Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism app...

stedge
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism appreciated.

U14 girls' soccer. Most pix are my youngest (Triangle Futbol Club jersey). The last in the first group is one of her teammatessliding through the muck. I know, no face and no ball, but I like it anyway. Also recognize the cutoff foot, but will work on that.

The rainy day was, well.., rainy and grey, hence the high iso, then it would brighten up briefly now and then. Honestly I cannot recall the lighting situation for the elbow.

All D3 + 300/2.8 VR

Tell me how to get better, please.

Thanks.

Eric

NIKON D3    300mm    f/3.2    1/1600s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D3    300mm    f/3.2    1/3200s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D3    300mm    f/3.2    1/4000s    2500 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D3    300mm    f/3.2    1/4000s    2500 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D3    300mm    f/3.5    1/4000s    2500 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Jun 23, 2013 at 09:29 PM · View previous versions

Jun 23, 2013 at 09:07 PM
stedge
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism appreciated.

Couple more

The last is my older girls' teammate catching it in the back (in the box, in front of the linesman (or whatever you call them!).

NIKON D3    300mm    f/3.2    1/1250s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D3    300mm    f/3.2    1/1600s    2500 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jun 23, 2013 at 09:10 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism appreciated.

Eric: Thanks for posting your images. For many of us, the first post of images here is a big step taken with a heavy dose of trepidation. Welcome to that club.

These look good. Beautiful photo of your daughter in the first image. Good action in 2, 3 and 4, and ideally you wouldn't have cut off her foot in #3. All three of these look to me like you could add some pop to them by playing around with levels. A slight increase in exposure, a slight increase in the shadows, and an increase in the black point and I think these look even better. It does look like noise is a bit of an issue.

I'm not feeling #5, probably for the reasons you stated. Just looks like someone falling with both girls away from the action. 6 is another good action shot that could benefit from an increase in exposure--expose for skin and don't worry about blowing out the background. Last shot is a nice, away-from-the-action, inside-the-game type of photo.

Looks like quite a few of these are from the side, which in my view is not ideal. I don't know where you're shooting from, but behind the end line is my preference. Let's you wait for the action to come at you, head-on, which can provide for much more intense photos. If you're going to be shooting a lot of soccer, have you considered a second body with a 70-200 zoom? Then you can throw an extender on that 300 and give yourself more field coverage. Stick around. We'll spend some money for you.

Keep 'em coming.

Jun 23, 2013 at 09:39 PM
stedge
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism appreciated.

Thanks!

I am even more of a novice at post-processing, so trying to do what I can in camera. Will work on your suggestions.

As for the $ - I have no doubt that you will. I better go earn some more.

Jun 23, 2013 at 09:55 PM
stedge
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism appreciated.

Better? I think so. Very much appreciated.

Edited on Jun 23, 2013 at 10:04 PM · View previous versions

Jun 23, 2013 at 09:59 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism appreciated.

stedge wrote:
Better? I think so.

Definitely.

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:03 PM
BillP57
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism appreciated.

This is a nice first post for sports. There is not much I can add to Russ' comments other than Welcome to the Sports Corner. This is a great place to get the advice needed to improve your images, as long as you can accept the sometimes harsh comments. You just have to keep in mind that the comments are generally meant to help. I think you're off to a very good start.

Bill

Jun 24, 2013 at 01:24 PM
stedge
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism appreciated.

Thanks, Bill.

Eric

Jun 24, 2013 at 01:44 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism appreciated.

Welcome to the Sports Forum, Eric! Very good set here, for sure They show you already have a good command of what is necessary for soccer action. Russ' advise is spot on, as usual I'll also throw in MTC regarding field position in that having action coming at you provides some of the best opportunities. Yes, you can get good shots from the sideline but in general it's far better from the endzone. Try picking a point just inside the "box line" to setup. Another point about noise.... 1/4000 & ISO 2500 might be a contributor? ISO 1250 would have been more than enough and still provides a SS of 1/2000. Recognize the hard part is the darting in/out of the sun requiring adjustments on the fly. Just some food for thought.

Looking forward to your next post!

Regards,
Matt

Jun 24, 2013 at 02:41 PM
stedge
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism appreciated.

Matt,

Yeah, the iso was high. Was actually a dark, rainy day and then occasionally there would be a bright patch. I didn't adjust iso, just upped the SS and then dropped it back down as the cloud cover got heavier again.

Or at least that is my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

I have never tried auto iso, perhaps I should? Do you all shoot with auto iso or change it on the fly manually?

Thank you, too, for your input.

Eric

Jun 24, 2013 at 04:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism appreciated.

Russ Isabella wrote:
Definitely.

I concur!

Ted

Jun 24, 2013 at 04:31 PM
stedge
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism appreciated.

Thank you, Ted.

Jun 24, 2013 at 04:42 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism appreciated.

Eric, I've tried both ways. Have had some success but can't say there is one obvious solution. There have been occasions where auto iOS has worked for me. Usually I adjust on the fly.

Matt

Jun 24, 2013 at 04:57 PM
stedge
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism appreciated.

I will just try it at some point, then. Thx.

Jun 24, 2013 at 05:14 PM
Bark Imaging

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism appreciated.

