Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7              12       13       end

Sony/Minolta A Mount Picture Thread (Pt.2)

ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · Sony/Minolta A Mount Picture Thread (Pt.2)

Some beautiful tones and hues in there.

Nov 09, 2013 at 07:02 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.6 #2 · Sony/Minolta A Mount Picture Thread (Pt.2)

In Oct I was presented with fireworks at a wedding... photographing fireworks has never interested me on a personal level, so never tried it... so reasonably happy with the results, but the change of location didn't help on the day (quite "closed in", even at 16mm). The main problem was because of the location, towards the end, part of the view was just whited out from the smoke of the fireworks. So I could either get the fireworks + atmosphere + whited out smoke, or not clip the smoke + get no atmosphere + get hardly any firework at all. Yeah I'm full of complaints.

This was an earlier one.

Nov 09, 2013 at 07:05 PM
Sean Mills
• • •
p.6 #3 · Sony/Minolta A Mount Picture Thread (Pt.2)

Just picked up an a99 from a fellow FMer. Haven't had a Sony since I sold my a900 a couple years back, Forgot how much I liked the feel and colors of Sony files. Currently no glass, except the 50 1.4 a friend has loaned me, but I have some stuff on order

So, since I just got it and am getting used to the body again, and trying to train myself to go back and forth from it to my D800, I stuck with the tried and true internet staple, cat pics

A99 + Sony 50 1.4 @ 1.6/1.7

Nov 10, 2013 at 04:00 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #4 · Sony/Minolta A Mount Picture Thread (Pt.2)

Theoretical Question:If Sony approached you and would offer to borrow one A-Mount lens, to test it on your Sony A7, which one would you take?

Nov 10, 2013 at 10:28 PM
alwang
• • •
p.6 #5 · Sony/Minolta A Mount Picture Thread (Pt.2)

Phillip Reeve wrote:
Theoretical Question:If Sony approached you and would offer to borrow one A-Mount lens, to test it on your Sony A7, which one would you take?

If it was to test (not to keep), I'd try either the Zeiss 24/2 or the new Zeiss 50/1.4. The 24 to see whether the resolution hold up across the frame for landscape, the 50 to see how it compares to the FE 50/1.8.

Nov 10, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • •
p.6 #6 · Sony/Minolta A Mount Picture Thread (Pt.2)

alwang wrote:
If it was to test (not to keep), I'd try either the Zeiss 24/2 or the new Zeiss 50/1.4. The 24 to see whether the resolution hold up across the frame for landscape, the 50 to see how it compares to the FE 50/1.8.

I think that wouldn't end well for the 50/1.4^^.
I would say I would like to take some nice images with them, so it is not for testing purposes only.
I was also thinking about the 135/1.8 and 16-35/2.8. Both are huge beasts but the 135 is a really exceptional lens and the 16-35 would fill a gap only covered by a 30€ Sigma 24/2.8.
But the 24/2 ist pretty high on my wishlist as well.

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:03 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.6 #7 · Sony/Minolta A Mount Picture Thread (Pt.2)

the 135/1.8 seems like the most interesting (and best performing) lens. not exactly my favorite focal length though. the 24/2 would be next up for me – the 16-35/2.8 is just ridiculously large and, by all accounts, somewhat disappointing performance wise.

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:31 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.6 #8 · Sony/Minolta A Mount Picture Thread (Pt.2)

+1

As far as I understand, the 16-35 has dramatic field curvature anywhere near wide open, so that sharp corners is not realistic until stopped well down. Not ideal for many situations.

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:50 PM
paulesko
• •
p.6 #9 · Sony/Minolta A Mount Picture Thread (Pt.2)

+1 I use a lot my 16-35 and is kind of a funny lens because yo never know what kind of sharpness you´re going to get. Slightly unreliable AF with field curvature is my guess for that differences in sharpness I see in my photos.

If you want a "cheap" winner, the minolta 200 2.8 works really well, here´s a pic for a winter wedding promotion.

A 850 and minolta 200 2.8 wide open.

DSC07852 by Pablo Ausucua, on Flickr

Nov 11, 2013 at 08:56 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.6 #10 · Sony/Minolta A Mount Picture Thread (Pt.2)

I have no issues with the detail rendering of the 16-35. But when you set yourself such low standards its easy to not be disappointed . Joking aside, I've had some quite large prints from it and I'm happy with it. The only real issue I have is the flare/glare control... It can often produce an evil blue-blow, mostly if indoor with a bright area (eg window) in the frame.

