New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Aging Gracefully

eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Aging Gracefully

My mom turns 91 this week. I was fortunate to be able to spend some time with her this past weekend. She's still very active and enjoying life. Shot with my NEX 6 and 30 year old Minolta 1.7 MD 50. Any pp suggestions appreciated.

© eeneryma 2012

Aging Gracefully

Jun 24, 2013 at 05:08 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Aging Gracefully

Nice capture, diggin' the use of the Alt Glass ... looks a bit cyanic though @ WB.

Took a stab at tweaks, hopefully I did her justice @ she looks like a very gracious woman that our world could use many, many more of.

Edited on Jun 24, 2013 at 05:50 PM · View previous versions

Jun 24, 2013 at 05:34 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Aging Gracefully

Just checked and I agree . Without going back and adjusting in raw, what is the best way to adjust white balance at this point in CS6?

Jun 24, 2013 at 05:48 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Aging Gracefully

I use color balance layer for most things as my starting base. You can tweak on highlights, midtones and shadows semi-indepedently as their ranges do overlap, but they are at least "weighted" to the various regions. There are some other ways ... eyedroppers in levels, curves, etc., and hue in saturation come to mind ... but I prefer using a very "manual" approach @ reading the numbers as I adjust the sliders rather than a "click here" approach.

Sometimes, I follow that with hue adjustment in saturation layer, but mostly I find that after I correct for some WB, then things are a bit oversaturated and need pulled back a touch either globally or selectively.

In your mom's case, I pulled back on it both globally and with a little selective @ yellow. Always a bit tricky when you don't know what the colors really are, but I do know that most older women of grace don't have blue hair.

Jun 24, 2013 at 05:55 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Aging Gracefully

Great job!! Thank you for your directions.

Jun 24, 2013 at 06:03 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Aging Gracefully

nice portrait
Kent did a nice job with color balance/temp issues
I'm wishing you had a bit more depth of field. The left eye and left side of the face fall out of focus a bit too quickly for me
I like the crop you have chosen

Scott

Jun 24, 2013 at 06:55 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Aging Gracefully

Good point Scott. Would have been better if left eye was in focus. Thank you.

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:30 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Aging Gracefully

Here's another shot from the same session which takes into account some of your suggestions about color, white balance, and focus. Your thoughts?

© eeneryma 2012

Another go

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:49 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Aging Gracefully

Perhaps some tweaks to rotate and selectively lighten/darken, etc.?

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Aging Gracefully

Wonderful capture and expression of character.

Of all posts, I think the second pose and Karen's re-work serves best.

Nit watch: The OOF crown of her forehead seems incongruous with her hair being in focus for the most part, I find my eye drawn to that area (trying to resolve?).

That aside, lovely image. She is at ease, and based upon personal experiences with my 89 year-old mother, is willingly cooperating (I cannot say the same in my case).

Well done!

Bob

Jun 25, 2013 at 06:53 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Aging Gracefully

+1 @ Scott (left eye focus area), but I do prefer the pose/expression of the first one.

Karen's rework is using gamma for some push/pull (draw the eye to the face) by lightening the face and darkening the other areas, but there seems to be an unnatural discord between her face and neck skin tones for me on this one.

To me, the skin tones should be a bit more similar ... curious @ maybe just lighten the face without darkening the neck so much.

Jun 25, 2013 at 07:40 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Aging Gracefully

thank you antipode for that detailed and illuminating "map" of what you did. Love the results.
Bob: Although my mother appreciates and encourages my photography, she finds it unsettling to view all of her lines and wrinkles. A most common reaction.

Jun 25, 2013 at 07:40 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Aging Gracefully

eeneryma wrote:
<snip>
Bob: Although my mother appreciates and encourages my photography, she finds it unsettling to view all of her lines and wrinkles. A most common reaction.

Tell that to my mother-in-law

Jun 25, 2013 at 08:06 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Aging Gracefully

Ah, like most folks, she wants to look her best. Try making small liquify filter changes. Then make a duplicate layer and erase all the wrinkles. (I usually use the patch tool.) Then lower the opacity of the duplicate layer to blend back some of the now lessened wrinkles. The opacity slider controls how much to add back.

Edited on Jun 25, 2013 at 10:04 PM · View previous versions

Jun 25, 2013 at 06:13 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Aging Gracefully

Antipode, you are a photoshop magician, and my mother will be amazed by your "fountain of youth"!

Jun 25, 2013 at 08:11 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.