Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Carl Auer, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism app...

Bark Imaging

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism appreciated.

300 mm f/3.2 1/1250 sec 400 ISO 0.0 EV This is a great one. Especially to sell. Your gear is good at high ISO, but you can help it some.

300 mm f/3.5 1/4000 sec 2500 ISO 0.0 EV Since you had an over cast day pretty much everything is constant for a long time. In Soccer, I feel that, 1/1000 on your shutter is fine at all times. 1/1000 f/3.5 640 ISO is the same exposure. In lower light levels. I always keep my ISO as low as possible using the slowest shutter I'm willing to use as my point of reference.

Jun 25, 2013 at 02:23 PM
stedge
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism appreciated.

Thanks!

Jun 25, 2013 at 03:21 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.2 #3 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism appreciated.

As Russ, I also shoot with the 400 + 1.4tc which provides a max ap of f/4.0. Even without the tc I rarely go below 4.0 as the DOF is usually too small for multiplayer interaction on the pitch. Even on the second body with the 70-200 my setup is f/4.0 vs 2.8. For me it's extremely poor lighting that forces the use of 2.8 in order to keep the SS up. Last season with the move up to the 1D-X, that need has subsided and I'm back to 4-5.6, even at night. My suggestion is to try shooting a match or two with 4.0 and see for yourself. The in focus keepers should improve.

Matt

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:54 PM
stedge
• • •
p.2 #4 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism appreciated.

I will do it!

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:08 PM
jspytek
• •
p.2 #5 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism appreciated.

<post removed>

Edited on Jun 29, 2013 at 03:27 AM · View previous versions

Jun 28, 2013 at 01:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pinata
• •
p.2 #6 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism appreciated.

I will be playing with DOF again on Sunday thanks to OP and Russ. Thanks.

I'm shooting ultimate frisbee. One lens is 400 2.8 and it does not change from 2.8 when I tell it to from the camera. I had stopped down to get players for the anthem and the image was all white. I had been thinking that it didn't matter since I shoot wide open almost all the time.

I'm re-thinking that. I will have to experiment using a 300 2.8, though, since the 400 is acting up.

Jun 29, 2013 at 01:54 AM
Steven King
• •
p.2 #7 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism appreciated.

Eric,
You've done a pretty good job here. You've also gotten a lot of good advice by a others too so here are my $0.02, or more.

1. I've found that AutoISO can mess things up, so the comment about not using Auto anything is spot on.
2. AF-On, use it to focus and the shutter release for the shutter only, otherwise anything crossing your field of view can throw off the focus point. It will take practice to do that with your thumb while you still shoot with your finger, but it works, especially with soccer and the players on all sorts of different focal planes.
3. Russ is right about Aperture, you really don't need to, and in most cases shouldn't, use f/2.8. Check this site to see what your DOF will be using your 300mm

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Just play with this a bit and you may not have to go back very often once you get the idea of how razor thin the DOF is with your AP wide open.

I'm going to assume you were shooting quite a bit at about 60ft or 20yds away
f/2.8 at 60ft, or 20yds, you get 2ft of DOF, not much.
f/3.2 at 60ft is 2.2ft of DOF
f/4 at 60ft gives 2.8ft DOF,
f/5.6 at 60ft gives 4ft DOF

Choose your AP wisely knowing what your subject is, and also what else you will want in focus too, like opponents or not. You can see how this works with the last frame you posted, where one of your youngest daughters feet is in focus, and the other is not.

4. Just remember to be flexible and don't get locked into a particular ISO setting, AP or SS too. You don't lose quality at higher settings like 3200 or 6400 which is great. Of course for every stop smaller AP you also get 1 stop less light, and 1 stop less Shutter speed too, so going from ISO800 to ISO1600 fixes that issue. Also, LOW ISO in bright light may be required, but don't forget that you can increase AP too, since that doesn't effect DOF too much, using f/5.6 or f/8 on sunny days isn't all bad.

Jun 29, 2013 at 04:33 PM
stedge
• • •
p.2 #8 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism appreciated.

Thank you, Steven. Looking forward to putting all the advice here into practice. A bit of a slow time for soccer, locally, but I am filing it all away.

Again, thanks to everyone for teaching. I will post again after I work out some of this. Hope you all have a nice 4th!

Eric

Jun 29, 2013 at 06:50 PM
ahender

p.2 #9 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism appreciated.

Is your daughter U14 or rising U14? My daughter was U14 in the fall and played in the Raleigh tournament in December.

Jul 07, 2013 at 01:46 AM
stedge
• • •
p.2 #10 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism appreciated.

She's a 98/U14 currently. In the fall starts U15.
Her older sister is a 95.

Jul 07, 2013 at 06:25 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password