New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Unique Perspective of the San Francisco Skyline

Arob1000
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Unique Perspective of the San Francisco Skyline

Here's a set of photos I took this weekend from Treasure Island. Getting to this location takes some effort and isn't 100% legal but it is well worth it (if anyone wants the details, PM me). The view is spectacular, one of the few areas where you can photograph both the Bay and Golden Gate Bridges, and it is hard to take a photograph that does it justice. I used my Canon TS-E 24mm II, Sigma 35mm, and 85L II for these shots. The first two photos were taken with the tilt-shift and both are "shift" panoramas. The 3rd was taken with the Sigma 35 (single exposure) and the 4th with the 85L (3 shot vertical pano).

If anyone is wondering, the bright lights on the left side of some of the photos is actually AT&T park where the San Francisco Giant's play baseball, there was a game going on while I was out there shooting.

I'd appreciate any CC.

Bay Area Bridges by Arob1000, on Flickr

San Francisco Sunset by Arob1000, on Flickr

San Francisco Bay by Arob1000, on Flickr

San Francisco Skyline B&W by Arob1000, on Flickr

Jun 23, 2013 at 07:55 PM
jcruizphoto
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Unique Perspective of the San Francisco Skyline

#4 works the best for me.

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:52 AM
futurshox
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Unique Perspective of the San Francisco Skyline

The 4th is fabulous, but I also love the colour in the third one. Nice vantage point!

Jun 24, 2013 at 09:41 AM
smallmihai
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Unique Perspective of the San Francisco Skyline

Dope, very well composed.

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:07 AM
pepperman
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Unique Perspective of the San Francisco Skyline

Nicely done! I like them all!

Jun 24, 2013 at 01:09 PM
Arob1000
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Unique Perspective of the San Francisco Skyline

futurshox wrote:
The 4th is fabulous, but I also love the colour in the third one. Nice vantage point!

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoy the 4th, I almost didn't post that one, it was an afterthought once I was done shooting wide.

#3 is getting a lot of attention on 500px, here's the link if you'd like to help get it to the front page!

http://500px.com/photo/38479654

Jun 24, 2013 at 03:28 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Unique Perspective of the San Francisco Skyline

I love the processing on all of these. A lovely vantage point too.

I think the second is my favourite.

Jun 24, 2013 at 04:41 PM
cmplaya
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Unique Perspective of the San Francisco Skyline

sick shots...

Jun 24, 2013 at 06:48 PM
Arob1000
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Unique Perspective of the San Francisco Skyline

Ed Swift wrote:
I love the processing on all of these. A lovely vantage point too.

I think the second is my favourite.

Thank you Ed, I wish there were more clouds, would have put that one over the top.

Jun 24, 2013 at 07:06 PM
platscha
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Unique Perspective of the San Francisco Skyline

Stunning and gorgeous to boot!

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:12 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Unique Perspective of the San Francisco Skyline

It's interesting to see that the 85L doesn't really produce any starlights.

#1 - Has potential, especially since you included the GG bridge. Fixing the slight vert distoriton would help too.

#2 - Way too much vertical distortion. Looks like the bridge is crashing down. This is why you use a TS-E to prevent issues like this from occuring. I like the overall colors in this one though. Much more natural.

#3 - Classic comp at this location, except you could crop out AT&T park, especially since it's blowned out. The starlights of the Sig35 are sweet. Processing can be a personal thing so I won't go there

#4 - Maybe cut down on the highlights a little. I would have personally gotten little lower of the ledge to get the buildings even lower than the bottom of the bridge. Same could be said with all 4 shots.

Jun 25, 2013 at 02:31 PM
kovairaja99
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Unique Perspective of the San Francisco Skyline

I agree with boingyman's comment above..
#3 is my pick..and the lights on the left side (AT&T park??) is a distraction..you can crop that portion.

Jun 25, 2013 at 04:04 PM
Arob1000
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Unique Perspective of the San Francisco Skyline

boingyman wrote:
It's interesting to see that the 85L doesn't really produce any starlights.

#1 - Has potential, especially since you included the GG bridge. Fixing the slight vert distoriton would help too.

#2 - Way too much vertical distortion. Looks like the bridge is crashing down. This is why you use a TS-E to prevent issues like this from occuring. I like the overall colors in this one though. Much more natural.

#3 - Classic comp at this location, except you could crop out AT&T park, especially since it's blowned out. The starlights of the Sig35 are sweet. Processing can be a personal
...Show more

Thanks for the comments. The whole distortion issue is interesting, I agree part of the reason I have the TS-E is to help combat it but it seems like all of the shift-panos I take with it have a lot of distortion. How do I get around that? I fixed it in #1 but forgot to for #2.

