Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

gdanmitchell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

davenfl wrote:
She is nothing more then a drama queen. Her statements lack any degree of credibility seeing as how she spent months praising her new toy. Perhaps she should go back to the fashion industry where they are used to dealing with this type of 14 year old teen age tantrums.

So, has your work been exhibited at the Smithsonian yet?

"Piperís images have been displayed at the Smithsonian Natural History Museum, The Museum of History and industry, and The Art Wolfe gallery, as well as local galleries. Her work has been featured in Nature and travel publication through representation of several photo agencies, including Rangefinder, Natureís Best, Birders, and the World Wildlife Fund."

http://www.pipermackayphotography.com/about/

Dan

(For the record, I think her response to the issue with the camera is a bit extreme - but we're used to that among photographers, right? I told her so in a brief online discussion that we had, and her response was far more reasoned and cordial than quite a bit of what I'm reading in this thread.)

Jun 24, 2013 at 01:43 PM
Bones74
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

cineski wrote:
For a person writing her own opinion on her own blog that her $6500 camera may have an issue that could have been fixed on the last trip to Canon that she's upset, aren't we all getting our collective panties in a bind more than she is? Is this just that odd internet thing where a person's vague opinion is taken as a vicious attack on another person's personal beliefs even though that's not really the case? Canon doesn't have a great track record with their 1 series AF. Yes, most don't report problems. Either way, if I spent north
...Show more

No, its the manner of her over reaction, which comes across as petulant and slightly unbalanced. Claiming to be psychologically damaged by Canon is a bit over the top! Her issue should be with the service centre that didn't inform of the service issue. Most people in her position would just react to Canon with annoyance, but send their camera in for a check anyway. I do like her work, she's very good IMO.

As far as I'm aware there have no real AF issues in 1D series bodies since the unfortunate 1D3 episode several years back.

Jun 24, 2013 at 01:55 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

cineski wrote:
BenV, I've only known one D800 user. He didn't own the cameras long. Very bad AF. I actually got to play with his D800 and saw first hand how bad AF is with that camera. Couldn't even lock focus on a light switch on the wall with good lighting. My 5D3 snapped right to and was focused perfectly.

I know two people with D800's. One has had no issues with his in the year or so he's had it. The other chap sent it back three times to have the AF sorted. Unlucky

Jun 24, 2013 at 01:57 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

gdanmitchell wrote:
and her response was far more reasoned and cordial than quite a bit of what I'm reading in this thread.)

People can only comment on what they've read. Some extreme responses to her blog, but often an extreme opinion begets extreme responses. If she'd written a reasoned blog entry, this thread wouldn't exist

Jun 24, 2013 at 02:01 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

gdanmitchell wrote:

"Piperís images have been displayed at the Smithsonian Natural History Museum, The Museum of History and industry, and The Art Wolfe gallery, as well as local galleries. Her work has been featured in Nature and travel publication through representation of several photo agencies, including Rangefinder, Natureís Best, Birders, and the World Wildlife Fund."

Dan

(For the record, I think her response to the issue with the camera is a bit extreme - but we're used to that among photographers, right? I told her so in a brief online discussion that we had, and
...Show more

Dan, she put the work in to be published, fantastic, has been acknowledged as having a good eye, imagination, curiosity, has honed her skills to a fineness people respect...that's called passion, talent dear Sir, something many have in no less quantity/quality...some write code, some paint, some heal wounds, some find and preserve the beauty all around us with a single click.

Guess she's not had a bad imperfect frame taken, disappointment can fully be understood, but nothings happened to her particular body yet...what's her reaction when a battery discharges and she forgot to charge her backups...oh wait, her assistant probably made sure they were 'fully' charged, a half charge just wouldn't due now would it...even if the shot was made.

So speshul...

The source of these comments comes from four plus decades of shooting, including 35 years with a paralyzed body, still fingers, much frustration. This kind of petty, extreme reaction from a seasoned/mature individual, when 'nothing has happened' is...to use your word...rude. It's just a childish rant, shall I stomp my feet now, in public, oh oops I can't, I'm broken not perfect anymore, now I just look silly, forgot they don't move...

Jun 24, 2013 at 02:39 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

Let us be a bit more kind to Piper. She has been annoyed by Canon, and she blew it in her own blog, and not in our parlours, or in front of the Casa Blanca.
Several times a day many of us overreact to things that irk us, and there is a very ample body of evidence for that kind of behaviour on this forum.

Let us not try to purge ourselves from our sins by flogging a sister that has "erred"......leave that for the likes of Jerry Springer and Dr.Phil shows.

Jun 24, 2013 at 03:28 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

PetKal wrote:
Several times a day many of us overreact to things that irk us, and there is a very ample body of evidence for that kind of behaviour on this forum.

Let us not try to purge ourselves from our sins by flogging a sister that has "erred"......leave that for the likes of Jerry Springer and Dr.Phil shows.

