Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Elinchrom Rotalux deep Octa: 27.5" or 39"?

pjny
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Elinchrom Rotalux deep Octa: 27.5" or 39"?

Hi,

I just got a Profoto 600 Acute2 and trying to decide between Elinchrom 27.5 or 39"? I often have indoor
and sometimes outdoor portraits of 1-3 people with no assistants so I have to setup quickly and teardown quickly. I am often shooting in apartments and other confined spaces and would like to know if the 39" is too big.

Is the 39" that much bigger than the 27.5? Is it unweildy with the small acute2 head? BH Photo doesn't have any Rotaluxs on display so I was not sure which one to get. I would prefer smaller also because i sometimes work in small rooms and i don't want light scattered everywhere with bigger source.

I am also concerned about wind. I have 2 30 pound sandbags but do not want to have resort to bringing in my big C-stand as well. I usually use my Matthews kit stand with 24" softbox and that works well in many situations.

Thanks.

Jun 21, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Elinchrom Rotalux deep Octa: 27.5" or 39"?

If you are going to shoot up to 3 people you would want the 39. It won't take any longer to set up than the 27". And it will only take a little more room. A 30lb sandbag is plenty for this unless there really a lot wind and then you won't want shoot anyway. Also if you don't like the larger one you can sell it in a heart beat. The other modifier to consider as a one man show is the 41" Varistar. Very nice light and super easy to use. Then add a soft box later for indoor stuff.

Jun 21, 2013 at 02:03 AM
corposant
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Elinchrom Rotalux deep Octa: 27.5" or 39"?

I have the 39 DO and it's probably one of my favorite modifiers, especially because of it's versatility. There have been a couple times I wished I also had the 27.5, but if you want to shoot a group, you may not get enough light out of it.

I have not had a lot of luck shooting outdoors with it unless I have somebody holding onto my stand or it's heavily weighted down (or it's reasonably calm), but your experience may vary.

Hopefully Sheldon will respond to this thread - he has both and probably has more useful feedback than I do!

Jun 21, 2013 at 02:17 AM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.1 #4 · Elinchrom Rotalux deep Octa: 27.5" or 39"?

Here's a comparison pic showing both side by side. Note the Elinchrom Ranger and Quadra in there for reference. The Profoto pack is probably somewhere in between the two in terms of size.

I've used the smaller DO for large group shots, just pulled back to get sufficient coverage. It's not soft light for group shots, but it will do the trick if needed. For a single person or two, the 27.5 provides a nice contrasty yet not too hard light. Here's one of my faves from the 27.5" Deep Octa, I'm sure I've posted it before so apologies to those who have seen it already.

Jun 21, 2013 at 05:29 AM
pjny
• •
p.1 #5 · Elinchrom Rotalux deep Octa: 27.5" or 39"?

Thanks, Sheldon. One of the reasons I want a smaller Octa is because I also don't want light being thrown everywhere in smaller rooms. Does 39 throw light everywhere? I see there are grids for it but they are about $00-500.

Jun 21, 2013 at 05:37 AM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.1 #6 · Elinchrom Rotalux deep Octa: 27.5" or 39"?

Yes, those Lighttools grids are crazy expensive, though they are wonderfully made.

I'd say that both modifiers are pretty good at spill control when used with just the inner diffuser, with the edge going to the smaller DO just because of its size. If you put both diffusers on they will spill just like any flush face modifier.

You can see the falloff of the smaller DO in the above picture, that's not artificial vignetting. It was done with the inner diffuser only, with the modifier just above and out of frame.

Jun 21, 2013 at 05:47 AM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Elinchrom Rotalux deep Octa: 27.5" or 39"?

Pjny, based on your needs go with the smaller one. Also, why not go with an Octodome of some flavor from Chimera or Photoflex? I'm a Chimera fan, but Photoflex does have cheaper grids (although probably for a reason). As Sheldon states, the Lighttools grids are wonderful.

Jun 21, 2013 at 11:48 AM
pjny
• •
p.1 #8 · Elinchrom Rotalux deep Octa: 27.5" or 39"?

Thanks for all the replies. I went with the 39" and it's kind of bigger than I expected. I am in a small room testing it and the light kind of spills a little too much over the walls. I will probably have to get the grid. The instructions on the Octa were really bad. Took me quite a while to put it together. I was hoping I didn't break the rods or tear the material with the rods.

What combination(inner diffuser off, outer diffuser on/inner diffuser on, outer diff off/both off) do you use for different types of skin or subjects?

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.1 #9 · Elinchrom Rotalux deep Octa: 27.5" or 39"?

Congrats!

I will typically use inner diffuser only (outer off) for most subjects.

If you're having trouble assembling or expanding collapsing the Octa speedring, perhaps this video will help. Other folks have good success putting the modifier over their head, lampshade style to lock the rods into place.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/sheldonnalos/media/DeepOcta.mp4.html

Jun 22, 2013 at 02:51 AM
400d
• • •
p.1 #10 · Elinchrom Rotalux deep Octa: 27.5" or 39"?

pjny wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I went with the 39" and it's kind of bigger than I expected. I am in a small room testing it and the light kind of spills a little too much over the walls. I will probably have to get the grid. The instructions on the Octa were really bad. Took me quite a while to put it together. I was hoping I didn't break the rods or tear the material with the rods.

