Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              12      
       14              33       34       end

Archive 2013 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

Doug Maclean
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #1 · p.13 #1 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

Slacker.. O.K ..maybe just start a letter writing campaign to Nikon...I have had enough of starting up businesses as well...alot of work.At this point I just want to pick up a kick ass camera and take a kick ass picture. Doug M

Aug 13, 2013 at 02:35 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.13 #2 · p.13 #2 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

Ain't that the truth! I don't get enough chances to pick up any camera at all, given said consulting practice... and I miss it! Got a few nice shots during our recent family vacation, but it'll be slim pickings for the rest of the year, I'm afraid.

Aug 13, 2013 at 02:41 AM
hans98ko
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #3 · p.13 #3 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

Doug Maclean wrote:
Guys.. I think we need to start a camera company. I will work on the seed money.Rodolfo you work on getting the engineers.Andre you work on the ergonomics...Lets do it....10 fps clean to Iso to 120, 000 .Autofocus that has the software to zoom in on a fly with a background of moving water. And a dedicated button or dial for any thing you want that can be changed in the menus as well as having a body more substantial better balanced body then a d7100 or d600....can always dream Doug M

+100
I always said to myself that if I want to have the best thing in the world, it has to be build by myself.

So, for those who think that they need a Pro DX model and there is a large market for it, there is nothing better than to invest and start a company to make it.

To offer you a little free help from an auditor and engineering consultant who have worked and helped many MNCs in starting up new projects including semi-conductors, displays, optics, military stuff and so on...and with numerous auditing behind me, I would estimate that the startup would require no less than 1.8-2.0 Billion US dollars. This is base on current financial situation that covers equipment cost deflation and US dollar depreciation since the recent global financial crisis. Oh! this does not even cover the purchase of the manufacturing property, only the bare bones like minimum managerial and technical expertise, bare bone test and manufacturing equipment, minimum manufacturing personal for the first two years.

But! Be warn! Watch this video to decide if there is still over a million D300/s users that will purchase something like a fictitious or mythical D400. And if you like read this from Ronald Trump (error intentional so search will not end up here).

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.13 #4 · p.13 #4 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

hans98ko wrote:
I always said to myself that if I want to have the best thing in the world, it has to be build by myself.

So, for those who think that they need a Pro DX model and there is a large market for it, there is nothing better than to invest and start a company to make it.

Even though you're joking, I think it's worth saying that this philosophy of "build it myself" makes some people happy, but I consider it suboptimal. Personally, I believe in focusing my time and energy at the things which I love and which I do best, and then hiring or buying everything else from someone who loves that and excels at it. I know how to do a great many things, from carpentry to accounting, but I neither build my own furniture nor do my own numbers. A focus on developing one's strengths tends to produce better overall results IMHO, both emotionally and financially.

Now, if we could get back on the topic of a "D400 in August", I'd appreciate it.

Aug 14, 2013 at 02:21 PM
pdxflint
• •
p.13 #5 · p.13 #5 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

hans98ko wrote:

Well, as long as your offering plausible ideas... ahem... a maybe better suggestion might be to just talk Nikon into hiring one of us (D400 'fans') as their CEO... where we could just order it done. it would definitely be cheaper since they already have the camera basically designed, and the mods would be easily within their ability to do without all the billions in cost associated with some new start-up... but the odds of either happening about as good...

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:23 PM
hans98ko
• • •
p.13 #6 · p.13 #6 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

Frankly, I would take any D400 discussion as a total joke, a joke started sometime in 2008 by people like Ken Rockwell who said that it will be out by Christmas 2008 but didn't, than follow by people including Thom Hogan who said that it will be out by 2009 but didn't, will be out by 2010 but didn't, will be out by 2011 with the tsunami and flood but didn't. And in Nov 2012 some joker with a Russian Muslim name like Nasim Mansurov said it will be out by Christmas 2012 but didn't, he than reschedule it to Jan/Feb 2013 but didn't, again he re-reschedule it to May 2013 but didn't and went silent. Than we have this D400 fan by the name of Andre Labonte who said he want it badly but will not be getting it this year due to his new home renovation, announcing it to be out by Aug 2013, well we still have 15 days to the end of August.

