Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Nikon D300s upgrade or What!

Kell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Nikon D300s upgrade or What!

just get a D700..it's a 'Hall of Famer'

Jun 21, 2013 at 02:48 PM
Maki65

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Nikon D300s upgrade or What!

jasoncallen wrote:
The D700 long in the tooth? D700 is alright?! Oh, how the mighty have fallen!

You will see a marked improvement in image quality by using good, fast glass on a D700 vs an 18-200 on the D300s. With fast glass and a D700, you will be able to shoot at faster shutter speeds, and in lower light. The D700 will give you better dynamic range, too.

I've made 16x20", 24x20", and 20x30" enlargements from 6, 10, and 12 megapixel shots from a D40, D200, and D90/D300/D700... if you can't get a good 20x30" print from those cameras, the problem isn't
...Show more

In many ways the D300s is spot on, I think that fact that I came from film cameras originally and I miss the lens just being 'right' instead of cropped. That said, however, I have thought that the 12-24mm on the D300s might give me what I used to have 18-35mm, which I enjoyed more than any other lens.

Thinking about it, landscapes are the thing my wife and I enjoy the most and photographing our beautiful daughter next, for that I like the 50mm 1.8d.

Jun 21, 2013 at 03:04 PM
frankpetronio
• •
p.2 #3 · Nikon D300s upgrade or What!

I will say this: unless you're printing billboards, the D800's resolution will be lost on you

Take it from someone who actually was in the business, for the last generation billboards have been inkjet printed onto vinyl and the resolution is about 14 dots per inch.

In other words, the resolution needed for a full bleed 14x44 foot large standard billboard is about the same as what you'd use for an 8x10 print. The first generation DSLRs were more than sufficient.

Baring the rare single full bleed image litho printed for an XL poster or packaging... there are very few commercial applications for higher resolution images, other than bragging rights and to impress the clients. The most demanding applications are left to documenting artwork and producing larger (>30x40) ink jets for the fine art market. Most commercial work was more than satisfactory done by older D2-generation cameras.

Maybe you would see a difference between a D300 and D800 in noise and sharpness in a moderate quality display print under 16x20 but you should also admit that achieving perfect noise-free images is secondary to making "good" photos. Many, if not most, of the most famous, emotive and powerful images were created with less than stellar gear and oftentimes the grain or noise actually enhances them.

Get a couple of good primes for the D300 and start there!

Jun 21, 2013 at 03:19 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.2 #4 · Nikon D300s upgrade or What!

I hate to say it, but ACR in PS CS6 was what is extending the life of my D300. The prior versions of CS and even Nikon's NX2 did little to quell the noise. The noise control lets me push the iso so 3200 is quite useable.

As many of us, I'm holding out for that 24 mp D400 that has D3s dynamic range....

The rumors from Canon of a D7 replacement make me hopeful that Nikon will respond in kind (someday). Hey, in the last few months I upgraded 2 of my DX lenses....

Jun 21, 2013 at 03:26 PM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.2 #5 · Nikon D300s upgrade or What!

Owned a D700, then tried a switch to mirrorless (OM-D, XE-1). Missed the DOF and dynamic range of FX and started looking at the D800. I soon realized that I would have to upgrade my computer or deal with slower post process workflow. Ended up buying another D700 and couldn't be happier. Unless I stumble upon a free D800 and screamin' computer, my D700 and three year old Macbook Pro will last me quite a while.

Jun 22, 2013 at 03:55 AM
Christian S
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Nikon D300s upgrade or What!

I agree the D700 is one of Nikons all time best performers especially @ its current used price pint. I'm after my wife's Boss's D700 (has no clue how to use it). Should be soon. It has under 5,000 clicks I'm sure, $1,300. Trenchmonkey
you crack me up.

Jun 22, 2013 at 04:13 AM
Maki65

p.2 #7 · Nikon D300s upgrade or What!

The D700 is looking good as I think I can do without video as we have hardly used it on the D300s

Jun 22, 2013 at 08:27 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · Nikon D300s upgrade or What!

Kell wrote:
just get a D700..it's a 'Hall of Famer'

Hall of Framer
It'll turn your previous DX world...upside down

NIKON D700    35mm    f/8.0    1/1600s    200 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM
davidnholtjr
• • •
p.2 #9 · Nikon D300s upgrade or What!

Maki65 wrote:
I am beginning to think a little more time spent on learning to get better is better than spending on newer gear.

It seems to me the D300s still takes great images ( why wouldn't it!) in 2013. After all, I bet most people could not tell in a blind test what image came out of which camera.

There you go. The D300s is still a great camera. I love mine still.

If you still want FX I'd go for the D700. Even though it's 5 years old it's still and awesome camera. I'll keep mine till it stops working.

Jun 22, 2013 at 08:38 PM
JTMeuret
• •
p.2 #10 · Nikon D300s upgrade or What!

I continue to stick to my D80/D70s combo.

Be jealous.

Jun 23, 2013 at 04:34 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kcartwright27

p.2 #11 · Nikon D300s upgrade or What!

frankpetronio wrote:
Take it from someone who actually was in the business, for the last generation billboards have been inkjet printed onto vinyl and the resolution is about 14 dots per inch.

In other words, the resolution needed for a full bleed 14x44 foot large standard billboard is about the same as what you'd use for an 8x10 print. The first generation DSLRs were more than sufficient.

