New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              33       34       end

Archive 2013 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

DaveOls
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

I gave up on the D400 in April and bought a used D 300s to replace my D80. I have shot almost as many images in 3 months with the D 300s than I did with the D80 in 4 years. I probably would have been just as happy with a D300 as I have heard that the colors are actually better than the D300s. I thought that they had the same sensor.

Jun 24, 2013 at 05:13 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

NathanHamler wrote:
I was thinking about it more, and the D600 kinda proves what i feel Nikon's thought process is...that FX is "the future" for enthusiast photographers and above....The fact that they released an FX sensor in a smaller, less expensive package, kinda shows where their thought process is....now it's hard to offer a DX camera at the same price (or more) than the D600, when SO many consumers only look at the sensor when it comes to judging a camera.....

That's ironic considering the Nikon at the time when Canon came out with the 5D, they claimed FF is niche. DX format is where it's at.

I'm not too sure about your 2nd posturing though as Canon has the 7D and 6D co-existing. Sure the 7d is older and its price reflects that by a few hundred dollars. But indications seems that a 7d2 is imminent. Based on the past 7d intro price, I suspect it will land squarely on the 6D's pricing.

Dual Digic V+ offering 10 or more fps, karate-chop AF, blah blah blah... I can see Nikon's D400 offering the same because these two series of cameras fill the action pack segment.

Jun 24, 2013 at 06:16 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

DaveOls wrote:
I gave up on the D400 in April and bought a used D 300s to replace my D80. I have shot almost as many images in 3 months with the D 300s than I did with the D80 in 4 years. I probably would have been just as happy with a D300 as I have heard that the colors are actually better than the D300s. I thought that they had the same sensor.

My understanding is they are the same sensor with minor firmware tweaks. I haven't heard of any color differences, just a very slight ISO advantage for the D300s.

IMHO, the handling differences are a big plus with the D300s.

Jun 24, 2013 at 06:35 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

M Lucca wrote:
I'm not too sure about your 2nd posturing though as Canon has the 7D and 6D co-existing. Sure the 7d is older and its price reflects that by a few hundred dollars. But indications seems that a 7d2 is imminent. Based on the past 7d intro price, I suspect it will land squarely on the 6D's pricing.

Dual Digic V+ offering 10 or more fps, karate-chop AF, blah blah blah... I can see Nikon's D400 offering the same because these two series of cameras fill the action pack segment.

If the 7dII makes an appearance, then of course there will be a D400....i guess time will tell...i may be eating my words!!

Jun 24, 2013 at 07:33 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

We have been waiting practically forever, so I'm not holding my breath.

EBH

Jun 24, 2013 at 07:49 PM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

I can't believe people still think it's not coming. Assume it's not coming and be surprised when it does? Nikon will release the D400 about the same time Canon releases the 7D2. Both will be here and probably this Fall assuming no more drastic "incidents" occur. I have zero doubts because these companies are doing this to make money. If they believe there is a market for it, it will come.

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:12 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

ON a website far far away, and a long long time ago, I predicted that DX would be abandoned when FX sensors became economically feasible, and the market for DX lenses had become saturated. This would then force all those using DX lenses to eventually switch to FX lenses. Gee, I hate to say I told you so, but I did tell you so!

Jun 24, 2013 at 09:19 PM
vivisha
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

As a dual system shooter I would like either canon or nikon to release a 7Dll or a D400. I don't think Canon will do it because a 10 FPS 7Dll would almost for sure cannibalize 1DX sales the same way a D400 would eat sales from a D4, I think Canon and Nikon made a mistake in how they designed their camera models.

Canon was right on track when they released the original 5D and would have completely taken a significant amount of Nikon users if they had decided to put a more advanced autofocus system on the 5Dll, Nikon realized that and decided they would challenge Canon in the megapixel front and with the amazing Sony sensor they put in the D800, for the first time in the digital age they are ahead of Canon in that department (I don't count the D3X in this because I'm comparing prosumer bodies)

To me it would make more sense if they hay two lines of prosumer bodies and one flagship camera:

Canon 5Dlll, NikonD800 as they are
7Dll, D400; a sports crop body, with less megapixels for cleaner noise and fast writing
speed and buffer and 8+ FPS
1DXll and D5; a true combination of both 1D lines, a high megapixel, high FPS machine with a Sony sensor

But I understand that both companies are in this to make money, and so they do what they think will make them more money. And that is the only reason why I think we won't see a D400 or 7Dll.

