Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              33       34       end

Archive 2013 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

mrgetalife
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

I wouldn't get so up on the Button and Lever placement on the D400. It will have a AF-ON button. And more likely will follow the D800 and current Nikon layout.

And hopefully it will still have Compact Flash. Because SD cards are still slow as hell.

Jun 27, 2013 at 09:42 PM
tdong
• • •
p.4 #2 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

i would pay d400 for the same price as the d600 if it is at least 10 frames per second at 24mb (possible because I have nex 7 which shoot 10 frames per second) buffer should hold 50 raws 200 jpeg. better iso than d800 crop mode . more cross sensor types for f8 autofocus .

Jun 28, 2013 at 01:56 AM
RRRoger
• • •
p.4 #3 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

mrgetalife wrote:
I wouldn't get so up on the Button and Lever placement on the D400. It will have a AF-ON button. And more likely will follow the D800 and current Nikon layout.

And hopefully it will still have Compact Flash. Because SD cards are still slow as hell.

Where have you been?

SanDisk Extreme is 95s (90s write).
This is faster than most Compact Flash Cards.
I have the 64GB version SDXC in my D800 and can not tell the difference in camera from the Lexar 1000x CF which is supposed to be the fastest..
Only when I use a fast USB3 reader can I tell any difference, and that is transfer speed.
It is write speed that the Camera needs.

I am OK with SD. It is the micro/mini version that I am afraid of.
Don't be surprised when they start using them to save space and weight in new cameras.

Jun 28, 2013 at 01:41 PM
Elan II
• • •
p.4 #4 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

You can make a safe bet that if Nikon is releasing a D400, it will be in a different category from the D7100 in enough areas to make it attractive for the buyer. I've not seen Nikon release a body that outright tanked so far or that wasn't tiered correctly. The D3x came close, but that was a price issue and not it being too close to the next tier at the time.

Jun 28, 2013 at 02:02 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.4 #5 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

I would not be surprised if they announced a D4s/x at/near the same time as the D400

Jun 28, 2013 at 02:10 PM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.4 #6 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

RRRoger wrote:
Where have you been?

SanDisk Extreme is 95s (90s write).
This is faster than most Compact Flash Cards.
I have the 64GB version SDXC in my D800 and can not tell the difference in camera from the Lexar 1000x CF which is supposed to be the fastest..

I use San Disk Extreme 16GB (45MB/s) and much prefer it over my San Disk Extreme 32GB (60MB/s) CF (I just hate those bloody pins) ! Smaller, easier to carry backups and to use and can plug them into any laptop / desktop even an iPad.

Jun 28, 2013 at 02:40 PM
frankpetronio
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #7 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

I love the idea of a D400 but I am a doubter. First, the price will likely need to be a bit higher than what people can buy a D600 body for, so most of the hobby-snap shooters are going to get D600s without considering the performance advantages of a D400. That leaves a smaller number of the more serious photographers as the market for the D400 and these are the same people who Nikon has been chipping away for years now. They've had time to save and be frustrated so many have gone to D700s and D800s already. Considering the market, a D400 would probably be the lowest volume seller of the entire Nikon line. At least a low-volume camera like a D4 sells for a lot of money with concurrently higher profits, but they'd have to keep the price of a D400 as low as possible to keep it competitive, so the money isn't there.

Plus Nikon hasn't released any decent DX lenses recently, not even an updated 24/2.8 prime that would be very popular with serious togs, street shooters, students. They expect you to buy a FX 28/1.8 instead. And everything they have released has been plasticy consumer-grade and cheap feeling until you spend $1500.

Thom Hogan's whining about DX is perfectly logical and correct but it's been ignored for years now. I agree with his assessments, which unfortunately are gloomy about the wisdom of Nikon's management. Or maybe the entire Japanese camera industry that tends to ignore its best customers wholesale.

Face it, if you are a wildlife, sports photographer - or you simply want a solid professional body - Nikon wants you to get the D4 and the best fast glass, there will no longer be any bargains like the D300 used to be.

