Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              18      
19
       20              33       34       end
  

Archive 2013 · D400 in 2014 or Bust
  
 
Andre Labonte
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.19 #1 · D400 in 2014 or Bust


Tim Ashton wrote:
Hey Andre
maybe this could be your missing D400
The Olympus OM-D E-M1
review here
http://blog.mingthein.com/2013/09/10/olympus-om-d-e-m1-review-1/#more-6938

Tim



Nice ... but it's not a Nikon ... all my lenses are Nikon ...



Sep 10, 2013 at 11:05 AM
lxdesign
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.19 #2 · D400 in 2014 or Bust


So I guess we'll just keep changing the subject on this thread -- might as well read "The D400 that is never coming"


Sep 10, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Andre Labonte
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.19 #3 · D400 in 2014 or Bust


lxdesign wrote:
So I guess we'll just keep changing the subject on this thread -- might as well read "The D400 that is never coming"



Not until 2014 ... when 2014 hits I will give up hope.



Sep 10, 2013 at 01:14 PM
Tim Ashton
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.19 #4 · D400 in 2014 or Bust


Andre Labonte wrote:
Nice ... but it's not a Nikon ... all my lenses are Nikon ...


But Andre, with the Oly you will only need two lenses
The 12 - 40 f/2.8 and the about to be released 40 - 150 f/2.8

Tim



Sep 14, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Vinnie_VdB
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.19 #5 · D400 in 2014 or Bust


Still 2 weeks time to read the announcement


Sep 14, 2013 at 11:03 AM
RRRoger
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.19 #6 · D400 in 2014 or Bust


Just wondering what Nikon's stategy might be?
Do you think they are waiting for Canon to announce first?
Is there a D400 Prototype on the shelf ready to manufacture?
Is this just a wannabe camera?
Or, is it as unlikely as putting a DX Sensor in a D1-4 body?



Sep 14, 2013 at 01:51 PM
rickde
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.19 #7 · D400 in 2014 or Bust


Tim Ashton wrote:
Hey Andre
maybe this could be your missing D400
The Olympus OM-D E-M1
review here
http://blog.mingthein.com/2013/09/10/olympus-om-d-e-m1-review-1/#more-6938

Tim



Funny Tim! I was thinking the exact same thought about the Oly E-M1 yesterday!

Here's two excellent reviews of the E-M1:
E-M1 Hardware/Body Tour:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcNW-OFLFj8&list=UUppifd6qgT-5akRcNXeL2rw

E-M1 Stills & Video Quality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86ND5X8SjSQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UUppifd6qgT-5akRcNXeL2rw

Too bad all of my lenses are Nikon.


Edited on Sep 17, 2013 at 07:59 PM · View previous versions



Sep 14, 2013 at 02:03 PM
RRRoger
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.19 #8 · D400 in 2014 or Bust


According to the reaction of this forum,
Many have/will abandon Nikon if the D400 does not come out soon!

I will not be one of them.



Sep 14, 2013 at 02:53 PM
rickde
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.19 #9 · D400 in 2014 or Bust


Personally, I am not ready to abandon Nikon over the lack of a D400. I still have my fully pro DX camera, the D2x. However, Nikon needs to show the DX folks some pro/prosumer, metal-bodied love soon. A high-end mirrorless pro/prosumer DX camera body from Nikon would be even more awesome than a DSLR in my opinion.


Sep 14, 2013 at 03:11 PM
Andre Labonte
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.19 #10 · D400 in 2014 or Bust


rickde wrote:
Personally, I am not ready to abandon Nikon over the lack of a D400. I still have my fully pro DX camera, the D2x. However, Nikon needs to show the DX folks some pro/prosumer, metal-bodied love soon. A high-end mirrorless pro/prosumer DX camera body from Nikon would be even more awesome than a DSLR in my opinion.



