. Your focus is grabbing the top edge of the red. You really should test with something flat, not something round like that. It would also help to not be so close. This isn't a macro lens. You're probably right at the edge of its ability to focus.

Jun 28, 2013 at 01:06 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for DX systems

Yeah, that's not the best of test targets
My "high dollar" AF tweak station works great.

FWIW, I've been using the 35 f1.4 'A' on my D7K with outstanding results...no interest in the 30.
I have the 28 f1.8G if I need fast and wider.

Edited on Jun 28, 2013 at 01:21 PM · View previous versions

Jun 28, 2013 at 01:15 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for DX systems

sworth wrote:
I don't understand what I'm looking at with your photos VinnieJ. All it's showing is the narrow depth of field at 1.4. You're at an angle to the label, and at 1.4, the strip of focus is just a narrow slice across the top. Your focus is grabbing the top edge of the red. You really should test with something flat, not something round like that. It would also help to not be so close. This isn't a macro lens. You're probably right at the edge of its ability to focus.

+1. Unfortunately it is not possible to make any meaningful assessment of image quality from these shots. You should incorporate both suggestions from sworth to setup a more useful test

Jun 28, 2013 at 01:18 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for DX systems

trenchmonkey wrote:
Yeah, that's not the best of test targets
My "high dollar" AF tweak station works great.

This is good for testing AF, however OP is also trying to assess sharpness. These types of setups are exactly opposite of what you need when you are trying to assess sharpness.

Jun 28, 2013 at 01:21 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for DX systems

^ No, after you dial it in to FOCUS...you go out and discover the eye bleeding sharpness.
You can't get one without the other (especially shooting wide open)

Jun 28, 2013 at 01:27 PM
Sagar
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for DX systems

Will are you talking about recently launched Sigma 35mm vs OP question on 30mm?
I remember seeing this guy in Sigma 35mm/1.4 thread hence asking

Jun 28, 2013 at 04:07 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for DX systems

Yes Sagar, but I previously posted (under pic of fine tune set-up above)
FWIW, I've been using the 35 f1.4 'A' on my D7K with outstanding results...no interest in the 30.
I have the 28 f1.8G if I need fast and wider.

The OP's test target/distance leaves a lot to be desired. To reiterate: one must have focus to determine
sharpness...regardless of the lens in question.

Jun 28, 2013 at 04:14 PM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for DX systems

sworth wrote:

The image is heavily cropped, not meant to be a macro shot.

Jun 28, 2013 at 04:45 PM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for DX systems

trenchmonkey wrote:
^ No, after you dial it in to FOCUS...you go out and discover the eye bleeding sharpness.
You can't get one without the other (especially shooting wide open)

I did go through a "dot tune" session with the lens prior to doing this. It had a back focus between -5 and -15 depending on distance to subject.

Jun 28, 2013 at 04:47 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.