And if Nikon actually does make a D400, considering that the D800 and D600 both had uncommonly high quality control problems, would you really want to be the first on your block to get one? Heck I can afford a D800 but I don't need it ~ and given the QC issues, I don't want to risk getting a lemon that Nikon won't even service properly. Plus... they'll burden it with "professional" video and all the other feature creep they're known for. You already know that lean and mean is an alien concept to them.

If you're a serious shooter who likes the D300, what is the compelling reason to change? It's fast, solid, and reliable. Most people don't need more resolution or video - higher ISO and DR would be great but for 95% of the time the D300 isn't lacking. I've never had the camera limit me even though it's six years old. So why not just pick up another low milage D300 body for under $500 and use it for another few years?

Buying used is the best revenge against a surly, arrogant manufacturer and that's what Nikon deserves.

The D300 and D300s will probably be the last pro-grade DX bodies with an optical viewfinder. Next they'll probably make some D7500 with an EVF and video sockets hung all over it. Hope I am wrong.

Jun 28, 2013 at 04:31 PM
soonipi1957
• • •
p.4 #8 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

I bought a D7100. I have been shooting a D300s since it came out.
If the D7100 is the replacement or now Pro DX body I would be sorely disappointed.
Ergonomics, buffer.....it isn't even close.

Jun 28, 2013 at 05:51 PM
soonipi1957
• • •
p.4 #9 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

I bought a D7100. I have been shooting a D300s since it came out.
If the D7100 is the replacement or now Pro DX body I would be sorely disappointed.
Ergonomics, buffer AF on button dedicated.....it isn't even close. Try mounting them both on a 400, 500 or 600 on a Wimberly head. The D7100just doesn't cut it.
Whatever they do.....give me a real viewfinder once again please? They ate supposed to be ROUND

Jun 28, 2013 at 06:00 PM
firewireguy
• • •
p.4 #10 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

The ergonomics of the D7100 ARE BETTER than the D300. Lack of AF-On button? Not for me. All the buttons are programmable FFS! Look at the D4, it's missing an AE-L button OMG!!!! No... wait, it isn't if you re-program it. So you don't have two buttons, well neither does the D4 and I don't hear many complaints about that. In fact there are a huge amount of complaints about the D7100 that could equally be made against the D4 and D600 but somehow they're not. Strange. Changing AF settings, ISO etc are all faster on the D7100. The size difference compared to the D300 is negligible and the hand grip is much better.

The only real criticism would be the buffer and frame rate, if that affects you.

Everyone is so obsessed with the labels "pro" and "not pro" that people lose all trace of perspective.

Jun 29, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hijazist
• • • •
p.4 #11 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

firewireguy wrote:
The ergonomics of the D7100 ARE BETTER than the D300. Lack of AF-On button? Not for me. All the buttons are programmable FFS! Look at the D4, it's missing an AE-L button OMG!!!! No... wait, it isn't if you re-program it. So you don't have two buttons, well neither does the D4 and I don't hear many complaints about that. In fact there are a huge amount of complaints about the D7100 that could equally be made against the D4 and D600 but somehow they're not. Strange. Changing AF settings, ISO etc are all faster on the D7100. The size
...Show more

You have a point there, and I'm in the same boat as you are. I love my D600 & D7000 configuration better than their "bigger" brothers. However, to each his/her own preference, many like the full alloy body with bigger size and grip. Them asking and waiting for a D300 replacement makes sense for me and I can see it happening in the near future. If we all had the same preference/need then we'll all end up with one "ideal" model.

BTW, the buffer issue is HUGE for birding and sports shooters

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.4 #12 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

I have no problem with the D7100's buffer using a Sandisk Extreme Pro 95/MB/s SD card. Throw it in DX mode for more reach and quicker clearing of the buffer when needed.

Jun 30, 2013 at 01:21 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.4 #13 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

I'd like to see SD + XQD, but I'd be happy with SD+CF.

Jun 30, 2013 at 02:40 AM
BlueBomberTurbo
• •
p.4 #14 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

VinnieJ wrote:
I have no problem with the D7100's buffer using a Sandisk Extreme Pro 95/MB/s SD card. Throw it in DX mode for more reach and quicker clearing of the buffer when needed.