My only concern with a mirrorless pro-level DX body (assuming no flange change) is the electronic viewfinder. It would have to honestly be high resolution and lightning fast to satisfy me when shooting sports. Now, if they could solve that problem, I'd be all for a mirrorless DX body. Less moving parts, less dust issues, higher frame rates, and it would not even have to black out the EV when shooting so keeping subject in frame would be easier.

That said, I'm not about to leave Nikon over not having a D400 (mirrorless or DSLR) but I will be highly aggravated and it likely limit my future investment in Nikon gear. So, for instance, I'm looking at an UWA DX lens ... D400 comes out I'll pick up either a 10-24 or a 12-24 from Nikon. D400 does not come out ... there are other cheaper 3rd party options. I vote with my $$$.



Sep 14, 2013 at 09:39 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



LMT1972
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.19 #11 · D400 in 2014 or Bust


RRRoger wrote:
According to the reaction of this forum,
Many have/will abandon Nikon if the D400 does not come out soon!

I will not be one of them.


Well folks tend to get a bit excited on forums at times and I doubt many would jump ship over the lack of D400. Of course no other company has anything equivalent to the mythical D400 anyway and I think the 7D2 is still 6-12 months away.

I just get the feeling with the D600, D7100 & D800 that Nikon are pushing their potential D400 customers elsewhere. If the D600 & D7100 get significant upgrades that's even less incentive for Nikon to release a D400. As has also been pointed out, releases of new quality DX lenses have also been pretty thin on the ground of late. I for one hope we see a D400 but the signals I'm getting from Nikon don't fill me with much confidence regarding the high end DX line.

Cheers
Leigh



Sep 14, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Gunzorro
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.19 #12 · D400 in 2014 or Bust


The Jewish year 2014 has come and gone long ago, with no D400 reported.


Sep 15, 2013 at 12:40 AM
Jorgen Udvang
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.19 #13 · D400 in 2014 or Bust


LMT1972 wrote:
Well folks tend to get a bit excited on forums at times and I doubt many would jump ship over the lack of D400. Of course no other company has anything equivalent to the mythical D400 anyway and I think the 7D2 is still 6-12 months away.

I just get the feeling with the D600, D7100 & D800 that Nikon are pushing their potential D400 customers elsewhere. If the D600 & D7100 get significant upgrades that's even less incentive for Nikon to release a D400. As has also been pointed out, releases of new quality DX lenses have also been pretty
...Show more

I've ordered an E-M1 already so I won't need a D400 anymore. I'll keep the D2Xs and D300 for when I need an optical viewfinder, but I suspect that need will also disappear with better EVFs in future iterations of the Olympus. The only Nikon cameras that I will use regularly will be the D700 and F6, and unless I need an awesome number of megapixels for some project (or find a D3X for a very nice price), I won't upgrade any Nikon gear except for buying a couple of more primes to use with the FX cameras.

After seeing what Nokia has done with the Lumia 808 and 1020 (image quality and resolution) and Nikon with the V1/2 (AF and functionality), I think it's just a matter of time before the 1 series will become Nikon's bred-and-butter cameras. It may sound strange to think so today, since they seem to be duds to most photographers, but I don't doubt for a second that it will happen. And yes, I think they will be able to deal with optical problems like diffraction as well, either in software or in hardware.



Sep 15, 2013 at 04:00 AM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.19 #14 · D400 in 2014 or Bust


The Nikon 1 series is going nowhere in the US. All the tiny cameras don't work very well when you need high ISO, and the EVF suck batteries when you are sitting for hours behind a 600/4 waiting for an animal to do something. I want the mythical D400 for that. For general use a cheapo body like a D3000-D5000 series, etc. is fine for the masses and probably makes Nikon more profit than all the others.

EBH



Sep 15, 2013 at 05:44 AM
Jorgen Udvang
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.19 #15 · D400 in 2014 or Bust


EB-1 wrote:
The Nikon 1 series is going nowhere in the US. All the tiny cameras don't work very well when you need high ISO, and the EVF suck batteries when you are sitting for hours behind a 600/4 waiting for an animal to do something. I want the mythical D400 for that. For general use a cheapo body like a D3000-D5000 series, etc. is fine for the masses and probably makes Nikon more profit than all the others.

