1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2013 · Question about selling gear on FM

Access
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Question about selling gear on FM

Doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.

Haggling is useful especially if you want a good price on a relatively common item.
They could be random numbers for all that matters, whats important is that people believe they mean _something_.

If, for instance, only one out of ten otherwise identical 'L' lenses had a red ring, you can bet that there would be enough people out there who would find the rarer ones more valuable. It's basically human nature (to dwell on the trivial).

Some photographers are social by nature and others must be social by trade.

Jun 26, 2013 at 09:45 AM
StarNut
• • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Question about selling gear on FM

borderlight wrote:
I rephrase then: Codes are for collectors AND hagglers, not photographers.

So, just to be clear, you're saying that, given a choice between two apparently identical lenses, from the same reputable seller, one ten years old and one one year old, you'd happily take the older lens (because you snort at date codes as having any meaning to "photographers," and you certainly consider yourself a "photographer")?

My mileage varies....

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Access
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Question about selling gear on FM

Starnut, I think you assume too much,

If I was the buyer in that situation, my strategy would be trying to haggle for a lower price on the older lens because it's _obviously_ worth much less based on the fact it is older as shown by the older date code.[1]

If I was the seller, I would likely be of a different mindset, but really it would depend. At least, that is the basic idea of buying/selling/trading in economics. The seller of a rare item that is in high demand is at an advantage, the seller of a common item or one that is not in high demand is at a disadvantage. Depending on the situation I was in, I would likely act differently.

In other words my sentiment about date codes (that they're rather insignificant in the scheme of things) is kinda beside the point when it comes to actually trading, as trading or buying/selling has its own strategies.

[1] I'm assuming the lens is at least reasonably common.

Jun 26, 2013 at 01:23 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Question about selling gear on FM

So, just to be clear, you're saying that, given a choice between two apparently identical lenses, from the same reputable seller, one ten years old and one one year old, you'd happily take the older lens (because you snort at date codes as having any meaning to "photographers," and you certainly consider yourself a "photographer")?

I would be looking at the condition of the lens first. I'm sure a 10 year old lens would reveal itself, or be a discontinued model. Lens codes apply to Canon L lenses and a smattering of Non-L only. Unless you can provide me with an example of an L lens that Canon replaced at the end of a year there is really no point in making a comparison.

Some L lenses made in the last couple of years no longer have date codes. They now have longer 10 digit serial numbers but few have figured out if the build date is coded in. Additionally, if you use equipment other than Canon, you don't have codes to worry about. And if you buy new, like I used to, you are assured of the best born-on date.

As my FM Profile says, I was a pro photographer, mostly in the film age, for 30 years. I now consider myself an amateur, but the "photographer" in me is for life.

Jun 26, 2013 at 01:58 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Question about selling gear on FM

borderlight wrote:
I would be looking at the condition of the lens first. I'm sure a 10 year old lens would reveal itself, or be a discontinued model. Lens codes apply to Canon L lenses and a smattering of Non-L only. Unless you can provide me with an example of an L lens that Canon replaced at the end of a year there is really no point in making a comparison.

Some L lenses made in the last couple of years no longer have date codes. They now have longer 10 digit serial numbers but few have figured out if the build
...Show more
as numerous prior threads pointed out, if everything (condition, IQ, seller reputation, etc) were the same, would you pick a newer lens over an older lens...to me I would pick newer lens because its simply newer, again condition and everything else identical except date code.

Would you pick the older lens? if so, I would be curious to know why

also curious as to your definition of "photographer"

Jul 10, 2013 at 02:44 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.