Exactly. Throw it into 12-bit Compressed, and you'll have all the buffer you'll ever need.

Jun 30, 2013 at 02:55 AM
M Lucca
• • •
p.4 #15 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:
Exactly. Throw it into 12-bit Compressed, and you'll have all the buffer you'll ever need.

This is not 2006.

Why the compromise? It is 2013.

Jun 30, 2013 at 03:13 AM
JTMeuret
• •
p.4 #16 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

D400.. That's what I've been waiting for. (!!!) If you build it, I wiiiiil buy. For wildlife and sports, an improved D300s (the D400), would be the way to go for many reasons, as already stated here by many. Folks, there are thousands of wildlife/sports shooters in this world that will jump all over a D400..... instead of the D7k'ish route or FX. Nikon knows we all want an improved D300s style camera. So, of course a D400 is in the making! Then, a few years later, the D500.

Peace. -J.T.

Jun 30, 2013 at 04:37 AM
the solitaire
• • •
p.4 #17 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

firewireguy wrote:
The ergonomics of the D7100 ARE BETTER than the D300. Lack of AF-On button? Not for me. All the buttons are programmable FFS! Look at the D4, it's missing an AE-L button OMG!!!! No... wait, it isn't if you re-program it. So you don't have two buttons, well neither does the D4 and I don't hear many complaints about that. In fact there are a huge amount of complaints about the D7100 that could equally be made against the D4 and D600 but somehow they're not. Strange. Changing AF settings, ISO etc are all faster on the D7100. The size
...Show more

The D7000 is worse in ergonomics in so many ways that being able to reprogram the few buttons it has doesn´t fix the problem.

You need to press an extra button located on the M-AF switch to change the way AF works. On a D800/D700/D300/D200 body you have your M-S-C switch on the front of the camera. On the D7000 that only allows the switch between AF and M. This is relevant because I can set up completely different AF performance for both single and continuous AF in a D300 giving me a quick AF mode switch with the M-S-C switch. Having to press a little button and then use the scrollwheel while looking at the top LCD to see what happens is gimmicky compared to a dedicated 3 position switch that I can operate without looking at the LCD.

Even though I can assign an AF-On button on the D7000 I would then lose the AE-L button. On the Dx00 cameras I have both.

The D7000 doesn´t have the AF field selector on the back of the camera (Dynamic, single point selectable, center). To me not a big deal but some might care.

The ISO speed, Quality and White Balance buttons are multi function buttons on the D70, D80, D90 and D7000. I have to take the camera from the subject to operate them or risk poking out an eye when operating the buttons on the back of the camera.

A rotating exposure mode button is just a bad joke. It´s easy to accidentally move it´s position when you grab the camera hanging down from a shoulder strap. Good weather shooters might not mind that but for serious shooters this will mess up more then just the occasional shot. Especially when you use 2 camera bodies and have to check each of them every time you take them to confirm they are still set to the correct exposure mode.

The D7000 doesn´t have a 10 pin contact. It doesn´t have a DC connection either.

And of course aside from ergonomics it doesn´t offer the frame rate or buffer size of a Dx00 camera, regardless of how you wish to label those. I mean really, 2 frames per second after the first few RAW shots and then it needs over 10 seconds to recover for the next shot? That sounds like we´re back in the 80´s.

The D7000 is an upgraded D90. It is nothing like any of the available Dx00 cameras.

There are a few things I like about the D7000.

The dual card slots are a nice added feature and as mentioned before SD cards have finally become a viable alternative at least in regard to read and write speeds

I like having a dedicated bracket button even if placement is a bit odd. With the D300 I set the Fn button to bracket which means I have to set my non-CPU lens data through menus because I ran out of buttons.

I guess that about sums it up for me. For me as a D300 user the D7000 offers nothing that makes me want to swap to this camera and removes a lot of stuff I would miss. At the time I´d rather buy a used D300 then a new D7000 even if they would cost the same.

