Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 24-105 corner softness?

vatic42

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 24-105 corner softness?

Hey all -- I have recently been using my 24-105 instead of my 24-70 ii due to want of IS and extra range. I took some texture pictures recently at 105mm f/8 and they corners and edges are fairly blurry. Below is a link to one of the pictures. Does this look like it is due to a DOF issue (camera was tilted so focal plane is off?) or does anyone think it is an issue with the lens?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tkoxql97rzj8ym3/FO7C3729.jpg

Jun 23, 2013 at 07:18 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 24-105 corner softness?

The 24-105 has soft-ish corners, but not as bad as that. Can you photograph a target parallel to the film plane?

EBH

Jun 23, 2013 at 07:26 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 24-105 corner softness?

EB-1 wrote:
The 24-105 has soft-ish corners, but not as bad as that. Can you photograph a target parallel to the film plane?

EBH

Seconded- you may have simply not had the DOF.

Jun 23, 2013 at 07:40 PM
bin
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 24-105 corner softness?

I bought a 24-105 that behaved like this a long time ago. I exchanged it immediately and the replacement didn't have the same problem.

Jun 23, 2013 at 09:07 PM
bboule
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 24-105 corner softness?

What was your subject distance? My 24-105 is fine at medium/long distance but it does this as you approach MFD. You would never never want to use it for a macro shot of a flat-plane subject.

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:58 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 24-105 corner softness?

Your sample image does not look at all like what I get from my 24-105 when shooting a flat subject parallel to the sensor plane at f/8. There really is not any special corner softness problem with this lens when it is working correctly, especially at the long end. (There can be another corner issue related to vignetting at the wide end and at f/4, but that is a complete different thing.)

You might want to try a very careful test just to confirm or eliminate various explanations. I'd put the camera on the tripod, line it up so that it is pointing straight at something flat like a wall (i.e. - the sensor is parallel to the subject), and make a few shots.

If that resolves the issue, the explanation here could be that you were not lined up with the subject - though I have some doubts about that given that there is softness in your example in more than one corner. Or you could have a mechanical problem with the lens that may require a trip back to Canon service.

I had a similar - though perhaps not identical - problem with my 24-105 a few years back. It began to develop some very serious softness on one side of the frame. I finally sent it in for adjustment/repair and it came back better than new. All lenses can go out of adjustment for various reasons, though I have a theory (though you could call it wild speculation!) that this lens may be a bit more affected by jostling around and, as a result, may go out of adjustment a bit more easily.

Dan

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 24-105 corner softness?

My 24-105 does not have that blur at the edges. Assuming the wall was parallel to the sensor then I would try and get the lens fixed.

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 24-105 corner softness?

Is there any chance you have a low quality filter on the front of this lens?

Karl

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 24-105 corner softness?

It looks to be nonparallel to the subject. The left and right are far more blurry than top and bottom, indicating a tilted situation. Try again, making sure the camera and subject are perfectly aligned.

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:41 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.