FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · LuLa - article (almost) about wide-angles and NEX

Mescalamba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LuLa - article (almost) about wide-angles and NEX

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/wa_nex.shtml

Agree, disagree? Feel free to share.

I think I saw quite a bit of nice pics even from "problematic" lens here.

Jun 20, 2013 at 05:10 PM
alwang
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LuLa - article (almost) about wide-angles and NEX

I'm pretty surprised he was unhappy with the corners on the Contax G28+NEX-5N. Yes, there's some very slight color shift, but I'd be surprised if the CV 25/4 had more resolution in the corners.

This was shot at ISO400 through a thick glass window, but if you click the fullsize link, the corners still look pretty great. To say nothing of the center.

stay strong, Boston by alwang, on Flickr

Jun 20, 2013 at 08:21 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LuLa - article (almost) about wide-angles and NEX

Yea as I said, I seen plenty of pics from these "problematic lens" and I know, there are people here which are post-processing gods, but even with that I think those lens are most likely not that much problematic..

But who knows.

Jun 20, 2013 at 09:19 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LuLa - article (almost) about wide-angles and NEX

Gaudy fake processing is all I see in Kettelmann's shots.
The fake tree reflectiions and cloud reflections in the Rock creek shot are way over done for my tastes. I have been to these places.

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:36 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LuLa - article (almost) about wide-angles and NEX

Possible he had a bad adapter.

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:41 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LuLa - article (almost) about wide-angles and NEX

intriguing, i thought the cv 25/4 was supposed to have pretty bad corner issues on the NEX-7. maybe just color shift with no smearing?

Jun 20, 2013 at 11:03 PM
glacierpete
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LuLa - article (almost) about wide-angles and NEX

I cannot recall having problems with a Contax G28 on my Nex5n.

When he mentions "Sometimes the 28mm Contax G Biogon does fine on a NEX-7", the closeup shot has problems, and the shot at infintiy did not, where the lens elements are in a different position. Seems like a predictable scenario.

For landscapes I would rather use a Sigma DP2M or DP1M, where lenses are optimized for the sensor. They dont cost more than a good lens.

Jun 20, 2013 at 11:39 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LuLa - article (almost) about wide-angles and NEX

glacierpete wrote:
I cannot recall having problems with a Contax G28 on my Nex5n.

When he mentions "Sometimes the 28mm Contax G Biogon does fine on a NEX-7", the closeup shot has problems, and the shot at infintiy did not, where the lens elements are in a different position. Seems like a predictable scenario.

For landscapes I would rather use a Sigma DP2M or DP1M, where lenses are optimized for the sensor. They dont cost more than a good lens.

with the g28 on a NEX-7 color shift is worst at infinity and nearly disappears at close focus. not sure what was going on with his shots.

Jun 21, 2013 at 12:12 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LuLa - article (almost) about wide-angles and NEX

The article seems to be centered on RF glass though he doesn't say so since there are no SLR lenses mentioned, and I don't see issues with SLR lenses wider than 35mm, at least nothing I can attribute to the 7's picky sensor.
The CV15 is quite useable on the 7 after cornerfixing the shots, but I find it too much of a hassle to do it, and I'm still not very happy with my profile, so mine sits till I get a new body to use it on.

I am quite happy with my Leica M Elmarit 28/2.8(2nd version) I only see some magenta in super white clouds on rare occasions, most of the time I have no issues, plus its very sharp wide open and has a nice smooth transition to the OOF background or foreground as the case may be, and it makes for a nice 42mm equiv lens.

The OM 21/3.5 work great on the 7, and its small enough to be included in RF lens comparisons, its the same size as my Elmarit 28, just a bit larger in diameter.

Jun 21, 2013 at 02:31 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LuLa - article (almost) about wide-angles and NEX

dSLR lens should work perfectly on NEX-7 as long as it doesnt have back element too close to sensor.

Color shift isnt much of issue, detail smearing is.

Jun 21, 2013 at 09:54 AM
lumis beans
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · LuLa - article (almost) about wide-angles and NEX

Too bad the Voigtlander 21 Ultron wasn't in the running.

Jun 21, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · LuLa - article (almost) about wide-angles and NEX

I generally like LuLa's articles, and I read them quite a lot, but I really wish they'd update their picture size for this decade. They are SO small and hypercompressed that it is literally impossible to tell ANYTHING about the gear they are talking about. This article is even odder, as the size is all over the place...some are good size, others are really small.

When I started my personal gallery site in 2004, I had 640 px wide images, because there were still a fair number of people using 800x600 monitors (though I was using 1280 at that point). However, now almost EVERYONE is using at least a 1280px wide monitor, with most at 1650-1920....a 700px wide image just doesn't cut it anymore (I now use 1200 wide, 900 tall).

Edited on Jun 21, 2013 at 12:43 PM · View previous versions

Jun 21, 2013 at 12:04 PM
mirkoc
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · LuLa - article (almost) about wide-angles and NEX

I liked them before but I get increasingly annoyed by subliminal marketing. Also from bazillion of their ads for videos on the 'what's new' page. Kind of bored of quasi subjective style with often thin content too. They don't have the exclusivity for all of that, I admit.

Jun 21, 2013 at 12:40 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.