In terms of getting "lower" I kept my tripod somewhat low to the ground and wasn't able to get a stable place to shoot lower than that, I agree though it would be nice to have the buildings a bit farther under the bridge.

In #3 I agree, the Sigma 35 produces amazing starlights, I'm glad I decided to use it for a shot. It's too bad AT&T park is so blown out, I'm a big Giant's fan and would have loved to get the stadium all lit up from that perspective, maybe I'll see if I can clone it in from another exposure, might be tough to do though.

I can't wait to make a huge print of #1, I'm hoping people won't notice the Golden Gate at first glance.

Jun 25, 2013 at 09:26 PM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Unique Perspective of the San Francisco Skyline

Aaron, #'s 1 & 3 stand out to me the most. Although like others mentioned, the lights from AT&T Park take away from the image. However, you can easily crop that out to format the print size you want. Great work on all of them. I have heard it's pretty difficult to get down there and also back up. Any truth to that? I'd love to shoot that vantage point for when I travel out to SF again.

-Nick

Jun 26, 2013 at 09:56 AM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Unique Perspective of the San Francisco Skyline

You can always go back! I remember the first time you 'sort of' went near that spot, but you were a little farther away and lower.

As for the linear distortion part you just need to pay attention with the verticals. Depending on where your camera is pointed in relation to the verticals you may need to tilt accordingly to prevent coverging/diverging. In case#2 my guess is that your camera was facing downwards causing the diverging verticals of the bridge to lean outwards. In this case you can tilt to get it back straight. You could probably do a little fixing up in post, which might do the trick. On a totally seperate note, #2 didn't seem to blend well at the bottom right grassy area. You can see doubles of the branch/grass area.

Did you take any of the classic shots from a higher perspective with the car trail lights on the bridge with the city to the right? I have yet to take any shots from that location.

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Arob1000
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Unique Perspective of the San Francisco Skyline

boingyman wrote:
You can always go back! I remember the first time you 'sort of' went near that spot, but you were a little farther away and lower.

As for the linear distortion part you just need to pay attention with the verticals. Depending on where your camera is pointed in relation to the verticals you may need to tilt accordingly to prevent coverging/diverging. In case#2 my guess is that your camera was facing downwards causing the diverging verticals of the bridge to lean outwards. In this case you can tilt to get it back straight. You could probably do a
...Show more

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind, all of my shots started out with a bunch of vertical distortion and I had to fix them in post/clone in some of the sky which I usually don't like doing as it changes the frame a lot. I didn't take any higher shots this time, I'm going to have to go back when there are some clouds in the sky and give that a try, I did some exploring and found that spot but the light was brutal before sunset.

Jun 26, 2013 at 02:56 PM
Arob1000
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Unique Perspective of the San Francisco Skyline

nburwell wrote:
Aaron, #'s 1 & 3 stand out to me the most. Although like others mentioned, the lights from AT&T Park take away from the image. However, you can easily crop that out to format the print size you want. Great work on all of them. I have heard it's pretty difficult to get down there and also back up. Any truth to that? I'd love to shoot that vantage point for when I travel out to SF again.

-Nick

Thanks Nick. It is difficult, best to go out there with a friend. I'll PM you some info.

Jun 26, 2013 at 02:56 PM
John S. Hudson
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Unique Perspective of the San Francisco Skyline

some great shots here!

Jun 26, 2013 at 08:03 PM
Arob1000
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Unique Perspective of the San Francisco Skyline

John S. Hudson wrote:
some great shots here!

Thank you John,

boingyman, here's my updated version of #2

_D3_0967-Edit-Edit-2 by Arob1000, on Flickr

Jun 26, 2013 at 09:02 PM
exposuresltd
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Unique Perspective of the San Francisco Skyline

Aaron -

Great job on the revision of #2!! The original was pretty disturbing as both bridge towers were leaning out of the frame. I use TS-E glass almost everyday. The trick is to keep your camera level and then use the lens to adjust the composition and focus plane. Most of my work is using only the shift portion and not the tilt. (I keep it locked when using the 17mm & 24mm lenses.) On these newer lenses you can keep the shift tilt both vertical or horizontal...whereas on the older 24mm, 45mm and 90mm, these movements are opposed to each other.

Nice location. Would you please PM me the info so I can check it out on the next SF trip? Thanks!!

-Gary.

Jul 01, 2013 at 01:33 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.