Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Fuji X-M1 leak - no VF + new 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 and 27mm f/2.8 lenses

michael49
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Fuji X-M1 leak - no VF + new 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 and 27mm f/2.8 lenses

Jman13 wrote:
Camera looks very nice. Bad part? Fragmentation in the X line...that is, the new 16-50 and 27mm do NOT have aperture rings. I'm assuming this means that this function will be moved to the rear wheel or something on the X-E1 and X-Pro 1, but that is flippin' annoying. The best thing about the X cameras is the classic and simple control scheme, and now, if I want these lenses, I will have a different control scheme for these lenses than for all the other lenses. I really hope other future X lenses don't have missing aperture rings. I guess
...Show more

I agree with Jordan, this is disappointing. For me, one of the best aspects of the Fuji system is the ergonomics - and the aperture rings on the lenses is a big part of that. Its one thing that often causes me to use my X-E1 over my OM-D.I don't care so much about the 16-50 not having the aperture ring, but to not have it in the 27mm prime is a mistake.

Honestly, I don't know why Fuji even feels a need to compete in this lower end market - there is so much competition from Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, etc - this part of the market is so over-saturated with options and competition as it is, where Fuji really has an opportunity is with the enthusiast market and that's what they should be focusing their attention, in my view. I mean, how many non-enthusiasts even know that Fuji exists?

Edited on Jun 21, 2013 at 11:54 AM · View previous versions

Jun 21, 2013 at 11:12 AM
CVickery
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Fuji X-M1 leak - no VF + new 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 and 27mm f/2.8 lenses

I'll be a bit disappointed if there is no aperture ring on the 27, but it's not a deal breaker for me. I'll want to see more about how the lens performs though. The body....meh, no excitement.

Jun 21, 2013 at 11:22 AM
corposant
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Fuji X-M1 leak - no VF + new 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 and 27mm f/2.8 lenses

michael49 wrote:
Honestly, I don't know why Fuji even feels a need to compete in this lower end market - there is so much competition from Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, etc - this part of the market is so over-saturated with options as competition as it is, where Fuji really has an opportunity is with the enthusiast market and that's what they should be focusing their attention, in my view. I mean, how many non-enthusiasts even know that Fuji exists?

If you put this camera on display at Best Buy next to a NEX, many people who have no clue what "aperture" means and buy products based on aesthetics will pick the Fuji.

If they ever want to learn more about photography, they will already have bought into a system where Fuji can sell them advanced versions of their camera, plus lenses.

Seems rational to me - this camera is not meant to interest anybody who already has a XE/P1.

Jun 21, 2013 at 11:24 AM
corposant
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Fuji X-M1 leak - no VF + new 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 and 27mm f/2.8 lenses

corposant wrote:
Seems rational to me - this camera is not meant to interest anybody who already has a XE/P1.

Okay, the tilt screen is interesting, but that's about it!

Jun 21, 2013 at 11:26 AM
jonrock
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Fuji X-M1 leak - no VF + new 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 and 27mm f/2.8 lenses

michael49 wrote:
Honestly, I don't know why Fuji even feels a need to compete in this lower end market - there is so much competition from Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, etc - this part of the market is so over-saturated with options and competition as it is, where Fuji really has an opportunity is with the enthusiast market and that's what they should be focusing their attention, in my view. I mean, how many non-enthusiasts even know that Fuji exists?

If I had to take a guess, they probably want to expand their user base since their point and shoot cameras are being decimated by smartphones. I agree though that they should focus on enthusiasts.

Jun 21, 2013 at 12:00 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Fuji X-M1 leak - no VF + new 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 and 27mm f/2.8 lenses

corposant wrote:
If you put this camera on display at Best Buy next to a NEX, many people who have no clue what "aperture" means and buy products based on aesthetics will pick the Fuji.

If they ever want to learn more about photography, they will already have bought into a system where Fuji can sell them advanced versions of their camera, plus lenses.

I'm just not buying that argument. This price point its still high enough that I doubt that the average consumer at Best Buy is going to buy this over a name they know like Sony. Plus, I've seen some of the NEX's at my local best buy, but I've never seen a Fuji interchangeable lens camera there and I doubt that I will - there's just too much competition at this segment of the market for Fuji to ever make a meaningful dent in the likes of Sony, etc. Now, at the enthusiast level (X-E1, X-Pro1, X100) that's where Fuji can really stand to gain more market-share.

Jun 21, 2013 at 12:03 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Fuji X-M1 leak - no VF + new 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 and 27mm f/2.8 lenses

michael49 wrote:
I'm just not buying that argument. This price point its still high enough that I doubt that the average consumer at Best Buy is going to buy this over a name they know like Sony. Plus, I've seen some of the NEX's at my local best buy, but I've never seen a Fuji interchangeable lens camera there and I doubt that I will - there's just too much competition at this segment of the market for Fuji to ever make a meaningful dent in the likes of Sony, etc. Now, at the enthusiast level (X-E1, X-Pro1, X100) that's where Fuji
...Show more

No argument that Fuji will have higher margins on the more advanced cameras, but when the NEX 5R was released, it sold at a comparable price. Fuji also has some economies of scale on sensors. I think it's a great way to get more amateurs interested in the system.

For what it's worth, I showed a picture of the leaked camera alongside a NEX 5N to my girlfriend - she thought the Fuji "looked cooler." Sample size of one, but I think that's the target audience here.

