Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Show me your worst! (Bad Lenses thread)

Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Show me your worst! (Bad Lenses thread)

Here's my worst: Nikon 24mm f/2 AIS. This lens was BADLY abused, and I knew it when I bought it for about $49. The lenses was partially rebuild by Nikon (at no charge!), replacing the front lens barrel and elements -- the front element was nearly as scraped up, with a few deeper gouges. Unfortunately, the rear element group was not available (screws out in its own sheathed assembly). Nikon polished the rear element slightly (it looked much worse before). Aperture is nearly clickless, but accurate. Focusing is super smooth, although the rubber grip is terribly worn. Accurate viewfinder focusing is a bit tricky, but LV is great.

I can't sell it for anything, so I keep it. It is a genuine f/2.0, after all!

What are the results? f/2 to 2.8 are soft, sort of dreamy flare. f/4 to 5.6 is the best range and pretty sharp, but with reduced contrast (as you would expect). Beyond f/5.6, things go downhill as the very center of the rear element concentrates the light going through it and its marks. The lens excels in certain situations, and it certainly can't be killed!

Amazing what you can get out of a lens with surface imperfections. Kinda puts things in perspective for minor scratches and dust specks.

Photo taken at f/2.8.

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:10 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.