Indeed! :-)

Dan

Jun 24, 2013 at 03:37 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

Responses like hers might be why Nikon doesn't put out service advisories for their known defects, not to mention the cost of proactive servicing vs just letting cameras fail in the field and fixing them on a case-by-case basis. Fixing them on a case-by-case basis surely is cheaper since the percentage of bodies that fail is probably much smaller than the high percentage of bodies sent in for preemptive advisory servicing. Luckily Canon chooses transparency and allows owners to make up their own minds rather than making them unwitting Russian Roulette contestants.

Jun 24, 2013 at 03:42 PM
Dark Slider
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

Quoted from her blog:
"THAT MEANS Ė 70% of the cameras have defective AF systems, which means soft images!! My biggest complaint and the reason I was going to switch to NIKON! Of coarse my 1DX is in that 70%. "

I would think that if she was even slightly competent, she would have noticed that her images are soft.

The problem, of course, is that they are not, and she has been unaffected by the defect, and thus she is just simply bitching. Her math word problem skills suck too.

Jun 24, 2013 at 04:20 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

I think her only real error was in believing she is too "invested" in Canon gear to switch...

Jun 24, 2013 at 04:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

snapsy
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

cineski wrote:
BenV, I've only known one D800 user. He didn't own the cameras long. Very bad AF. I actually got to play with his D800 and saw first hand how bad AF is with that camera. Couldn't even lock focus on a light switch on the wall with good lighting. My 5D3 snapped right to and was focused perfectly.

The only AF issue the D800 is known for is the Left AF issue. I've tested a D800 and 5DM3 side-by-side and their AF is equivalent in terms of accuracy, precision, and low-light performance, at least for single-shot AF.

Jun 24, 2013 at 05:02 PM
Access
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

Some people just like the sound of their own voice.

Jun 24, 2013 at 06:26 PM
Charlie N
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

one of the most worst blog postings I've ever read. I want my five minutes back.

Jun 24, 2013 at 06:48 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

85k clicks, no problems. I have a very early build camera, bought it in July of last year.

Jun 24, 2013 at 07:12 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

gdanmitchell wrote:

Dan

(For the record, I think her response to the issue with the camera is a bit extreme - but we're used to that among photographers, right? I told her so in a brief online discussion that we had, and
...Show more

Her only valid complaint is that she had just had her camera serviced and the product advisory was issued two days before she picked it up from repair.

Canon has made a very good effort to be proactive and they should be commended for it.

As for having your images displayed at the Smithsonian - there are quite a few talented photographers who just can't catch a break.

More often than not, it's not what you know or how well you make a photograph - it's who you know.

Jun 24, 2013 at 07:26 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

PetKal wrote:
Let us be a bit more kind to Piper. She has been annoyed by Canon, and she blew it in her own blog, and not in our parlours, or in front of the Casa Blanca.

Crippled feathers backed down...excellent points Peter
I was going to re-post my 'whine' comment but...resistance is not futile

Jun 24, 2013 at 07:27 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

canon should put a piece of paper in each box, similar to a warranty card, that says, "it's a fu**ing camera, chill out."

Jun 24, 2013 at 07:36 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

I'm finding more than a tiny bit of irony that in a forum where people still debate vociferously the impact of this or that tiny technical "flaw" in their cameras, sometimes for months (even years!) on end, and regularly declare that Canon is ripping them off, can't compete with Nikon, is taking advantage of us as buyers, doesn't know how to make good cameras, and sells us equipment that leaves us incapable of actually making photographs (hyperbole intended) ...

... one post on the web that takes about the same tone provokes such outrage here, along with gross and occasionally misogynistic insults directed toward its author.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png (Sorry, can't make the image appear here, but do enjoy the link. It is a classic joke about the Internet.)

"People who live in glass houses..." and all of that. ;-)

Dan

Edited on Jun 24, 2013 at 08:41 PM · View previous versions

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:19 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

gdanmitchell wrote:
I'm finding more than a tiny bit of irony that in a forum where people still debate vociferously the impact of this or that tiny technical "flaw" in their cameras, sometimes for months (even years!) on end, and regularly declare that Canon is ripping us off, can't compete with Nikon, taking advantage of us as buyers, doesn't know how to make good cameras, and sell us equipment that leaves us incapable of actually making photographs (hyperbole intended) ...
Dan

Might be because a forum consists of individual opinions and is not a gestalt, except to those who portray it as such to make their point as you yourself have above. To that end I suggest you survey the posters who've expressed a negative opinion of her blog entry and see how many of those same posters are the ones who have complained about the tiny technical flaws of Canon bodies; based on my quick review the correlation is near zero.

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:41 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

snapsy wrote:
Might be because a forum consists of individual opinions and is not a gestalt, except to those who portray it as such to make their point as you yourself have above. To that end I suggest you survey the posters who've expressed a negative opinion of her blog entry and see how many of those same posters are the ones who have complained about the tiny technical flaws of Canon bodies; based on my quick review the correlation is near zero.

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:43 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password