What combination(inner diffuser off, outer diffuser on/inner diffuser on, outer diff off/both off) do you use for different types of skin or
...Show more
Leave the octa setup for at least a few days, it will loosen up. I destroyed a DO when I first got one. As for the grid, it's very expensive from Lighttools but worth it.

Broncolor Pulso F4 + Elinchrom DO 39" with 40 grid

Jun 22, 2013 at 04:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

pjny
• •
p.1 #11 · Elinchrom Rotalux deep Octa: 27.5" or 39"?

That's a sweet pic. Did you use the 40 degree grid on that? I love the falloff too. I like how the light is soft as well as directional. That's what I'm looking for.

I just shot a couple of friends tonight with the DO and was not too happy with the results. It's also kind of tough adjusting to manual mode after using the Flex tt5 with Nikon strobes.

BTW, how do you gel your profoto strobe heads. I wanted to put a 1/4 CTO. Do you stick it on the baffle or on the dome?

400d wrote:
Leave the octa setup for at least a few days, it will loosen up. I destroyed a DO when I first got one. As for the grid, it's very expensive from Lighttools but worth it.

Broncolor Pulso F4 + Elinchrom DO 39" with 40 grid

http://bit.ly/11Trq9a

Jun 22, 2013 at 05:22 AM
miccullen
• • •
p.1 #12 · Elinchrom Rotalux deep Octa: 27.5" or 39"?

I've got both, and I'll echo what Sheldon said, pretty much.

However, I'm going to sell the big one (it's quite a lot bigger and uses a fair bit more space, IMHO, and I've hardly used it since getting the BDO), and just use the BDO and the MO (135cm) for bigger groups, as I find them a better pair of options.

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.1 #13 · Elinchrom Rotalux deep Octa: 27.5" or 39"?

Tape or clip the Gel to the inner diffuser. You might also want to get the Elinchrom Deflector Set. If you are going to shoot mostly with just the inner diffuser using the silver or white deflector works really nice. Or you can turn the Do into a big beauty dish with just the silver deflector.

Edited on Jun 23, 2013 at 02:42 AM · View previous versions

Jun 22, 2013 at 04:11 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Elinchrom Rotalux deep Octa: 27.5" or 39"?

pjny wrote:

What combination(inner diffuser off, outer diffuser on/inner diffuser on, outer diff off/both off) do you use for different types of skin or
...Show more

After some practice, it'll be like second nature.

I rarely use the outer diffuser. You can actually use the diffusion panel that comes with it (with a small rod) and it becomes a massive beauty dish.

I assume you have a light meter...?

Jun 22, 2013 at 07:23 PM
400d
• • •
p.1 #15 · Elinchrom Rotalux deep Octa: 27.5" or 39"?

Yes, it's the Lighttools 40 grid. Takes a few minutes to set everything up. I always think owning a softbox is only half part of the tool, grid is required to complete it. I like to have my light up high, so a pack/head or wireless power adjustment is awesome for shooting manual power output, although my Broncolor's wireless system is a little behind. When the output is too high, I put ND gel on my head, since my heads have glass dome, I cut a piece of gel, taped and inserted it right onto the dome. This doesn't work for modelling light though, the tape will melt.

pjny wrote:
Did you use the 40 degree grid on that? I love the falloff too. I like how the light is soft as well as directional. That's what I'm looking for.

I just shot a couple of friends tonight with the DO and was not too happy with the results. It's also kind of tough adjusting to manual mode after using the Flex tt5 with Nikon strobes.

BTW, how do you gel your profoto strobe heads. I wanted to put a 1/4 CTO. Do you stick it on the baffle or on the dome?

Jun 23, 2013 at 04:47 PM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.1 #16 · Elinchrom Rotalux deep Octa: 27.5" or 39"?

Just an FYI that you likely can't use the Elinchrom deflector set with the Profoto head, since it doesn't have the central hole for the rod.

Jun 23, 2013 at 07:58 PM
400d
• • •
p.1 #17 · Elinchrom Rotalux deep Octa: 27.5" or 39"?

FYI #2, if you have a drill bit, fishing wire and a few mini binder clips, you can use the deflector. Practically in any softbox. Here's someone else who did similar: http://bit.ly/19tPy7J

I used only 3 wires, feel free to use 4. I put gaffer tape inside the binder clips to give their inner surface a little more grip to the rods. The DO is mounted on a Pulso head with a generic speedring by the way.

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:26 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #18 · Elinchrom Rotalux deep Octa: 27.5" or 39"?

Sheldon N wrote:
Just an FYI that you likely can't use the Elinchrom deflector set with the Profoto head, since it doesn't have the central hole for the rod.

I use it with my Profotos all the time. It actually works better than on my Elinchroms since I have to take the glass dome off them in order to use it. The Profoto heads work without having to remove the glass dome.

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.1 #19 · Elinchrom Rotalux deep Octa: 27.5" or 39"?

Good point Sheldon forgot he has Profoto. Oops.

Jun 24, 2013 at 03:51 AM
Conner999
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Elinchrom Rotalux deep Octa: 27.5" or 39"?

As per tedwca - all Profoto Acute & Pro heads and the Compact monos have central holes for an umbrella/deflector rod, etc. Use them all the time. The D1s, however, do not. Like some monos, the hole is on top of the light, not adjacent to the tube and thus not accessible from inside a modifier.

Jun 24, 2013 at 09:28 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password