New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 1DX: Improved Performance after Service Update

Doctorbird
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1DX: Improved Performance after Service Update

Took the 1DX and 400II out in the field today. I do believe my keeper rate as well as image IQ went up after the service update. Focus acquisition seemed more assured and images on average a bit sharper. This appears noticeable, for example, when grab shooting on a few quick little sparrows/swallows where I could only get mostly blurry images before (although the example here isn't extremely sharp).

I had thought that the difficulty I was experiencing was due to the 400 II and have been puzzled about it for weeks. Now I think the coupling with the 1DX works well together.

One thing though: I felt that I need to use the Focus Preset feature of the lens a bit more than before. Could be my imagination, or perhaps what Canon did affected other aspects of the focusing system other than what they tersely described.

These were all captured with the 400 f/2.8 IS II + 2X III TC on the 1DX - all hand held. I chose to use the 2x combination as this being the most stringent test of the system.

Db

Edited!!

Edited on Jun 24, 2013 at 01:17 AM · View previous versions

Jun 22, 2013 at 01:47 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1DX: Improved Performance after Service Update

Great shots. Alas we are getting foul weather this weekend and won't be able to test the servo performance, but it would be awesome if the AF performance was even better.

Jun 22, 2013 at 03:27 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1DX: Improved Performance after Service Update

That looks good, Dr. Morrell.
I am not sure what you mean by "having to use the focus pre-set button" ?

As a side note, it is not desirable to upgrade lenses and cameras at the same time. Should any operating difficulties be experienced, the cause analysis becomes quite difficult.
For example, I tested all of my MkII long lenses on 1DMkIIN and 1DsMkII which cameras I know rather well. Therefore, any new oddity in performance ought to be attributed to the new lenses.

This new 1DX recall, and its effects on AF, are left to us, the Canon customers, to try to understand and quantify, as usual. If you think you are now getting better performance out of your 1DX + 400 II + 2xTC III setup, that's going in the right direction.
However, I believe that the addition of 2xTC III makes the setup AF performance more stable. Therefore, in some ways a tougher Servo AF test IMO would be to use 400 II alone on 1DX.

Jun 22, 2013 at 07:25 AM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1DX: Improved Performance after Service Update

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Great shots. Alas we are getting foul weather this weekend and won't be able to test the servo performance, but it would be awesome if the AF performance was even better.

Whayne,

Hope your weather improved as well as your 1DX - if you were having problems, that is.

Db

Jun 24, 2013 at 01:20 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1DX: Improved Performance after Service Update

Doctorbird wrote:
Whayne,

Hope your weather improved as well as your 1DX - if you were having problems, that is.

Db

Weather is still miserable, but I hadn't had any problems before the service, but the fact it needed cleaning maybe means it will have better performance now. I need all the help I can get.

Jun 24, 2013 at 01:35 AM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1DX: Improved Performance after Service Update

PetKal wrote:
That looks good, Dr. Morrell.
I am not sure what you mean by "having to use the focus pre-set button" ?

As a side note, it is not desirable to upgrade lenses and cameras at the same time. Should any operating difficulties be experienced, the cause analysis becomes quite difficult.
For example, I tested all of my MkII long lenses on 1DMkIIN and 1DsMkII which cameras I know rather well. Therefore, any new oddity in performance ought to be attributed to the new lenses.

This new 1DX recall, and its effects on AF, are left to us, the Canon customers, to try to
...Show more

Peter: Thanks for the comments. I've been occupied and delayed answering.

Your point is well taken regarding independent analysis of individual components. However I acquired my "Super" equipment within a relatively short time of each other so there was no extended test of either component for things to settle to a stable state. I thought the 1DX/500 II worked well, so I blamed the problems that surfaced on the 400II, especially since it occurred about the time that it's firmware was upgraded - and I (probably erroneously) suspected that as a source. At any rate I hope thing have settled now.

As for the Preset Button. I really meant the Preset function of the lens (I edited the post to clarify this).

I have the 1DX lens drive option set to "Lens drive when AF impossible: OFF"

I use the Focus Preset button in conjunction with the Playback Ring on the lens to help the AF system by prefocusing approximately within the range of my target. Otherwise the lens will not even attempt to focus. I use this effectively for long range shots, say about 30 meters or so.

If there is a target in the nearest focus limit range (2.7m to 7m for the 400II) and the limit switch in the corresponding position, I find that the AF system needs lots of nudging(and time) to home in on the target. And the Preset feature isn't foolproof in this position. Very frustrating. The 500II behaves similarly and seems worse with TC's.