Baring the rare single full bleed image litho printed for an XL poster or packaging... there are very few commercial applications for higher resolution images, other than bragging rights and to impress the clients. The
...Show more

this is my advice as well.. I would start with getting a couple of good primes.. maybe the 85mm 1.8g and and the siggy 35mm 1.4 I went this route and it has changed my photography in a huge way. I love shooting with primes almost 80% of the time now. You can also potentially add a few older AIS manual lenses that you will really enjoy.. I have a 105mm 2.5, 24mm 2.8 ais and a 55mm 2.8 micro that produce beautiful files.. and this was with my d7000.. I was in the same shoes and wanting a FX body so i did the comparisons.. looked at my style.. and ended up going with a D700.. Could i have afforded a d800.. or even a d4 yes.. however the D700 is amazing and has a totally different look to the files that a DX camera and i got a good deal on one.. does everything i want it to and more.. I wanted to spend the time and energy improving my skill rather than spending an extra 2-4k on a body.

Spend some time with a few pieces of new glass and feel the joy of primes. then grab a low mileage D700 and have some fun.. If you like your d300 ... you will love a D700

Jun 23, 2013 at 02:58 PM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.2 #12 · Nikon D300s upgrade or What!

Spend money now on lenses and money later on a D400.

Sigma's got a new 18-35/1.8 coming out not to mention a new 30/1.4 for DX bodies. You could always go for FX lenses when you want to go longer. Just my 2 cents.

If FX is a must then I would get a D800/e unless budget is important. Then I would personally go for a refurb D600 but I would use the video features. A D700 is great if video is not important but a D600 has an edge in high ISO and DR. The extra boost in DR will help with your landscape shots.

Jun 23, 2013 at 06:17 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.2 #13 · Nikon D300s upgrade or What!

For what it is worth even the D800 feels like a toy unless you add a grip.

Jun 23, 2013 at 06:25 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · Nikon D300s upgrade or What!

trenchmonkey wrote:
Hall of Framer
It'll turn your previous DX world...upside down

Hitting the upsidaisium again, TM?

Jun 23, 2013 at 08:50 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #15 · Nikon D300s upgrade or What!

D700 or D3(s?) is good option I think. D700 is pretty much like D300, same mpix, but bigger sensor and OVF too. I would most likely try D3 over D700 (sorta like having slightly better OVF and 100% accuracy). That said, D700 is fine thing and one of best performance/price ratio FF cameras today (even on SH market).

Nice thing about D3 and D700 they are "balanced", they do pretty much everything good. And no hidden fails waiting to happen, no "broken from factory" problems. Thats kinda lacking in today Nikon. Except D4 (if Im correct).

Jun 23, 2013 at 09:01 PM
afm901
• •
p.2 #16 · Nikon D300s upgrade or What!

Mark_L wrote:
For what it is worth even the D800 feels like a toy unless you add a grip.

Please......

Scott

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:30 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.2 #17 · Nikon D300s upgrade or What!

You should see a huge improvement going from a D300 to D700.
Especially if you shoot wide.
My D3 sure blew it away for me.
Using better (FX) glass will be a large part of that improvement.

As for the D800 that I prefer to either, it is better, but
the main improvements for me came because
I was forced to use better hand held techniques
and to pay attention to other details.
More resolution shows user error mo beta.

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:34 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.2 #18 · Nikon D300s upgrade or What!

I have to agree with Will. I love my D-700's - 20x30 prints on a regular basis and they are lovely especially on metallic.

Check the reviews on Amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/camera-photo/dp/B001BTCSI6

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:46 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #19 · Nikon D300s upgrade or What!

The D300s rewards fast glass very well, too...

My D300s delivers fine images with my 18-200, but when I slap on my Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 or the 85 f/1.8, it is a great platform.

For me, the D700 is very possibly my next camera - handles like the D300s, uses the same accessories, reasonable file size and with a stop and a half better ISO.

Honestly, the viewfinder experience of FX doesn't draw me that much, but I've been on DX for a long time.

Frankly, the lack of a D400 has been a big benefit for me. I've got a really nice kit of glass from funds that might well have been spent on a new body. I'm extremely happy with my D300s right now. If/when a D400 appears, I won't buy one right away, and it will have to be pretty dang special to get consideration later. Glass rocks!

Jun 24, 2013 at 03:22 PM
Maki65

p.2 #20 · Nikon D300s upgrade or What!

I Have to say it is tempting to get better glass and stick with the D300s, it still only has 10,000 clicks.

I suppose the question is if I get the D700 will I see a great image improvement, looking at this http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d700/sharpness-comparison.htm, it suggests there is little or none. However, I don't really buy that as what is the point of making three cameras for them to all be the same?

I have found a D700 with 1600 clicks and having talked to the vendor, he assures me it is as new and this is up for 1299. I still have a niggle about it being an older camera, though that should not matter and as a few have pointed out, the build quality is great better even than the newer models.

The other option is FX glass on my D300s for now and wait and see what Nikon do next. For instance, how would a 18-35 mm, 24-85 mm and 70 -300mm all compare in respect to just sticking with the 18-200mm for image quality?

I am enjoying all the advice you guys are giving, it is by far the best camera forum I have used, no bitching or back biting; long may it continue.

Jun 24, 2013 at 06:17 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password