FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Doing my homework to set up website

moresnowdays

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Doing my homework to set up website

Trying to get set up with a more professional website.I have been a smug mug user for sometime, but not sure I want to stick with it. I was leaning tor ward Zenfolio, I like the simplicity and the integrated blog. Never had a blog before. Recently I came across Photodeck, and that looks great.

Anyone use Photodeck?

Jun 24, 2013 at 07:02 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Doing my homework to set up website

prophoto

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:03 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Doing my homework to set up website

Whatever you do when you set up your website, for the betterment of the industry, DO NOT use the clichéd words "passion", "passionate", "awesome", or "amazing" anywhere on your site.

Jun 25, 2013 at 01:00 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Doing my homework to set up website

Whatever you do when you set up your website, don't worry about what the "industry" thinks you should or should not do. DO NOT allow anyone to tell you what words you can or cannot use on your website. EFF that...

Jun 25, 2013 at 05:05 AM
J Knight
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Doing my homework to set up website

I too have come to loath the term 'passionate'. There seems to be some law that it can't possibly be a photographers site unless that word is used at least once on the first page. Been doing a lot of research looking at other peoples sites and I am just so utterly bored of the lack of imagination.

Passion, passionate, passion, passionate... its everywhere. No wonder clients cant remember one site from another.

Jun 25, 2013 at 05:09 AM
moresnowdays

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Doing my homework to set up website

Well,on one hand, I'm not one to be dictated to, but consider all suggestions. On the other hand, I think I try to hard too be straight up and not BS perspective clients to use words like passionate anyway. I'll stick with supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

So no one has used Photodeck.com?

Jun 25, 2013 at 06:43 AM
moresnowdays

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Doing my homework to set up website

As suggested by heikom, I looked at the prophoto offerings. Looks really nice, but I don't see where they offer an eCommerce section to sell prints and things of that nature. Do you handle that yourself with there set up?

Jun 25, 2013 at 08:29 AM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Doing my homework to set up website

Just use a hosting service and set up a Wordpress site. It's so easy and then you can manage it yourself, it's cheap and effective. Then outsource galleries to Zenfolio. $200 bucks a year tops to keep it all running.

Jun 25, 2013 at 08:47 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Doing my homework to set up website

J Knight wrote:
I too have come to loath the term 'passionate'. There seems to be some law that it can't possibly be a photographers site unless that word is used at least once on the first page. Been doing a lot of research looking at other peoples sites and I am just so utterly bored of the lack of imagination.

Passion, passionate, passion, passionate... its everywhere. No wonder clients cant remember one site from another.

That makes no sense....one word is not enough to make any one website indistinguishable from the next.

Speaking of looking at other sites, how about putting up yours?

Jun 25, 2013 at 09:25 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Doing my homework to set up website

maxwell1295 wrote:
DO NOT allow anyone to tell you what words you can or cannot use on your website. EFF that.

Let me guess ...

You have a PASSION for photography, take self-described AMAZING photos, and have AWESOME clients.

Jun 25, 2013 at 02:22 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Doing my homework to set up website

J Knight wrote:

Right. When everyone proclaims loudly how PASSIONATE they are about playing with a camera, everyone's the same.

Jun 25, 2013 at 02:28 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Doing my homework to set up website

moresnowdays wrote:
I try to hard too be straight up and not BS perspective clients to use words like passionate

Clients see "passionate", it sets off the BS meter.

Jun 25, 2013 at 02:31 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Doing my homework to set up website

D. Diggler wrote:
Let me guess ...

You have a PASSION for photography, take self-described AMAZING photos, and have AWESOME clients.

I don't think you will find the word "passion" anywhere on my website. I would never describe my photos as "amazing" because frankly, there's nothing particular amazing about anything I shoot. I do have awesome clients though....so 1 out of 3 ain't bad.

My point is don't let anyone tell you what to do with YOUR website....and especially photographers. Although we as a collective may get tired/bored/annoyed with certain things it's mainly because we see them ALL the time. These things will probably resonate with potential clients in a completely different manner.

Jun 26, 2013 at 06:55 AM
mjoshi
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Doing my homework to set up website

You are going to make site for your clients - not for other photographers, so it would be great if you also talk to some of your clients. Photographers will have their own take but at the end of day - it is between you and your clients, current & prospective. Make something that serves them well - rest all is noise.

Jun 26, 2013 at 09:12 AM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Doing my homework to set up website

RAWfolio > ProPhotoBlogs >>> Smugmug / Zenfolio.

This is from a guy with a ProPhoto setup. I just don't have the time to redo my site or I'd jump to RAWfolio.

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:23 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Doing my homework to set up website

Jamesbjenkins wrote:
RAWfolio > ProPhotoBlogs >>> Smugmug / Zenfolio.

This is from a guy with a ProPhoto setup. I just don't have the time to redo my site or I'd jump to RAWfolio.

why it only takes a few hours. ive done it many times

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:49 AM
moresnowdays

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Doing my homework to set up website

RAWfolio looks nice, the only thing I don't see is where clients have the option to buy prints, create collections and rank photos. Are people using RAWfolio in conjunction with something like Zenfolio for the gallery features?

I like how Photodeck does it, and the sites I look at load faster it seems. The issue to me is they have a 40Gb limit for photo storage. I like the unlimited storage of Zenfolio to work as sort of an additional archive. Not sure what others think on this one?

Jun 26, 2013 at 03:54 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Doing my homework to set up website

I use a Wordpress template from graphpaperpress.com and I host my client gallery on zenfolio. Pretty seamless. Or you can use the graphpaperpress sales plugin for Wordpress. I've never tried it. Zenfolio is pretty seamlessly integrated with my website IMO.

Jun 26, 2013 at 04:20 PM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Doing my homework to set up website

Brian Virts wrote:
Just use a hosting service and set up a Wordpress site. It's so easy and then you can manage it yourself, it's cheap and effective. Then outsource galleries to Zenfolio. $200 bucks a year tops to keep it all running.

This!

Jun 26, 2013 at 05:54 PM
bwield
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Doing my homework to set up website

Rawfolio + Zenfolio works well for me

Jun 26, 2013 at 05:55 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.