Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

Edited on Jul 05, 2013 at 01:47 AM · View previous versions

Jun 24, 2013 at 09:01 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

I notice she really likes the 5D2. No problem then, she can keep her beloved Canon glass and use it on 2 or 3 5ds!

Problem sorted.

Jun 24, 2013 at 09:03 PM
ronfronberg
• •
p.3 #3 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

Edited on Jun 27, 2013 at 11:26 PM · View previous versions

Jun 24, 2013 at 09:38 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.3 #4 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

Imagine if she had been an early buyer of the 1D3?
Sheesh

Jun 24, 2013 at 09:42 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.3 #5 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

Read not just her blog post, read the comments as well, seems she's had bad relations with not only Canon gear for several years; the AF 'systems', but with Canon's service. This short blog post, the advisory, was just another sore spot, for her a smack in the face. As a seasoned pro she no doubt pushes her gear hard, uses, ties to use, every bit of it's capability.

I doubt many of us negative commentators, knowing her full history with Canon, the criticality of her work; her lively hood, would have been as harsh. Once you completely loose confidence is most any consumer product you simply move on...hoping for better.

Her decision to drop Canon seems rash, especially when a simple fix might indeed repair the possible AF lube issue. However I've been lucky, never had a body crap out on me, nor a lens...even 30yr old bodies/glass are still working. She on the other hand has had plenty of issues...it's gotta hurt and frankly if it was the norm of experience I'd have dropped Canon long before this.

I indeed hope she finds much greener pastures and comfortable gear to shoot them with!

Photography should be fun, if gear is getting in the way get something else and get the excitement, joy back in the game...constant worry of equipment failure would be a serious handicap....

Jun 24, 2013 at 09:49 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

Maybe the camera failed to read her mind and she missed valuable shots. No matter how hard you concentrate, it won't make the 1D X work any better.

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

I wonder if she can name any car manufacturers that have NOT had a recall?

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Edward Rotberg
• • • •
p.3 #8 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

OK, so I'm confused. Based on the email that she posted, I have an "affected" 1DX body. I received no such email or snail-mail. Apparently she received no such email/snail-mail either. FWIW, I am a registered CPS member, and my 1DX body is registered with Canon.

So far I really like the 1DX, but in all honesty I have not had much chance to use it since I got it a few months ago, since I've been trying to finish a new product. I did have a small number of photos what were inexplicably blurry last week, but the majority were fine.

Have any other 1DX owners received this letter from Canon? Are they doing a recall to fix this or is the proactive letter just letting people know that they are going to have problems - oh well, thanks for the $$?

I'd appreciate someone enlightening me further as I have largely been out of the loop lately due to work requirements.

Thanks in advance,

= Ed =

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

Edward Rotberg wrote:
OK, so I'm confused. Based on the email that she posted, I have an "affected" 1DX body. I received no such email or snail-mail. Apparently she received no such email/snail-mail either. FWIW, I am a registered CPS member, and my 1DX body is registered with Canon.

So far I really like the 1DX, but in all honesty I have not had much chance to use it since I got it a few months ago, since I've been trying to finish a new product. I did have a small number of photos what were inexplicably blurry last week, but the majority
...Show more

Read the Product Advisory from Canon:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_1d_x?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e024809120b7

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Edward Rotberg
• • • •
p.3 #10 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

Thanks Tony. Looks like my camera is going back to Canon. Oh well. Maybe I should rant about how Canon has screwed me again?

= Ed =

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lukeb
• • •
p.3 #11 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
Her only valid complaint is that she had just had her camera serviced and the product advisory was issued two days before she picked it up from repair.

Canon has made a very good effort to be proactive and they should be commended for it.

As for having your images displayed at the Smithsonian - there are quite a few talented photographers who just can't catch a break.

More often than not, it's not what you know or how well you make a photograph - it's who you know.

+ 100

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:14 AM
dehowie
• • •
p.3 #12 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

+300

As anyone even seen a soft oof series from any 1Dx?
Maybe someone should enlighten her of the AF issues Nikon are suffering which s performance based not lubrication based!
Garbage posting links to moronic whiners.

Id be interested if ANYONE has reported this issue as i have not seen one post relating to the issue the bulletin is about..

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Edward Rotberg
• • • •
p.3 #13 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

dehowie wrote:
+300

Maybe someone should enlighten her of the AF issues Nikon are suffering which s performance based not lubrication based!

Id be interested if ANYONE has reported this issue as i have not seen one post relating to the issue the bulletin is about..

As I said in my post above, I did have a series of images that was inexplicably OOF: Static subject One Shot, braced against a brick wall, @ 50mm and 1/125th of a second. Other images taken just before and after from slight different perspectives, with the same lens & settings were fine.

= Ed =

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.3 #14 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

dehowie wrote:
+300

Yep. She's trying to get attention by flipping out about a pretty much non-issue. She's acting like this is another 1D Mark III debacle, when the Mark III's were obviously having issues THEN Canon recalled them and did major updates to the AF assembly and shutter box to correct the issue. This is just a super simple recall that takes a technician all of about 5 minutes to complete and is more a preventative measure than anything.

Jun 25, 2013 at 01:27 AM
rodp

p.3 #15 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

i certainly know what id do if i wanted a huge spike in eyeballs on my blog - the recipe for success is now well established.

Jun 25, 2013 at 01:51 AM
Chris Anthony
• •
p.3 #16 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

rodp wrote:
i certainly know what id do if i wanted a huge spike in eyeballs on my blog - the recipe for success is now well established.

My thought exactly, nothing more then a marketing ploy

Jun 25, 2013 at 05:04 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.3 #17 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

Edward Rotberg wrote:
As I said in my post above, I did have a series of images that was inexplicably OOF: Static subject One Shot, braced against a brick wall, @ 50mm and 1/125th of a second. Other images taken just before and after from slight different perspectives, with the same lens & settings were fine.

= Ed =

Center/Recompose, or are you setting a particular AF point? And what lens were you using?

Jun 25, 2013 at 06:52 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

dehowie wrote:
+300

Well I guess Canon just got bored and decided to issue this bulletin. Obviously there is an issue out there.

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:51 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

Jun 25, 2013 at 01:11 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #20 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

chez wrote:
Well I guess Canon just got bored and decided to issue this bulletin. Obviously there is an issue out there.

That made me smile.......in the 21st century common sense has become a rare commodity. I guess when Apple issues an I-phone application for it, then all will have access to common sense at a push of a button.

Jun 25, 2013 at 01:12 PM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password