Jun 21, 2013 at 01:19 PM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Fuji X-M1 leak - no VF + new 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 and 27mm f/2.8 lenses

Bayer please (is it known yet?)

It makes sense to have a cheaper entry point for people to enter into the system and upgrade to higher end model later.

Jun 21, 2013 at 01:22 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Fuji X-M1 leak - no VF + new 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 and 27mm f/2.8 lenses

For me X-E1 is too big for my mirrorless threshold, so it would be great to have a smaller body. Also I don't thing this is just for "entry-level". A number of advanced users here use cameras like NEX-5N which gives great IQ in a low cost package. Not every one wants to go for a $1000 body. I would rather save that money and use it on more lenses

Jun 21, 2013 at 01:41 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Fuji X-M1 leak - no VF + new 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 and 27mm f/2.8 lenses

curious80 wrote:
For me X-E1 is too big for my mirrorless threshold, so it would be great to have a smaller body. Also I don't thing this is just for "entry-level". A number of advanced users here use cameras like NEX-5N which gives great IQ in a low cost package. Not every one wants to go for a $1000 body. I would rather save that money and use it on more lenses

Its not the body that I necessarily have an issue with, but the new lenses without aperture rings is definitely a let down.

I used to own the 5N and overall liked it (esp with alt lenses) - but it was nice that there was an add-on EVF available, which I did use with it.

Jun 21, 2013 at 01:50 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Fuji X-M1 leak - no VF + new 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 and 27mm f/2.8 lenses

corposant wrote:

For what it's worth, I showed a picture of the leaked camera alongside a NEX 5N to my girlfriend - she thought the Fuji "looked cooler." Sample size of one, but I think that's the target audience here.

I don't doubt that - I love the look of my X-E1.

I just think that if "looks cool" is a primary factor in your camera decision your probably not very likely to purchase an interchangeable lens camera in the first place. The Fuji X20 looks very cool to me and makes much more sense for this crowd.

Jun 21, 2013 at 01:53 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Fuji X-M1 leak - no VF + new 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 and 27mm f/2.8 lenses

My main issue is with the 27mm lens. The loss of an aperture ring makes it totally unappealing to me. Fuji need to be careful not to compromise on the appealing aspects of their system when they attempt address a larger market. Losing the aperture ring is a major failure in that respect.

Jun 21, 2013 at 02:50 PM
umsl12
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Fuji X-M1 leak - no VF + new 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 and 27mm f/2.8 lenses

corposant wrote:

Since they have no clue, they still get " Sony" because of the name ;-)

Jun 21, 2013 at 03:01 PM
fatedquest

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Fuji X-M1 leak - no VF + new 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 and 27mm f/2.8 lenses

If it really doesn't have an aperture ring, I'll sell all my Fuji gear and switch to Canon. One lens might not make a big difference, but it certainly shows the line is going in a direction I don't like

Jun 21, 2013 at 03:21 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Fuji X-M1 leak - no VF + new 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 and 27mm f/2.8 lenses

#overreaction

Jun 21, 2013 at 03:24 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Fuji X-M1 leak - no VF + new 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 and 27mm f/2.8 lenses

Interesting. I assumed, since the lenses had aperture rings, the aperture was mechanically controlled. But looking at the mounts on the Pro and E1, that doesn't appear to be the case. So does the aperture wheel operate electronically? Can you stop down focus and meter or does the iris only close when you shoot?

Jun 21, 2013 at 03:50 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Fuji X-M1 leak - no VF + new 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 and 27mm f/2.8 lenses

fatedquest wrote:
If it really doesn't have an aperture ring, I'll sell all my Fuji gear and switch to Canon. One lens might not make a big difference, but it certainly shows the line is going in a direction I don't like

You're right...one lens doesn't make a big difference. Annoying, yes. I am sort of with you if their other future releases are the same way (the 10-24, 23/1.4 and 56/1.2)...though I highly doubt they will be. No need to leave a system because they are doing something a little different with the consumer grade stuff. Though, to be honest, one of the nice things I liked about the Fuji system is that it was ALL high end stuff...you didn't need to wade through the low end junk.

Jun 21, 2013 at 03:51 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Fuji X-M1 leak - no VF + new 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 and 27mm f/2.8 lenses

freaklikeme wrote:
Interesting. I assumed, since the lenses had aperture rings, the aperture was mechanically controlled. But looking at the mounts on the Pro and E1, that doesn't appear to be the case. So does the aperture wheel operate electronically? Can you stop down focus and meter or does the iris only close when you shoot?

It's all done by wire. No mechanical linkage.

Jun 21, 2013 at 04:20 PM
Qwerty64
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Fuji X-M1 leak - no VF + new 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 and 27mm f/2.8 lenses

A step backwards for Fuji - zero innovation and a 'me too' unforgettable body.

Jun 21, 2013 at 04:48 PM
najibs
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Fuji X-M1 leak - no VF + new 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 and 27mm f/2.8 lenses

Qwerty64 wrote:
A step backwards for Fuji - zero innovation and a 'me too' unforgettable body.

Why? I think this camera is perfect. I loved the image quality of the XE-1, but the camera was a bit big and too close to DSLR size. This, OTOH will be perfect with a Fuji prime.

Jun 21, 2013 at 09:25 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.