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.6 #11 · Sony/Minolta A Mount Picture Thread (Pt.2)

I'd go with the 24/2 because I've never used it and I'm mildly curious. But if I hadn't used any Sony Alpha lenses, I'd go with the 135 STF and a set a tubes. It's one of the few truly unique lenses Sony produces.

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.6 #12 · Sony/Minolta A Mount Picture Thread (Pt.2)

Not particulary amazing pic, but its 12th of November, which is very late autumn and to pick any edible mushroom is quite unusual. Well obviously without species that grow during winter too, but these are not that kind. I guess its cause weather was quite warm-ish lately.

Nov 12, 2013 at 06:16 PM
Sean Mills
• • •
p.6 #13 · Sony/Minolta A Mount Picture Thread (Pt.2)

A99 + ZA 50 1.4 wide open.

I rather like the lens. I would say it's equally under and overrated.
Overrated, and heavily by Sony. It's certainly worth a premium over the SAL. Nowhere near the asking price however. But I knew it was ridiculously overpriced when I bought it. C'est la vie.

Underrated by, well, quite a few. It's quite sharp wide open, CA is there, but not intrusive, and it cleans up very easily. It's sharp into the corners stopped down (actually pretty sharp in the corners opened up too). The build is impeccable and the AF is the snappiest I've had on a 50. I'm sure it's no Otus, but it's my favorite 50 that I have owned so far. It's also the most overpriced, what are you going to do? You only live once.

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:40 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.6 #14 · Sony/Minolta A Mount Picture Thread (Pt.2)

looks very nice.

Nov 16, 2013 at 01:54 AM
hiepphotog
• • •
p.6 #15 · Sony/Minolta A Mount Picture Thread (Pt.2)

Sean, nice bokeh shots. I wonder why people think it has edgy bokeh. It definitely has smoother bokeh than my 55

Cross post from the Pano thread:

While showing a friend the observatory, I snapped a few shots:

Sony A99 + Zeiss 28/2 (2 shots from two different angles to extend it a bit)

Sony A99 + Contax 55/1.2 (4 shots, didn't have my IBIS on so I am lucky that they're sharp enough).

Nov 17, 2013 at 04:38 PM
xbarcelo
• • •
p.6 #16 · Sony/Minolta A Mount Picture Thread (Pt.2)

hiepphotog, I really like your second one!

Here are some from some time ago, reedited:

Sigma 17-70 2,8-4 + Sony A100

Sony 70-300G + Sony A700

Sigma 17-70 2,8-4 + Sony A700

Nov 17, 2013 at 05:15 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.6 #17 · Sony/Minolta A Mount Picture Thread (Pt.2)

a900 + 58/1.2

Nov 23, 2013 at 05:34 PM
CheechzeppLn
• •
p.6 #18 · Sony/Minolta A Mount Picture Thread (Pt.2)

Hello everyone, Never too late to hop in on a thread I hope. My name is Charlie and I have been shooting them Sony's since 2007. Usually I hang out in the Landscape forum as that is generally the majority of the kind of photos I process. I currently have 3 of them in my arsenal, the a100,700 & 900. I try and use them all as I hate to neglect cameras. Today I will give you shots from each. Hope you enjoy the set.

Charlie

Crater Lake with Pumice Castle by Lightbox Images by Charles Romano, on Flickr

Just Hanging Around by Lightbox Images by Charles Romano, on Flickr

Snow Cone by Lightbox Images by Charles Romano, on Flickr

Nov 23, 2013 at 09:17 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • •
p.6 #19 · Sony/Minolta A Mount Picture Thread (Pt.2)

sebboh wrote:
the 135/1.8 seems like the most interesting (and best performing) lens. not exactly my favorite focal length though. the 24/2 would be next up for me – the 16-35/2.8 is just ridiculously large and, by all accounts, somewhat disappointing performance wise.

Hehe, I think they will send me the 135, 24 and 70-400 next week. I asked for FE lenses and one a month but those are fine as well
I think I'm gonna need a bigger bag

Nov 28, 2013 at 01:49 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.6 #20 · Sony/Minolta A Mount Picture Thread (Pt.2)

I think this is the 85. The 135mm would be nuts.

Nov 28, 2013 at 09:18 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password