If "Lens drive when AF impossible: ON" is set, the system seems to behave better, although Canon recommends the OFF position for Super Teles.

Setting the focus limit doesn't seem to guarantee that the lens will find itself in that particular range. One has to physically turn the focus ring to assist it or use the Focus preset feature.

It would be beneficial if the Lens drive options were not so buried in the menu system.

It seems to me that these problems weren't as pronounced before the service update. I don't have my 5DIII at the moment to see how it behaves in this respect. I will do a comparison soon after it is returned.

Well, enough ranting.

Here are some images with the 400II, some with the 1.4X and some with the 2.0:

Edited on Jun 24, 2013 at 02:17 AM · View previous versions

Jun 24, 2013 at 02:10 AM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1DX: Improved Performance after Service Update

... a few more:

Jun 24, 2013 at 02:12 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1DX: Improved Performance after Service Update

Doctorbird wrote:
If "Lens drive when AF impossible: ON" is set, the system seems to behave better, although Canon recommends the OFF position for Super Teles.

Setting the focus limit doesn't seem to guarantee that the lens will find itself in that particular range. One has to physically turn the focus ring to assist it or use the Focus preset feature.

Db, those tern shots are not easy to make with 800mm, and I think they are focused well.
I also think "lens drive when AF is impossible" should be left on, regardless of what Canon says.

Now, to help with extreme defocus problem at such long FLs, one can only do two things:
(1) Set the focus distance limiter switch on the "upper" range, whenever possible.
(2) Make a habit of always pre-focusing the lens to the anticipated distance of the first contact with the target. I do that by pointing the lens at any scenery feature which I judge to be at an approximate distance of the first contact with the target, be that water surface, a tree or whatever, and then AF on it.

In all this there is a simple guiding rule of thumb: If we can't see the target in VF, or we barely see it only as a ghostly and faint blob, then 1DX AF system will probably be unable to see it either. What we can't see well enough, the camera will not be able to AF on it outright.

Jun 24, 2013 at 05:42 AM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1DX: Improved Performance after Service Update

Are you talking about the service advisory or the recent firmware update?

Curiously, I updated my 1DX firmware on Thursday in preparation for a wedding Saturday and noticed diminished AF performance in a few isolated situations. Live and learn...!

Jun 24, 2013 at 09:45 AM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1DX: Improved Performance after Service Update

Fast6 wrote:
Are you talking about the service advisory or the recent firmware update?

Curiously, I updated my 1DX firmware on Thursday in preparation for a wedding Saturday and noticed diminished AF performance in a few isolated situations. Live and learn...!

Service advisory.

Db

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1DX: Improved Performance after Service Update

Wow, you got it in and out fast!

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1DX: Improved Performance after Service Update

Yes that's really fast

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1DX: Improved Performance after Service Update

Sven Jeppesen wrote:
Yes that's really fast

Canon will do the fix in a day. The rest is up to us.

Db

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:21 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1DX: Improved Performance after Service Update

Fast6 wrote:
Wow, you got it in and out fast!

I agree, Fast, that was fast.

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1DX: Improved Performance after Service Update

PetKal wrote:
Db, those tern shots are not easy to make with 800mm, and I think they are focused well.
I also think "lens drive when AF is impossible" should be left on, regardless of what Canon says.

Now, to help with extreme defocus problem at such long FLs, one can only do two things:
(1) Set the focus distance limiter switch on the "upper" range, whenever possible.
(2) Make a habit of always pre-focusing the lens to the anticipated distance of the first contact with the target. I do that by pointing the lens at any scenery feature which I judge to be at an
...Show more

Peter,

Yes, the keeper rate is definitely higher with the 1.4x than the 2.0x - and i'd be a bit embarrassed to say what the actual rates are. .

I believe that I've been "resorting" to similar tactics as described in items 1 and 2 to help the understandably not too infallible system along.

I am still trying to decipher why you suggest that the use of the 2.0X TC makes for a more stable AF system.??!!

Appreciate your comments as always.

I'm curious and somewhat surprised that there are not many reports from FM users about this problem that the Advisory addresses. Surely, the advisory must have been a result of user reports. Unless perhaps these originated from Canon's own field testers and heavy-usage pros that don't frequent forums.

Db

Jun 24, 2013 at 03:20 PM
MDJAK
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1DX: Improved Performance after Service Update

Canon sent me the UPS tag to return my 1Dx. I was about to print it when I discovered my son used all my toner.

Jun 25, 2013 at 07:44 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.