Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Question about selling gear on FM

RichFisher
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question about selling gear on FM

Hi

I have been selling a few lenses that I don't use on the FM forum. It seems that a common question I get is about the code date. Lenses don't spoil like milk and unless there is change in the lens (which I don't think happens often) what difference does the code date make?

What am I missing?

Thanks

Rich

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:39 PM
stan23
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question about selling gear on FM

not much, but lenses are still mechanical with moving parts, and there is probably some sort of MTBF. When buying used, people just want the newest for their money.

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:51 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question about selling gear on FM

Canon sometimes does make improvements over the life of a lens.

If I have the choice between a 1999 version and a 2012 version at the same price which would I pick?

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:01 PM
RichFisher
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question about selling gear on FM

okay 1999 and 2012. But 2010 and 2012?

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:06 PM
RichFisher
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question about selling gear on FM

stan23 wrote:
not much, but lenses are still mechanical with moving parts, and there is probably some sort of MTBF. When buying used, people just want the newest for their money.

would you rather have a newer lens with lots of use or older lens with less use? Is condition more important than age? That is the key question for me.

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:07 PM
RichFisher
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question about selling gear on FM

RobDickinson wrote:
Canon sometimes does make improvements over the life of a lens.

If I have the choice between a 1999 version and a 2012 version at the same price which would I pick?

I can understand between 1999 and 2012 but 2010 and 2012?

Also is there some way to determine when Canon updated a lens but did not replace it?

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question about selling gear on FM

RichFisher wrote:
Hi

I have been selling a few lenses that I don't use on the FM forum. It seems that a common question I get is about the code date. Lenses don't spoil like milk and unless there is change in the lens (which I don't think happens often) what difference does the code date make?

What am I missing?

Thanks

Rich

Yes lenses could last virtually forever but still people looking for newer lenses and pay less than in store. Also if seller is a pro photographer, miles could be pretty high even on new lens.

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:16 PM
jaybird555
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question about selling gear on FM

Breitling65 wrote:
Yes lenses could last virtually forever but still people looking for newer lenses and pay less than in store. Also if seller is a pro photographer, miles could be pretty high even on new lens.

I been saying that for a while, lens codes don't mean very much to me.

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question about selling gear on FM

Yes, it's about the age of the lens. Age and condition are both part of the market value of the lens.
For some, age is of little importance, for others, the value of new(er) is quite high.

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:26 PM
outlawyer
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Question about selling gear on FM

Waited until the newest Drainpipe available came up for sale

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Question about selling gear on FM

Those growing up in the digital age tend to believe newer is always better. The rapid product cycles of computers, phones, etc., has indoctrinated them into the uber consumer fold. I can recall when people wanted early production because they thought they were better! Perhaps production was slower and more careful out the gate and accelerated with later copies, resulting in more IQ variance. And then there are lenses like the EF 50 1.8, not made since 1990, people are willing to pay a premium for over the current version due to metal mount, distance scale and generally better construction (plus they seem to work forever).

Personally I'm most concerned about condition, not age. I saw a lens only a few months old a PJ friend of mine used that looked like he hammered nails with it (probably because it belonged to the newspaper). Much rather buy an older lens owned by a gentleman amateur, used only on vacation, Christmas and graduation.

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:59 PM
outlawyer
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Question about selling gear on FM

Gochugogi wrote:
Those growing up in the digital age tend to believe newer is always better. The rapid product cycles of computers, phones, etc., has indoctrinated them into the uber consumer fold. I can recall when people wanted early production because they thought they were better! .

So true. Obsolescence at speed of light with many electronics. For what other products do people stand in line overnight for the privilege of being the first to replace their 22 month-old, perfectly functional personal appliance?

Jun 23, 2013 at 12:21 AM
StarNut
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Question about selling gear on FM

Unless you can find out how "used" a lens is (not often the case), newer is a fair proxy for "less used." So it's perfectly reasonable for potential buyers to care about age of a used lens. Especially for a lens that has been/was in production for many years.

That said, I find the discount for buying a used high-quality lens (especially here) to be so little, that I'd rather buy new (or Canon refurb). For it's easily worth 15%-20% to me to have a warranty and return privilege.

YMMV, on both counts.

Jun 23, 2013 at 12:58 AM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Question about selling gear on FM

When Canon changes anything, the version changes. Case and point is 200/2.8L vII. Only change was the hood!

Jun 23, 2013 at 02:09 AM
Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Question about selling gear on FM

Also be advised, some lenses repaired by Canon, come back with NO DATE CODE. A rather generic tair piece was used during repair, thus loosing the true date code. These lenses would then be hard to date accurately.
Harry Palmer

Jun 23, 2013 at 02:37 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Question about selling gear on FM

Kingfishphoto wrote:
Also be advised, some lenses repaired by Canon, come back with NO DATE CODE. A rather generic tair piece was used during repair, thus loosing the true date code. These lenses would then be hard to date accurately.
Harry Palmer

Also some new production has done away with date codes albeit I'm sure that info is embedded in the ROM if you can access it.

Jun 23, 2013 at 03:28 AM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Question about selling gear on FM

the 24-70 changed around UR from raised mf switches to flat switches. i liked the raised ones better.

other than that, i haven't notices any difference between date codes as far as performance.

internet lore says that the older 100-400's are not as good as the newer ones, but i have an older one that i seem to be able to create really nice and sharp images with.

Jun 23, 2013 at 04:24 AM
RichFisher
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Question about selling gear on FM

Tom Dix wrote:
Yes, it's about the age of the lens. Age and condition are both part of the market value of the lens.
For some, age is of little importance, for others, the value of new(er) is quite high.

asking for the code - okay make sure that a lens is a 10 years old with low mileage but if only a few years old, I would consider the condition of the lens most important.

Jun 23, 2013 at 04:44 AM
erikburd
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Question about selling gear on FM

big country wrote:
the 24-70 changed around UR from raised mf switches to flat switches. i liked the raised ones better.

other than that, i haven't notices any difference between date codes as far as performance.

internet lore says that the older 100-400's are not as good as the newer ones, but i have an older one that i seem to be able to create really nice and sharp images with.

The old 135L and 200L lenses also had the raised switches. Interesting that the AF switch panel on my 135L has flat switches and the new font, while the distance scale and remaining items are in helvetica font. The model that I rented had all raised switches, so I was a bit surprised when I bought mine.

Apparently they only changed the AF switch panel. Go figure.

Jun 23, 2013 at 04:55 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Question about selling gear on FM

RichFisher wrote:
okay 1999 and 2012. But 2010 and 2012?

If the condition are the same I would of course take the 2012 lens It's better the lens have been used one year than 3 years.

Jun 23, 2013 at 05:50 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password