Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · CS6 vs CC....user opinions please?

anthonygh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · CS6 vs CC....user opinions please?

Leaving aside the issues around CC being for rental only...has anyone now got enough real hands on experience of both CS6 and CC to give an opinion as to whether the 'upgrade' is worthwhile in terms of new features...has it become anyone's 'must have' bit of software?

And second, would the upgrade costs and the loss of permanent 'ownership' of the program be worth paying for..... are any improvements in CC so good they justify a move from CS6 to CC despite the loss of ownership...particularly bearing in mind users can combine CS6 with any version of LR for the foreseeable future?

Jun 24, 2013 at 09:19 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · CS6 vs CC....user opinions please?

CC is a nice upgrade to CS6 but like all upgrades before it not compelling and easily skipped waiting for the next upgrade. Problem is as they add features piece meal instead of version upgrades in the future when will it become compelling? At $360 for the next 2 years and $240 a year there after I'll stick with CS6 which is more good enough for all my needs.

Yes $10 a year with permanent licensee at the end of a 2 year commitment would be a more compelling reason to switch. Adobe hope your listening

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · CS6 vs CC....user opinions please?

WAYCOOL wrote:
Yes $10 a year with permanent licensee at the end of a 2 year commitment would be a more compelling reason to switch. Adobe hope your listening

I'm assuming you meant $10 a month there

Even at $20, $30 or yes even $40 a month I'd sign up now IF it was a maintenance plan where I simply got the updates to my already perpetual license. I don't mind paying a maintenance fee for updates, but having bought a perpetual license already, I don't want my updates (that I paid for) taken away.

If Adobe would just fix that one thing - I'd be on board.

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:03 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · CS6 vs CC....user opinions please?

$40/month for a maintenance plan on top of an already purchased perpetual license ... surely you're kidding right.

That'd be $960 for two years of "maintenance" ON TOP OF your purchase price for the perpetual license.

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · CS6 vs CC....user opinions please?

RustyBug wrote:
$40/month for a maintenance plan on top of an already purchased perpetual license ... surely you're kidding right.

That'd be $960 for two years of "maintenance" ON TOP OF your purchase price for the perpetual license.

As an anual maintenance fee to maintain a perpetual licence is one hell of a lot better than $68 a month (which is what it costs here!) for 'rental' and no license at the end.

Jun 24, 2013 at 01:32 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · CS6 vs CC....user opinions please?

I want $10 a year but yes meant $10 a month Its time for a update if you find it a good update then $360 is not much more than a $299 upgrade and a bit easier to swallow.

Jun 24, 2013 at 02:50 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · CS6 vs CC....user opinions please?

The big difference, and the reason so many photographers hate this plan, is that with a normal upgrade (which was $199, not $299), after you pay for the upgrade, you have that upgrade forever. With CC, you must continue to pay $10 a month in perpetuity, or you lose ALL the upgrades you've been paying for for years. So, if instead of releasing CC, they release CS7, then CS8...in 3 years, I'll have paid $400 (at the 3 year cutoff, this is the highest point..of course at 4 years, it'll still be 400), and will have CS8 forever if I choose to not upgrade ever again. With CC, though, I'll have paid $360, and if I decide to stop paying, I have CS6 (or nothing if you didn't own CS6 to begin with). I'm not in the habit of paying $360 and being left with nothing at the end if I decide I want to not upgrade anymore. And that's with the reduced price that they're discussing...as of now, it's $10 a month for a year, then $20 a month thereafter.

I've already paid about $1,400 on Photoshop (6, then 7, CS2, CS5 and CS6)...now, if I want to go beyond CS6...I need to pay $20 a month, well, forever, if if I ever want to keep the upgrades beyond CS6. Four years in, there's really little incentive for Adobe to keep developing new features....they'll have you trapped, and you need to keep paying or lose all the new features introduced up to then, and drop back to CS6 with nothing to show for the hundreds upon hundreds of dollars spent since CS6.

Jun 24, 2013 at 02:57 PM
Nickle S.
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · CS6 vs CC....user opinions please?

Jman13 wrote:
The big difference, and the reason so many photographers hate this plan, is that with a normal upgrade (which was $199, not $299), after you pay for the upgrade, you have that upgrade forever. With CC, you must continue to pay $10 a month in perpetuity, or you lose ALL the upgrades you've been paying for for years. So, if instead of releasing CC, they release CS7, then CS8...in 3 years, I'll have paid $400 (at the 3 year cutoff, this is the highest point..of course at 4 years, it'll still be 400), and will have CS8 forever if I
...Show more

Jman,

+1

I'm in the same boat as you and you have precisely hit all of the key points of the mess that Adobe has created for themselves. Very well said.

Nicholas
www.copperhillimages.com

Jun 24, 2013 at 03:46 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · CS6 vs CC....user opinions please?

anthonygh wrote:
Leaving aside the issues around CC being for rental only...has anyone now got enough real hands on experience of both CS6 and CC to give an opinion as to whether the 'upgrade' is worthwhile in terms of new features...has it become anyone's 'must have' bit of software?

And second, would the upgrade costs and the loss of permanent 'ownership' of the program be worth paying for..... are any improvements in CC so good they justify a move from CS6 to CC despite the loss of ownership...particularly bearing in mind users can combine CS6 with any version of LR for the foreseeable
...Show more

At this point in time, I don't think the differences (deblur filter, ACR adjustments on any layer, etc.) between CS6 and CC are worth the switch. But I have little doubt that after the dust settles around this change, Adobe will roll out some really great stuff and begin to leave CS6 behind. I suspect this will happen in less than 12 months.

Jun 24, 2013 at 06:36 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · CS6 vs CC....user opinions please?

what is so great about ACR adjustments on any layer? What is in ACR that isn't in PS Layers already?

Jun 24, 2013 at 06:51 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · CS6 vs CC....user opinions please?

RustyBug wrote:

+1

May the Adobe CFO who came up with this sinister plan rot in a very uncomfortable place.

Jun 24, 2013 at 07:31 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.