New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

rick_reno
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

Anyone seen anything regarding this with the 1DX? I haven't, but I confess since moving to Nikon I haven't paid much attention to the Canon boards. I assume I'd have seen something somewhere given this is Canon's flagship product. She appears to be pretty upset.

http://www.pipermackayphotography.com/category/blog/

Jun 24, 2013 at 01:35 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

It's a precautionary service notice. I've had zero issues with mine, as have the vast majority it seems. Not saying there haven't been duds or ones with issues, but is she upset because she was actually affected or because she thinks she might be affected?

To me it's just a rant and it's not clear she has had any issues with her camera. There are people here with tens of thousands of shots and no issues

Jun 24, 2013 at 01:47 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

Reading that blog makes me think canon are better off without her as a customer .

So i pressume Nikon have never had any product recalls in the past

Jun 24, 2013 at 02:48 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

Piper's comments are as extreme and credible as the claims made by some users that 1DX appears to be able to "read their minds" and focus exactly where they want it to focus.
The truth, as usual, is somewhere in between such extremes.

Jun 24, 2013 at 04:39 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

I'm impressed that Canon has been proactive. They've issued a recall before many people have realized there's a problem.

I find that much better than some others that click their heels together three times while chanting "there is no problem, there is no problem".

Jun 24, 2013 at 05:41 AM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Reading that blog makes me think canon are better off without her as a customer .

Nah, Nikon just ignore the issues full stop!

It is a bizarre rant that shows little comprehension of the issued advisory.

Jun 24, 2013 at 05:42 AM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

She needs pills, either that or she has the mindset of a 14 year old. All she needs to do, like all other sensible 1DX owners, is send the camera to Canon for a check over. No need to swap all your camera gear just because your camera might have a problem.

Jun 24, 2013 at 06:04 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

Now, one possible reason for added frustration might have been that her 1DX was serviced/looked at by Canon on Jun 19, 2013, and they had not said a word to her about the product advisory which was issued on Jun.17,2013. Therefore, she may have to send her 1DX back to Canon again, this time for product advisory remedial work.

Anyway, I am just trying to reconstruct that kinda scenario based on what she has written in her blog.

Jun 24, 2013 at 06:16 AM
John Mills
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

I particularly like this quote from her, "but I am too physiologically damaged to shoot with Canon ever again." Did she lose an eye or a leg from the physical damage of being a 1Dx owner shooter? I have never been on the receiving end of my Canon beating up on me!

Jun 24, 2013 at 06:34 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

John Mills wrote:
I particularly like this quote from her, "but I am too physiologically damaged to shoot with Canon ever again." Did she lose an eye or a leg from the physical damage of being a 1Dx owner shooter? I have never been on the receiving end of my Canon beating up on me!

John, you have described anatomical damage. Physiological damage could be from possible neurological damage giving rise to vibration white finger from hammering her keyboard so hard.

Jun 24, 2013 at 06:37 AM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

PetKal wrote:
Now, one possible reason for added frustration might have been that her 1DX was serviced/looked at by Canon on Jun 19, 2013, and they had not said a word to her about the product advisory which was issued on Jun.17,2013. Therefore, she may have to send her 1DX back to Canon again, this time for product advisory remedial work.

Anyway, I am just trying to reconstruct that kinda scenario based on what she has written in her blog.

Her frustration is really more about the specific canon branch she dealt with than the camera itself. Selling all your gear and replacing it is far more inconvenient than sending a camera in (again) for product advisory remedial work. She's far too over emotional. Was your 1DX affected? I'm planning to buy mine in the next few weeks and from what I can gather the problem has been resolved in newer bodies.

Jun 24, 2013 at 06:38 AM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

The trouble that I have with that blog is how she complained about how soft the images were AFTER Canon released the statement.

If she had complained about how dissatisfied with the images during the first three months, it'd have made more sense to me. Also, what about how the results "blew her away" when she tested it?

Jun 24, 2013 at 06:46 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

RCicala wrote:
I'm impressed that Canon has been proactive. They've issued a recall before many people have realized there's a problem.

I find that much better than some others that click their heels together three times while chanting "there is no problem, there is no problem".

Don't forget Canon did just thst not too long ago. I guess they learned something from the 1d3 fiasco.

Jun 24, 2013 at 07:09 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

Perfectionist mentality, there's nothing wrong yet but it could be, this might inconvenience me for a a bit so it's 'HORRIBLE THE SKY IS FALLING'...really.

What a waste of time worrying about an eventually that happens at every turn, imperfection, change is all around us, in near everything 'man' made.

Canon found a problem, issued an advisory...not a total recall...damn they're not perfect, so flock'em, I'm going to use my precious time writing about it, changing my gear, shooting style; where's the AF button, post processing workflow, etc. because...my diaper might be dirty.

Y'll know there's a meteor with our names on it, right, we just haven't spotted it yet...

Get a life

Jun 24, 2013 at 07:39 AM
Sanlameer
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

She must have had a terrible time with Canon, did the camera fall on her foot to cause physiological damage. Pschycological damage I could understand.

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:05 AM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

I'm an owner of a 1D3 which I bought off the FM board knowing full well there could be a problem.

I love the camera and did not pay full retail for it.

I agree that the person complaining is just being childish in her conclusion that she "might" have a problem. She may still believe that there is a boogy man in the closet.

If there is one thing I have learned in my pursuit of photography - for me, it is all in the lenses. Nikon makes some wonderful lenses but, there is a larger market with the Canon lenses. I even use Tamron and Zeiss on my bodies and get very satisfactory results.

Body values plummet fast while lenses seem to hold a good value relative to the times.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:21 AM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

For a person writing her own opinion on her own blog that her $6500 camera may have an issue that could have been fixed on the last trip to Canon that she's upset, aren't we all getting our collective panties in a bind more than she is? Is this just that odd internet thing where a person's vague opinion is taken as a vicious attack on another person's personal beliefs even though that's not really the case? Canon doesn't have a great track record with their 1 series AF. Yes, most don't report problems. Either way, if I spent north of $6k for a body I'd want it to be absolutely perfect and if I had been pondering switching to Nikon like she has been, that may be enough to push me over the edge, too.

And kudos to Canon for standing up and fixing the issue.

Edited on Jun 24, 2013 at 08:29 AM · View previous versions

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:28 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

Ian.Dobinson wrote:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1221044

Here's a thread I started on something that should have been recalled. Nikon's D800 is known to be faulty with the AF sensor, yet they still charge customers (me) to fix a problem they created. I've actually been tempted to switch back to Canon.

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:28 AM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

BenV, I've only known one D800 user. He didn't own the cameras long. Very bad AF. I actually got to play with his D800 and saw first hand how bad AF is with that camera. Couldn't even lock focus on a light switch on the wall with good lighting. My 5D3 snapped right to and was focused perfectly.

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:30 AM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon Gets Me Again!! by Piper Mackay

She is nothing more then a drama queen. Her statements lack any degree of credibility seeing as how she spent months praising her new toy. Perhaps she should go back to the fashion industry where they are used to dealing with this type of 14 year old teen age tantrums.

Dave

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:34 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.