Jun 24, 2013 at 09:21 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

runamuck wrote:
ON a website far far away, and a long long time ago, I predicted that DX would be abandoned when FX sensors became economically feasible, and the market for DX lenses had become saturated. This would then force all those using DX lenses to eventually switch to FX lenses. Gee, I hate to say I told you so, but I did tell you so!

FX sensors still cost a multiple of DX sensors. I wouldn't call that economically "viable".

Anyone who tries to make the case that the D600 is a replacement for the D300s doesn't understand who that camera is targeted at. Hint: It isn't the price.

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:42 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

VinnieJ wrote:
I can't believe people still think it's not coming. Assume it's not coming and be surprised when it does? Nikon will release the D400 about the same time Canon releases the 7D2. Both will be here and probably this Fall assuming no more drastic "incidents" occur. I have zero doubts because these companies are doing this to make money. If they believe there is a market for it, it will come.

It's been almost 6 years since the D300 came out. Something seems wrong if Nikon's intention is to keep that product line going.

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:16 PM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

It'll be nice to see if it happens then, I do expect a D400 will come out, might be nice if it's August, but I didn't expect to get one when it was first available this time. It was the camera I was waiting for before I got the D800 and probably will end up with one eventually.
My b-day is in Aug...anyone feel generous

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

NathanHamler wrote:
well look what Nikon is doing with people who send in perfect condition cameras for warranty work.....claiming impact damage and not holding up their warranty agreements.......they're telling the customers to "shove it up your a$$!!" lol

So yeah, i wouldn't put it past Nikon to say "this is what we offer now, take it, or leave it."

I was thinking about it more, and the D600 kinda proves what i feel Nikon's thought process is...that FX is "the future" for enthusiast photographers and above....The fact that they released an FX sensor in a smaller, less expensive package, kinda shows where their
...Show more

Of course the release of the D7100 and the D600 with the D400 notably absent certainly does give the impression that Nikon is pointing to FX = Pro, DX = ameture .... it worked that way in the film days but for different reasons ... I don't see that digital has to be the same way.

Also, I do think there are lots of shooters who want a pro-level DX, including many pro shooters. That Nikon does not see it or chooses to ignore it does not change the fact that they would sell lots of D400's if they would just make it already.

Jun 25, 2013 at 07:47 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

snapsy wrote:
It's been almost 6 years since the D300 came out. Something seems wrong if Nikon's intention is to keep that product line going.

Something was wrong. A tsunami wiped out a huge portion of the DX manufacturing facilities.

Jun 25, 2013 at 08:39 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

At this point they should announce that there will be no D400 coming... But, that there is a new D500 coming instead!

Jun 25, 2013 at 08:41 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

snapsy wrote:

It's more like thing went wrong causing delays. More specifically the flooding they went through in Taiwan last year and the tsunami/earthquake a couple years ago. My guess is they put a priority on releasing the D4/D600/D800 to keep up with Canon's release of the 6D/5D3/1Dx. Then we get the D7100 followed by the D400 this year.

All speculation of course.

Jun 25, 2013 at 09:04 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

vivisha wrote:

But I understand that both companies are in this to make money, and so they do what they think will make them more money. And that is the only reason why I think we won't see a D400 or 7Dll.

I don't want to take you out of context, but I do want to focus on this one point.

Nikon and Canon are in the business of selling cameras. They do that best by making killer cameras people want, even at the risk of self canibalization ... better to canibilize yourself than to have the competition do it. The D400 would be just one of those bodies that would sell like crazy, even if it means a loss of some other body sales. The last thing you want is people settling for what they can get ... you get more downsell due to budget than upsell to something better... or worst, people jump ship.

Jun 25, 2013 at 09:34 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

For me, the alternative to a D400 is not a D600 but a Panasonic GH3 or a Canon pro crop body (if a 7D II materializes). It's about reach, speed and a sufficient buffer without having to carry lenses that weigh a ton and cost a fortune. If I change brand for sports photography, I have no reason to stay with Nikon at all, so I won't buy that D800. I hope that Nikon realises that this is the situation for many users.

Jun 25, 2013 at 09:52 AM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

I waited and waited to go from a D300 to a D400. I realized it's not happening and went FX. This is exactly what Nikon wants.

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:02 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

Jason_Brook wrote:
I waited and waited to go from a D300 to a D400. I realized it's not happening and went FX. This is exactly what Nikon wants.

Do you regret buying the D700?

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · D400 in 2014 or Bust

James R wrote:
Do you regret buying the D700?

Not one damn bit.

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:19 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.