The day I learned what a dSLR was I did everything I could to get rid of the d. I shoot kids sports every single weekend. ISO changes so infrequently it is better to just shoot manual. Anything auto has the potential to change exposures over shorts bursts. Lock the ap at the best your lens has. Adjust ISO from time to time, but with the worst clouds, the fluffy cotton ball ones that are spotted in the sky. From the worst backlit shadow on a dark skinned player to the brightest front lit pale skinned kid is 2 stops. 6 Clicks on your shutter. Keep your ISO where you never really dip past 1250, maybe 1000 on shutter. Then you have 1600,2500,3200,4000,5000,6400,8000 shutter. ISO will depend on lens speed. I do have a fundamental opposition to not having 2.8 available. The 100-400 is not a pro lens if the light isn't strong. Then it barely makes it.

It seems like you have it set to AV mode. It also seems like you have a 300mm capable of 2.8. There is a button that locks your ap dial. Sub that for the AV mode. Then literally all the changing you do is with your pointer finger. ISO button and then dial is the rarest. Shutter button. And shutter control button. The design of it makes it simple. Also everyting you need to do can be seen in the HUD in the viewfinder. It gets to be a trick where you measure out the field, and as the action goes through measures of the field, you pointer finger works the shutter speed control. Its easy as heck. Best part is that you can actually expose for skin instead of whatever happens to be around the focal point.

Jun 24, 2013 at 09:37 PM
stedge
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism appreciated.

Thanks for the input.

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism appreciated.

Bark Imaging wrote:
....Lock the ap at the best your lens has...

Since this has shaped up to be something of an instructional thread, I have to disagree with this suggestion from Bark, which he also has posted elsewhere, that you should lock in at your widest aperture. Light permitting, what you're shooting should dictate the aperture range you choose to work with. If you're shooting a single player, like your first shot of your daughter, lock in focus on her eyes and f/2.8 will give you a beautiful shot. But take a look at your fifth shot (last in the first post) and you can see that the focal plane at f/3.5 is not sufficiently deep to allow for both players' faces to be sharply focused. Maybe this isn't what you want, but with a sport like soccer where the best action has two or three players battling for the ball, there will be many times when they will not all occupy the same narrow focal plane provided by your widest aperture. Some semblance of sharpness across all the players will require stopping down. At 30 feet, your Nikon D3 with 300 lens gives you 6 inches of DOF at f/2.8. At f/4.5, you're up to about 9.5 inches. f/5 gives you just about 11 inches. Here's a shot at f/5 with a 300 + 1.4 so 560mm at about 30 yards, which gave me just under a foot of DOF. Focus is on the player in the middle, and I doubt the defenders would be acceptably sharp at f/2.8. (Well, technically, f/4 would have been my widest possible aperture with the extender, but you get my point.) I'm a guy who for many years held fast to idea that my widest aperture is my best aperture, but more experienced and better shooters than I (hope they'll chime in here) have convinced me, or should I say their images have, to think more about this. (Also note in the shot below that the background is more than sufficiently OOF to highlight the subjects of the shot. This is more a function of the distance between subject and background than the specific aperture.)

http://www.russisabellaphotography.com/RSL2013/Sounders3.JPG

Jun 25, 2013 at 03:14 AM
picboy
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism appreciated.

the f stop thing is right on. part of your bag of tricks. i use 2.8 for things like baseball, but some times this back fires. i nailed a catcher the other day colliding with the runner at home and the shot would have been great if both players faces were in focus (only the catchers was). soccer is tougher due to what Russ says, you want to keep several planes in focus. thks russ for your tip.

Jun 25, 2013 at 04:27 AM
stedge
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism appreciated.

This is all great instruction!

So you know my (exceptionally limited) thought and other processes (as best I can recall):

1. I shoot manual. Always.

2. I had the iso cranked up because it was often dark (my original set does not do the weather justice)

3. Occasionally it would lighten up and to compensate I find it quickest and easiest to mess with SS

4. I chose 3.2 to give myself just a trace bit more room for error on focus (I was not sure of actual DOF 2.8 vs 3.2, but I figured a little wiggle room - which really may not be true based on those #s I see in your post, Russ - not a whole heck of a lot diff), but did not go higher because of the crappy weather. Also, sometimes I get caught up watching my kid more than I do the meter!

5. Some of these were from the end (the altered one of my daughter for example - she is a center back and was working that girl outside so the shot from the end gets an oblique view). However as an amateur without any credentials I often am not allowed on the field. At local public HS games where my elder girl plays in the spring (club in the fall here for HS), they do not allow anyone without credentials on the field, so I have to shoot from outside the fence, from the side, etc. So I tend to move around a lot, also trying to get all the kids for their parents.

6. Finally, I do find that shooting soccer is good for me, too. On the sidelines I have a tendency to make a comment or 2, although I try to keep it slightly humorous. I behave much better with a camera at my face. an exception occurred with that elbow in the box right in front of the ref. I calmly offered my glasses to him so he could see the picture of what he chose to ignore.... But usually when a camera is in front of my face and I am trying to keep a good spot, I shut up. So I consider it therapeutic behavior modification, as well as a rewarding hobby.

You guys have been great and I really appreciate all the teaching and opinions.

Eric

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Bark Imaging

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Soccer- First post in Sports. Constructive criticism appreciated.

Russ is right about the app, of course. When I have a game I tend to need to shoot 4 teams per round. I usually grab about 1000-1500 per round. So sometimes I forget to slow down and do things better.

I think this weekend I may spend sometime working on actually using DOF again. What Picboy says is dead on. When there is some collision I tend to track one subject and let the other be the background. This can really sell to one parent, but not the other.

Jun 25, 2013 at 02:13 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password