Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Magna Metlako

Mark Metternich
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Magna Metlako

After many attempts over the last 5 years I finally got to this special location in the Columbia River Gorge. Metlako, socked in by 150 foot cliffs would not show her glory easily! With back to back workshops this year, I only had a one day window of opportunity, before spring greens fade to brown and river levels drop. Long story short: a sprained ankle, blisters on my feet, tweaked knees, poison oak, tweaked lower back, 2 broken carbon fiber Black Diamond hiking poles, cuts all over my arms, cuts all over my hands, bruises, bruised ribs from taking a slide/fall down a steep face, pulled muscles, sore muscles and exhaustion from one of the most difficult 10 hour adventures I have yet done, finally got me there. Various takes from many different positions will follow, but because I am mostly on the road until fall I thought I would do a quick job on this one to share with the group.

*Please forgive me if I don't respond here for a while, I am largely away from communications during this time of year.

To help with scale, both waterfalls are approximately 100 feet high.

Canon 5D Mark2
Canon 16-35@16
f/5.6 for sky and foliage @ 0.3 shutter
f/7.1 @ 0.5 shutter for waterfall
f/13 @ 2 seconds for bottom pool of water
100 ISO

Sky blended with my "Blend If" for dynamic range technique.

Thank you for your comments and looking.

Most accurately viewed on a calibrated, wide gamut monitor, on Safari, Firefox or Chrome.

Ouch

Edited on Jun 24, 2013 at 10:39 PM · View previous versions

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:40 PM
roguecoolman
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Magna Metlako

Wonderful view and thanks for sharing the technique.

Awful battle scars but the photo was worth it

Jason

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:58 PM
A.T.M.

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Magna Metlako

You mean Metternich falls! Congratulations on this man, I hope people realize how hard this shot was to get. You are the first person I have seen professionally photograph from inside the bowl here, wish I could have been there with you on this man! Can't wait to see more.

andrew

Jun 24, 2013 at 09:11 PM
dakel
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Magna Metlako

Always enjoy reading your stories along with seeing your pictures. The great thing about the hard work that you are doing is that you are coming away with unique views of commonly photographed places. I'm curious if the trees really lean in like that, or if that is exaggerated because you tilted the lens?

My eye was immediately drawn to the larger waterfall on the right but then drifted back to the smaller waterfall. This waterfall adds a depth to the photo. I also love the vibrant colours.

Jun 24, 2013 at 09:25 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Magna Metlako

dakel wrote:
Always enjoy reading your stories along with seeing your pictures. The great thing about the hard work that you are doing is that you are coming away with unique views of commonly photographed places. I'm curious if the trees really lean in like that, or if that is exaggerated because you tilted the lens?

Thank you very much. I have always loved the stories behind peoples photos, so I generally gravitate toward sharing the behind the scenes stuff. Yes, some of the trees are leaning pretty heavily.

Jun 24, 2013 at 09:31 PM
PhilPDX
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Magna Metlako

Nice view, although you seemed to have paid dearly for it.

The WB is a bit off and I find the lighter, blueish-gray shadow area of the overhanging rock on the right side to be somewhat distracting. Probably a result of the blending technique you used.

-Phil

Jun 24, 2013 at 09:58 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Magna Metlako

PhilPDX wrote:
Nice view, although you seemed to have paid dearly for it.

The WB is a bit off and I find the lighter, blueish-gray shadow area of the overhanging rock on the right side to be somewhat distracting. Probably a result of the blending technique you used.

-Phil

Thank Phil. Yeah, I got a bit beat up, but I'm good now.

I agree that area is a bit distracting. I was definitely a little sloppy in post Production here, I only had about an hour to look at the files and do a quick preliminary post. I will take much more care in the re-do.

The area is due to spray on the lens not the "Blend If" for dynamic range, technique. I took about 50 shots from each angle/position I shot from and I'm pretty sure there are a few that are cleaner.

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:38 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Magna Metlako

Wow, Beautifully done Mark.
Harsha

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:11 AM
mike reid
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Magna Metlako

Carnage! great shot, now bring on the neosporin

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Magna Metlako

Damn! You got roughed up pretty good but that spot definitely looks like it's worth it.

You got the goods so thats great!

Jun 25, 2013 at 03:10 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

roman.johnston
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Magna Metlako

Epic adventure...see...while we love to see the shots. The being there....had to be one of the more exciting moments of your life. Awesome work my friend.

Roman

Jun 25, 2013 at 03:43 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Magna Metlako

roman.johnston wrote:
The being there....had to be one of the more exciting moments of your life!
Roman

Yes! Thanks Roman.

I thrive on the occasional original thing that usually takes great effort and logistics to pull off. Very satisfying. I don't want to get the reputation as always doing radical things for photos, because I lead a very wide variety of people to all kinds of places for photo adventures, but for my own personal work, occasionally I need a project that really challenges me.

Jun 25, 2013 at 04:13 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Magna Metlako

Mark Metternich wrote:
Long story short: a sprained ankle, blisters on my feet, tweaked knees, poison oak, tweaked lower back, 2 broken carbon fiber Black Diamond hiking poles, cuts all over my arms, cuts all over my hands, bruises, bruised ribs from taking a slide/fall down a steep face, pulled muscles, sore muscles and exhaustion from one of the most difficult 10 hour adventures I have yet done, finally got me there.

no pain no gain
(good shot!)

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Mstic
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Magna Metlako

excellent photo!!

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Dirtyharry71
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Magna Metlako

nice !

so how do the kayak people get there in or out then
without hurting themselves too much ?

Jun 25, 2013 at 02:14 PM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Magna Metlako

Love it, Mark. Did you use any filters for the image? Or did you strictly blend them in post?

-Nick

Jun 25, 2013 at 03:53 PM
B Landau
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Magna Metlako

Thanks for posting a different view of Metlako. It is also interesting to see the amount tree debris that is blocking Sorenson Falls.

Jun 25, 2013 at 03:59 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Magna Metlako

Dirtyharry71 wrote:
nice !

so how do the kayak people get there in or out then
without hurting themselves too much ?

They commonly get hurt from what I have been told by some of them. Metlako is tough.

nburwell wrote:
Love it, Mark. Did you use any filters for the image? Or did you strictly blend them in post?

-Nick

Thank you. A circular polarizer only. Again, this was done way too fast. When I get back home I will do a series on the falls and take much greater care in post...

B Landau wrote:
Thanks for posting a different view of Metlako. It is also interesting to see the amount tree debris that is blocking Sorenson Falls.

You are welcome. More to come. Yes tons of debris in there. Trees are often falling into the bowl especially after huge rains...

I'm on the road again, so sorry if I cant reply for a week or so...

Jun 25, 2013 at 04:36 PM
bktools
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Magna Metlako

Spectacular image of the falls, Mark.

Bob

Jun 25, 2013 at 07:42 PM
BryanSwan
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Magna Metlako

Big time respect for pulling this one off Mark. I didn't even think such a shot would be possible without shooting from a kayak or a raft, but I guess that little rocky point that you see from the trail-side viewpoint is guarding a more navigable chunk of terrain there? I also have to say, for me at least, this is the most interesting and compelling shot you've posted in a long time.

I do have to ask - and I totally understand if you don't want to spill the beans for any of several legitimate reasons - but regarding your route in, did you find some way to come down from above (and if so were ropes involved?) or did you come up from below with your pack raft?

Jun 26, 2013 at 04:29 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password