See the trend here?
With prediction from year to year, to month to month.
Next we will have prediction by week to week and than day to day as end of 2013 approaches.

After almost 6 years people are still predicting for the mystical or mythical Nikon D400, where else all hopes for the Canon 3D were given up at least a year ago.

It is so easy to said I want this, but it is not as easy to raise the fund to get it done.

And for anyone who said that they can be the CEO and will get the job done is overly simplified. Who will invest and who will answer for the failure? You got the money? With the present financial situation like the city of Detroit filling for bankruptcy (more cities, towns and counties to come) and manufacturers losing money trying to hang on, billionaires getting out of markets converting to cash and minerals?

...Take a deep breath...

Finally, I really enjoy reading these to understand the psychology behind these people, and we have only 15 days left before we need another thread by the name of D400 in September...

Aug 15, 2013 at 02:23 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.13 #7 · p.13 #7 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

Hans, I don't expect much in the way of civility and lucidity from you, but this post is underwhelming even by those standards. Billionaires getting out of markets converting to cash and minerals? What does Nikon have to do with Detroit? Just... whaaaat?

If you don't feel that you can contribute to this (or any) thread in a positive way, please refrain from participating.

Aug 15, 2013 at 02:39 PM
hans98ko
• • •
p.13 #8 · p.13 #8 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

Some people just don't see what is going on around and can't accept reality.

City filling for bankruptcy means people loosing jobs, leading to people having less money to spend on luxury goods like camera and lens if they can't even feed themselves.

Aug 15, 2013 at 02:46 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.13 #9 · p.13 #9 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

hans98ko wrote:
Some people just don't see what is going on around and can't accept reality.

City filling for bankruptcy means people loosing jobs, leading to people having less money to spend on luxury goods like camera and lens.

I think you're missing the point - D300s/D400 aren't luxury cameras.

Aug 15, 2013 at 02:56 PM
hans98ko
• • •
p.13 #10 · p.13 #10 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

When you don't have any food and a roof to stay under like those people hanging out around US cities after dark, than it is.
Just go to any US cities after 6 pm and see for yourself.

Aug 15, 2013 at 03:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

M635_Guy
• • • •
p.13 #11 · p.13 #11 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

hans98ko wrote:
When you don't have any food and a roof to stay under like those people hanging out around US cities after dark, than it is.

- I travel extensively (I was even in Singapore a few weeks ago - will have over 100K miles in the air by this time next moth) and you are still missing it.

I wouldn't for a minute say the world is sunshine and roses - Europe is just emerging from their recession, the US is still a little rocky, etc. That would give me great concerns for how quickly I'd update the D7100 if I was the product executive at Nikon. But my opinion is that the customer segments a body like a D400 are very different, and much less impacted by the current economic environment, with the exception of China, which is retracting on individual spending overall.

My $0.02.

Aug 15, 2013 at 04:57 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.13 #12 · p.13 #12 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

hans98ko wrote:

What are you on about US cities for? I'm Canadian, so I don't have a horse in this race, but surely you can't think that Singapore has no homeless problem.

ANNNYways. D400 in September, GO!

Aug 15, 2013 at 04:59 PM
hans98ko
• • •
p.13 #13 · p.13 #13 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

Yes we do, but much less than in US cities. Because once they were found and reported they will be removed from the streets.
Your Googling is not accurate because it shows cats and dogs as well as foreigners sleeping on our streets and backpackers at the airport.
You can always come to verify yourself or check with any tourist who have visited.

Edited on Aug 15, 2013 at 05:36 PM · View previous versions

Aug 15, 2013 at 05:23 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.13 #14 · p.13 #14 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

I'm not going to get into politics or criticizing someone else's Utopia, but I suggest we drag this thread back on-topic or just give it a rest. Hans is not making any new friends for himself, and we appear to be done discussing the original post for now.

Aug 15, 2013 at 05:32 PM
hans98ko
• • •
p.13 #15 · p.13 #15 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
I'm not going to get into politics or criticizing someone else's Utopia, but I suggest we drag this thread back on-topic or just give it a rest. Hans is not making any new friends for himself, and we appear to be done discussing the original post for now.

Well are you within topic when you asked others not to post here?
Are you one of the site administrator? Nope!

