Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Slave Canon speedlite to Profoto Air system?

Texterella

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Slave Canon speedlite to Profoto Air system?

Has anyone had experience with triggering Canon speedlites to slave to Profoto Monolights using the Profoto Air system?

I've already got the Air system for the Profoto Monolights - so I don't really want to invest in a separate wireless trigger system.

One post I found seems to indicate that it's possible to stack wireless triggers - a a Pocket Wizard Mini in the camera shoe mount, the Air Remote in the mount on the mini, and turn them on in a specific order:

http://hdhd411.com/?p=212

Wondering whether anyone has any experience with this kind of franken-triggery? Or if there's an obvious alternate solution?

Thanks.

Jun 20, 2013 at 01:26 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Slave Canon speedlite to Profoto Air system?

Use optical slave?

Jun 20, 2013 at 02:12 PM
Texterella

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Slave Canon speedlite to Profoto Air system?

Do you mean set the speedlite to "slave" mode? I've tried that - doesn't appear to work, though.

Jun 20, 2013 at 02:20 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Slave Canon speedlite to Profoto Air system?

Texterella wrote:
Do you mean set the speedlite to "slave" mode? I've tried that - doesn't appear to work, though.

No, that won't work because the Speedlite needs to see the Canon-proprietary coded optical signals.

One way to do it optically would be to set the Canon Speedlite(s) to Manual mode and set the power level on the Speedlites themselves, then trigger them with Canon-compatible optical triggers. (Most aren't Canon compatible, but Flash Zebra sells some Sonia-brand ones that are.)

If you're using a newer Speedlite it may have a PC socket that you would connect the trigger to. For Speedlites that don't have a PC socket you'd need to connect the trigger to a hot shoe adapter and then mount the Speedlite on that.

The Speedlite(s) would then fire when it/they see(s) the flash from the Profoto strobe(s).

Jun 20, 2013 at 07:01 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.