Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · N + J @ South Lodge // Wedding

tonyhart
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · N + J @ South Lodge // Wedding

I posted one image from this wedding a little while back. Here's a few more. I went to school with this bride although I can't claim to really know her anymore! After what I considered to be a bit of a ropey wedding from my POV a few weeks back, this one felt like an improvement. We got extremely lucky with the weather, it was pissing it down until 20mins prior to the ceremony! Things came good in the end!

Critique welcome as ever.

Jun 24, 2013 at 04:07 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · N + J @ South Lodge // Wedding

11 is a little weird for me.
the rest are solid
I really really really love 36 ... like big time

I think you could show lik 3-5 less of them together for the portraits and still have a really strong set.

Jun 24, 2013 at 04:57 PM
robink

p.1 #3 · N + J @ South Lodge // Wedding

People who get married outside in the UK are very brave

I love your set, very well done

Jun 24, 2013 at 05:11 PM
martinezphoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · N + J @ South Lodge // Wedding

Brilliant set Tony. The first shot with the shoes is genius.

Jun 24, 2013 at 05:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #5 · N + J @ South Lodge // Wedding

Cheers guys, appreciate the feedback. Take your point about the portraits Doug. Think you're right. What isn't working for you about 11?

They did have an option for an inside room for the wedding if it had continued raining, but I agree that outside weddings are a lottery here in the UK!

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:57 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · N + J @ South Lodge // Wedding

11 is just to far off to the side and kind of weird because of the beveled mirror. It is not bad just not blog worthy IMO.

Jun 24, 2013 at 09:02 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #7 · N + J @ South Lodge // Wedding

I'll never understand how you folks use harsh light so successfully. Every time I'm out shooting and I see high, overhead sun I just run away in fear.

Great set. Clean, consistent, nothing standing out (good or bad).

Number 4 vs 7 is interesting. First, they're the same photo. I think you only need one of them. 4 is tremendously weaker - there's too much dead space to the right, she looks oddly distorted. In my mind, it's not a successful use of an ultra wide. 7 is the exact same composition, yet is SO much better, really a strong photo. Perhaps someone more technically minded like Chuck could give you a better explanation as to why, but the photo seems so much more balanced. I think it has to do with the direction of the bride's gaze, the deeper shadows on the right, and the smaller amount of distortion on the bride's face.

23-25 are quite repetitive. On a blog, I think you only need one of the three.

18 is great. Would've preferred just a bit more of the building - tilt the camera just a bit farther up.

40 gets bonus points for good natural framing, although the light on the couple is a bit funky/spotty.

Overall, I think this would be a much stronger set if you trimmed some of the fat. Had you posted maybe 25-30 of the best of these, it would clean up much nicer.

Jun 24, 2013 at 09:21 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #8 · N + J @ South Lodge // Wedding

Hi Mike. Thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehensive critique. Really useful. In particular, you've got to the heart of how I could have cut this set down further. I completely agree about 4 vs 7 and 23-25. I guess I got too caught up in trying to tell the story comic cell by comic cell! I'm not sure I would have brought it down to 25 images, but 35-40 would have been tighter and eminently achievable. As for 40, I like the light, it's non-distracting. The only thing I'd change would be to have not cut the bottom of the dress of. I have a few other similar frames where I've composed better, but the expressions weren't as nice so I went with this one.

As for harsh light, I hate it too. With burning passion. It's just one of those things and over the years I've got a bit better at managing it. I still look at the beach photographers from Florida and so forth and am amazed though, those guys know how to handle it!

Thanks again.

P.S. Doug, glad you liked 36, I enjoyed shooting that one. That tree looked fantastic in that landscape with that light but the whole thing was ringed by waist high stinging nettles. Got a dude from the venue to roll us in there on a humungous golf cart! I was convinced the thing was going to turn over as it was long and tall and the ground stupidly uneven!

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:53 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password