Edited on Aug 15, 2013 at 05:44 PM · View previous versions

Aug 15, 2013 at 05:41 PM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.13 #16 · p.13 #16 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

Detroit is closing down. There won't any more new cameras. Wait.... did they make cameras in Detroit? Wasn't that cars?

Aug 15, 2013 at 05:41 PM
hans98ko
• • •
p.13 #17 · p.13 #17 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

Jorgen Udvang wrote:
Detroit is closing down. There won't any more new cameras. Wait.... did they make cameras in Detroit? Wasn't that cars?

Well you need to learn how to read and follow through.

Aug 15, 2013 at 05:46 PM
hans98ko
• • •
p.13 #18 · p.13 #18 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

M635_Guy wrote:
- I travel extensively (I was even in Singapore a few weeks ago - will have over 100K miles in the air by this time next moth) and you are still missing it.

I wouldn't for a minute say the world is sunshine and roses - Europe is just emerging from their recession, the US is still a little rocky, etc. That would give me great concerns for how quickly I'd update the D7100 if I was the product executive at Nikon. But my opinion is that the customer segments a body like a D400 are very different, and
...Show more

Yes, I am aware of your recent visit from another post.
I will never compare with others on flight mileage or flight hours, because I travel 9-10 months out of a year by major airlines as well as by corporate jets. I can be in 3 different countries for meetings within a 24 hours period spanning Austra-Asia, Europe and US. Not only that I do my own flying as well as my son who have his own PPL before his 18th birthday.

As for China, I would say their recent spending retraction is due to the disputed islands with Japan. Actually, not just China, it is also happening in other parts of Asia because of the re-militarization of Japan and it past WWII history.

Aug 15, 2013 at 06:30 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.13 #19 · p.13 #19 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

hans98ko wrote:
Yes, I am aware of your recent visit from another post.
I will never compare with others on flight mileage or flight hours, because I travel 9-10 months out of a year by major airlines as well as by corporate jets. I can be in 3 different countries for meetings within a 24 hours period spanning Austra-Asia, Europe and US. Not only that I do my own flying as well as my son who have his own PPL before his 18th birthday.

I wasn't trying to boast, I was trying to say I have some perspective that isn't rooted in sitting behind a computer screen in one country. As a guy with 20 years of product management experience, I always watch with interest how companies manage their product lines. The less connected they are to their customers, the less direction and sense I see in product families. In other words, segmentation derived from a spreadsheet or counting on brand loyalty alond isn't always accurate to what the market wants and can support. Sony ran itself from a market leader to almost an afterthought very much in part due to thinking like this.

My opinion is that is the case with the D400. There is clearly a market that isn't solved by the D7100, and starving/abandoning that segment isn't going to move those customers down to a D7100 or up to a D600/D800. Any Nikon product manger or executive that believes that is kidding themselves (not to mention the average guy on the internet). More likely the demand will wither or move to an alternative (e.g. Canon).

At the end of the day, we'll just have to wait and see. I don't think any of us know for sure, and while at one time I was really interested in a D400, I'm increasingly happy with my D300s (so count me as a "wither"). They'll have to make a pretty compelling camera for me to spend the money, but I am willing to do it if it happens. I'll probably wait longer than I would have, though...

hans98ko wrote:
As for China, I would say their recent spending retraction is due to the disputed islands with Japan. Actually, not just China, it is also happening in other parts of Asia because of the re-militarization of Japan and it past WWII history.

You're closer to it than I am, but I disagree. When I was there a few weeks ago, what some folks who live there told me was it had more to do with increased austerity at the governmental levels trickling down to the rest of the upper/middle class, which has cooled two of the major drivers in their economy (consumer and government spending). Look at how China has...managed...the border issues it has had with India - lots of saber rattling, minimal military conflict (with China generally coming out on top).

Apologies for getting a little off-topic

Aug 15, 2013 at 07:46 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.13 #20 · p.13 #20 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

hans98ko wrote:
As for China, I would say their recent spending retraction is due to the disputed islands with Japan.

Yes, of course. 1.3 billion people, their government, and one of the three largest economies on Planet Earth is retracting because of the Senkakus. Thaaaaaat's it, yeah...

Aug 15, 2013 at 09:41 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password