EBH


The D3000 and 5000 series work fine until you've seen a properly sized viewfinder, like the EVFs of the recent Panasonic and Olympus cameras. People buy what they've heard about and what their friends have. Change takes time. I still hope that the D400 will appear, among other things for wildlife and sports photography, but I've found a solution that will work for me and which is cheaper, much lighter and fits well with the m4/3 gear I already own.

The Nikon 1 series isn't going well anywhere yet, but that will change too. In ten years, DSLR cameras will be as common as telephones without cameras.


Edited on Sep 18, 2013 at 08:22 AM · View previous versions



Sep 15, 2013 at 06:12 AM
Andre Labonte
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.19 #16 · D400 in 2014 or Bust


Well here's an interesting view from Thom Hogan. He seems to think the EVF speed can be made to be relatively "instantaneous" and if done right, would be better than an optical VF. I agree on the better part IF and ONLY IF they can fix the speed issue ...

*****************************************************

From Thom Hogan:

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/whither-nikon.html (see about 3/4 way down)

DSLRs won't be SLRs for much longer. The mirror and optical path will go away soon, if for no other reason than to reduce cost and complexity. I get into arguments with folks about whether autofocus systems can perform as well without the mirror as with (I bet they can perform as well or better), and others who complain about EVFs taking over from OVFs (a properly done EVF should be an improvement over OVF). Most of those folk haven't used a state-of-the-art PD-on-sensor or state-of-the-art EVF camera and/or can't imagine how technology moves incessantly forward and eventually fixes the issues...Show more

*****************************************************

Honestly, I hope Thom is right and I would welcome this change and see lots of advantages. Again, my only reservation is that for this to work, the lag time of the EVF would have to be < 1/400 of a second to suit my needs.

*****************************************************



Sep 15, 2013 at 11:21 PM
M Lucca
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.19 #17 · D400 in 2014 or Bust


If Nikon rather come out with a D610 to replace a 1-year old d600, you can bet the d400 is not even in their radar. And we have all been duped into one of those time-share marketing vacation cruise.


Sep 16, 2013 at 06:29 PM
Andre Labonte
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.19 #18 · D400 in 2014 or Bust


M Lucca wrote:
If Nikon rather come out with a D610 to replace a 1-year old d600, you can bet the d400 is not even in their radar. And we have all been duped into one of those time-share marketing vacation cruise.



For Nikon to come out with a D610 (or D600s) and not come out with a D400 would be one of the biggest DUMB ASS mistakes of all time.

And yes, we would all have been duped.



Sep 16, 2013 at 08:14 PM
wiseguy010
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.19 #19 · D400 in 2014 or Bust


Personally I don't think that the DX-format on DSLR has much future, certainly not in a pro-body. There are just too many alternatives for this smaller format available these days. Nikon can distinguish themself with high quality FF camera's and that's what I think they will do.

Just my 2 cents.



Sep 16, 2013 at 08:34 PM
M Lucca
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.19 #20 · D400 in 2014 or Bust


wiseguy010 wrote:
Personally I don't think that the DX-format on DSLR has much future, certainly not in a pro-body. There are just too many alternatives for this smaller format available these days. Nikon can distinguish themself with high quality FF camera's and that's what I think they will do.

Just my 2 cents.


They sure did with the oil splattering d600 and the d800's focusing issue.

Maybe Nikon is simplifying its product lines and not spread thin. Well if that's the case, then we will have to accept that. Mourn the loss of a once sensational dx pro-body and celebrate whatever Nikon wants to become.



Sep 16, 2013 at 11:17 PM
1       2       3              18      
19
       20              33       34       end




FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              18      
19
       20              33       34       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password