Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Warning Warning Will Robinson!

3D.Doug
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Warning Warning Will Robinson!

While this does not just apply to alternative gear areas, there is a probably greater chance someone could find it looking for something like Leica for example.

I came across a web site that had prices that were honestly to good to be true. Well, they sure seemed that way to me. the web site is www.guttotop.com I appreciate a good deal as much as the next guy, but when I see prices that are almost alarmingly cheap, my radar goes off. That happened here.

I checked the domain name, the address, even did a google view of the address, a residence. I am still not 100% convinced the address or name listed at the domain registar match who is actually at the gmail address they list in their domain registration. How could you know?

I inquired about possibly buying using escrow, was told they only accept paypal. Lastly, I emailed and asked about meeting them to buy in person, and paying cash, I never got a response to that email.

Where it really gets interesting, during my search, I found a second web site, that at the time, was stylized almost exactly like the first web site, and the product list was almost identical. That site is www.hobbstorm.com

I noted the high similarities and figured I'd ask the contat at guttotop directly about this, I said why are your products and web sites so close? They said there was no affiliation. I thought, well, sure. Later, maybe 1 day later, the web site at hobbstorm.com was down with a message: "Temporarily closed for updates".

I have jpg screen shots of that, and the old web site front looking like guttotop.com before they changed it so they no longer match, as "closely".

Coincidence I ask?

You be the judge. But I'd recommend extreme caution. If anyone is truly interested, I could post screen shots of the before and after of Hobbstorm, as it used to look. :-)

I believe what I believe, you can believe what you want to. I asked for references, and was given a generic like like, we have satisfied customers all over the world. Ok, well who are they I asked!!! No response.

Jun 24, 2013 at 02:47 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Warning Warning Will Robinson!

Well, there's more than just the prices that are red flags. They have nothing but the most expensive gear. In Canon lenses, they only have Superteles. In Cameras, only the 1Ds III and 1DX. Also...their address is a house, according to Google Street View (which I now see you mention).

They don't have ANY ratings in resellerratings.

Jun 24, 2013 at 03:01 PM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Warning Warning Will Robinson!

That's why I posted it, to see what else people see. It's a good learning experience. Yes, I did google street view too. But really, there is nothing necessarily saying the domain is really registered to that house. That house address could just as easily be any address in America. I mean, who's to stop them from entering any name and address in a domain registration? That's my take anyway. The registered domain owner is a legitimate name in AZ, is that person really tied to this domain name? I don't know.

Any legitimate business with a store front would accept credit cards, not just paypal. Unless they are very very small time. Another flag. As I said, they told me they only accepted paypal. But if it's a hijacked account, they transfer the money, yank it by the time you get the idea there is no delivery and file with paypal, your money could be long gone.

Jun 24, 2013 at 06:36 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Warning Warning Will Robinson!

That house is the contact address on the main website too.

Jun 24, 2013 at 06:39 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Warning Warning Will Robinson!

Old saying: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is......

Jun 24, 2013 at 07:18 PM
Bijltje
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Warning Warning Will Robinson!

Thank you for warning!

You call leica as an example, good thing about leica is they don't let the dealers sell under the standard price. Every official dealer handles the same price. So if the prices are different from standard you know something isn't right.
So luckily we don't have to deal with these types of websites.

Jun 25, 2013 at 01:39 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Warning Warning Will Robinson!

lukeb wrote:
Old saying: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is......

But that's just it: This scenario sounds AWFUL, ergo, it must be genuine! ;D

Jun 25, 2013 at 02:13 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.