Jun 30, 2013 at 06:55 AM
Chris Dees
• • • •
p.4 #18 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

the solitaire wrote:
The D7000 is worse in ergonomics in so many ways that being able to reprogram the few buttons it has doesn´t fix the problem.

You need to press an extra button located on the M-AF switch to change the way AF works. On a D800/D700/D300/D200 body you have your M-S-C switch on the front of the camera. On the D7000 that only allows the switch between AF and M. This is relevant because I can set up completely different AF performance for both single and continuous AF in a D300 giving me a quick AF mode switch with the M-S-C
...Show more

Mmmhh... Firewireguy is talking about the D7100 and not the D7000
All the controls on my D800E are more or less available on my D7100 (only the dedicated AF-On and 10-pins connector are missing)
M-AF switch - yes
AF field selector - yes
The ISO speed, Quality and White Balance - yes
With proper SD -cards the small buffer is less of an issue

But I will trade my D7100 in for a D400 when it arrives.

Jun 30, 2013 at 07:23 AM
the solitaire
• • •
p.4 #19 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

Chris Dees wrote:
Mmmhh... Firewireguy is talking about the D7100 and not the D7000
All the controls on my D800E are more or less available on my D7100 (only the dedicated AF-On and 10-pins connector are missing)
M-AF switch - yes
AF field selector - yes
The ISO speed, Quality and White Balance - yes
With proper SD -cards the small buffer is less of an issue

Button placement/ergonomics on the D7100 is pretty much identical for the D7100 and D7000.
For sports or similar the D7100 and D7000 cameras are toys. The multi-function buttons on the back of the camera, next to the LCD are an annoyance once you´re used to dedicated buttons.

I agree, if you come from a D80 or D90 both the D7000 and D7100 feel really nice. Even from a D200 however they feel like a serious downgrade (ergonomics, not IQ) and get in the way of shooting in several ways. The biggest issues are the rotating exposure mode knob (have to keep checking whether you´re on A or S or maybe even P mode every time you grab the camera), the ISO and WB buttons (sure you can set ISO and WB to auto but I need quick and direct control over ISO speed and white balance, sometimes even for every single shot) and the AF mode selection controls.

For people like me who have big 80-200 f2,8 lenses attached all day another thing to note is that the D300 is 200 grams heavier then the D7100. The D7100 front (the part that actually matters and which holds the F mount) is made of plastic.

The D7100 and D7000 are smaller as well meaning that heavy lenses feel even heavier because of leverage.

The buffer is an issue. Once it´s full it´s full and you have to wait several seconds (up to 33 seconds which is more then half a minute which is eternity when the action in front of you continues and you have to wait) before you can take a shot.

Also, the D7100 buffer is full after taking 5-6 RAW shots instead of the 28 the D300 manages. I don´t need 28 shot bursts (I´d shoot video instead if I needed it) but 8-10 shot bursts are not uncommon. I never filled up the buffer on my D300 during a shoot.

Jun 30, 2013 at 07:51 AM
Palmguy
• •
p.4 #20 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

the solitaire wrote:
I agree, if you come from a D80 or D90 both the D7000 and D7100 feel really nice. Even from a D200 however they feel like a serious downgrade (ergonomics, not IQ) and get in the way of shooting in several ways. The biggest issues are the rotating exposure mode knob (have to keep checking whether you´re on A or S or maybe even P mode every time you grab the camera), the ISO and WB buttons (sure you can set ISO and WB to auto but I need quick and direct control over ISO speed and white balance,
...Show more

The D7100 added a lock to the exposure mode dial. Not perfect but an improvement to the D7000.

the solitaire wrote:
You need to press an extra button located on the M-AF switch to change the way AF works. On a D800/D700/D300/D200 body you have your M-S-C switch on the front of the camera. On the D7000 that only allows the switch between AF and M. This is relevant because I can set up completely different AF performance for both single and continuous AF in a D300 giving me a quick AF mode switch with the M-S-C switch. Having to press a little button and then use the scrollwheel while looking at the top LCD to see what happens is
...Show more

The D800 and D4 have the same style AF switch as the D7000 and D7100 (different than the D700/D300/D3).

Jun 30, 2013 at 08:17 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password