Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · What to do with dead pixels on sensor?

amacal1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What to do with dead pixels on sensor?

I have a 7D that I bought used a few months back. I can't be certain that it came with this problem, but that's reall beside the point. How can I deal with this problem now?

I notice 2 small pixels that are always white in every picture. Well, one if the spots may be a couple of pixels since it's larger than the other spot. It's hardly noticeable except on dark subjects/backgrounds and even then it hardly stands out. It's even super easy to fix in PS.

But, fixing every image in this way is impossible/impractical. Furthermore, in videos the spots are HUGE and very noticeable since the relative number of pixels is quite small. So, I'd really appreciate some advice about how/if I can solve this problem. Will the camera's built-in spot removal features solve this? Is there a post-processing software tool I can use? Can this be fixed by Canon for less than arm/leg money?

Jun 24, 2013 at 01:43 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What to do with dead pixels on sensor?

Whatever software you use to process images will/can map them out automatically.

Jun 24, 2013 at 02:27 PM
amacal1
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What to do with dead pixels on sensor?

How should I implement this in PS CS3?

Jun 24, 2013 at 03:02 PM
jaybird555
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What to do with dead pixels on sensor?

What to do with dead pixels on sensor? Bury or cremate them

Jun 24, 2013 at 03:10 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What to do with dead pixels on sensor?

Dead pixels was one of the reasons I started shooting in raw. The converters will replace the dead/hot pixels. I'm surprised the jpeg engine in the 7D doesn't do this. I think Canon service can map them out but I don't know the costs; you could call.

Jun 24, 2013 at 03:16 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What to do with dead pixels on sensor?

There is the old 'do an extended sensor clean with a lens cap on' trick that many say works to 'remap' the dead pixels but if you use a program like Lightroom they magically disappear (not with DPP though)

Jun 24, 2013 at 03:26 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What to do with dead pixels on sensor?

amacal1 wrote:
How should I implement this in PS CS3?

I can't speak for CS3, but I suspect that the fix may have come later than that version. I _think_ I recall first noticing the feature in perhaps CS4, when I first opened some raw files in ACR and watched it map out the hot "red" pixels that were found in a few places on my sensor. Since that time I have never seen them again.

It may be that you need a newer version of the program. An less expensive alternative, though it can have its own set of complexities perhaps, might be to get the newest version of Lightroom, which will do the same thing, and use that to do your raw conversions.

Dan

Jun 24, 2013 at 03:40 PM
amacal1
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What to do with dead pixels on sensor?

Jeff Nolten wrote:
I think Canon service can map them out but I don't know the costs; you could call.

This would be ideal. This way could fix it for video as well. I'll check up on this.

Jun 24, 2013 at 04:22 PM
chmod

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What to do with dead pixels on sensor?

I have had such pixels removed by Canon service twice. Once on my 1Ds M3, and recently in conjunction with a factory recall of some gear lube issue on my 1DX. My 1DX had one, single hot pixel - call it dead, call it whatever - and it is gone now.

The make an "electrical adjustment" on the sensor and the persistant spots (single pixels) are gone.

I can verify they removed them, but the explanation is lacking detail.

I have also used software to remove them, obviously easier than shipping a body in, but it is nice to have them gone by default.

Jun 24, 2013 at 04:42 PM
amacal1
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What to do with dead pixels on sensor?

Thank you all for your responses. This makes me feel WAYYYYY better.

Has this all been CPS work? I don't have CPS, so if just have to send it in for "repairs".
Any idea what this might cost?

Jun 24, 2013 at 04:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gome1122
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What to do with dead pixels on sensor?

Have you ever tried dust delete data. It's almost the same thing, and it will probably have the same effect. It's in Camera too with the 7D.

Jun 24, 2013 at 05:32 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What to do with dead pixels on sensor?

The camera cap remap will ditch most of them. I did it 4 years ago on both my 7D and 5D2 and haven't noticed any hot pixels since.

Jun 24, 2013 at 05:59 PM
amacal1
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What to do with dead pixels on sensor?

Hmm... I was not aware of such a thing. I will try that tonight. Thanks for the heads up.

Jun 24, 2013 at 06:04 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What to do with dead pixels on sensor?

Canon does not actually fix the pixels, it just writes to a nonvolatile memory to map (extrapolate) them out.

With the newer cameras this can often be done automatically as detailed above in this thread. Take all accessories (lenses, etc.) off the camera and make sure the front cap is on. Place it into sensor clean mode and then wait about a minute before turning it off. Often times this fixes the problem, if not sending it into canon is the alternative.

Jun 24, 2013 at 06:06 PM
outlawyer
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What to do with dead pixels on sensor?

The "long exposure with lens/body cap on" trick worked fine on my 5D. The details are in a thread here somewhere.

Jun 24, 2013 at 06:07 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What to do with dead pixels on sensor?

chmod wrote:
I have had such pixels removed by Canon service twice.

By the way, Canon cannot actually "remove" the bad pixels, or photosites. They simply map them out in the camera, the same thing that your post-processing software accomplishes.

Dan

Jun 24, 2013 at 07:16 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What to do with dead pixels on sensor?

Its not exactly same, cause it re-maps them on HW level. Better than SW.. (and obviously fixes JPG too).

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:03 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What to do with dead pixels on sensor?

Mescalamba wrote:
(and obviously fixes JPG too).

Good point. I work entirely in raw, so I wasn't thinking about that.

Dan

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:10 PM
amacal1
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What to do with dead pixels on sensor?

Mega Fail. The Body Cap Remap did not work. They may or may not be slightly less visible, but hardly. They're still "hot" pixels.

I guess I will be calling Canon tomorrow.

Thanks for all of the help.

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:41 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password