Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · in a Maasai classroom

sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · in a Maasai classroom

low light candid
yeah, I know it would have been better less centered, but too late now
other suggestions, reactions?
Scott

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    96mm    f/5.6    1/90s    25600 ISO    +0.5 EV  

Jun 20, 2013 at 06:07 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · in a Maasai classroom

A haunting image - I am lost in the student's look and expression, wondering what that world must be like. The photography is secondary.

Bob

Jun 20, 2013 at 11:29 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #3 · in a Maasai classroom

Better?

Jun 21, 2013 at 12:57 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · in a Maasai classroom

First time I've ever worked on such a high ISO file. It looks like there are a lot of different localized color casts being picked up from the environmental colors.

Took a stab at raising exposure, but really didn't do too much with casts, except maybe try to tone them down a bit in the subject. Really tough to know how to go with this one. Not sure if the middle boy is ill, or or lighting/wb that makes him look so different from the other two. His facial tone(s) and lip color in particular strike me @

Jun 21, 2013 at 02:16 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · in a Maasai classroom

I like Bob's crop.

I'm wondering. The running visual theme through the Maasai series seems to be centered subjects. Was that intentional - to establish a visual meme for continuity for the series?

Jun 21, 2013 at 03:05 AM
odnanref

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · in a Maasai classroom

Just the boy in the center alone I think would be great. The isolation would greatly enhance the image.

Jun 21, 2013 at 05:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Almass
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · in a Maasai classroom

Another alternative.

Jun 21, 2013 at 11:34 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · in a Maasai classroom

Thanks guys.
The color issues are certainly complicated and moving to BW helps in that way.
I like the extra contrast, Jim.

Centering? Me? An unconscious and repetitive flaw in my people images. And a concious move toward symmetry in many other comps. Here I was again trying to provide context, crop out some of the distracting background colors and people.

He is captivating to me and I guess others. He appeared to have his skin dusted with a white powder....that the other kids did not. And the eyes, the expression...I had to take this shot.

Jun 21, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #9 · in a Maasai classroom

I don't mind the centering at all. Centering every shot is the sign of a beginner who has no idea how to compose an image so that is a habit we all break. That said, centering works for a lot of images. I think this one works well and leaves no doubt about the center of interest. I don't have any problem with the WB or colors. For the original version, my main complaint would be the very bright window which needs to be burned down. I did a quick and not very skillful job but that would be my primary issue to fix. I don't see any reason to crop. This is more of a story than a portrait of one individual.

Jun 21, 2013 at 03:39 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · in a Maasai classroom

+1 @ the wider fov helps with the school/classroom setting vibe vs. a portrait.

@ the white powder ... backstory @ significance?

As to "centering" the image too often. I find myself doing that when I'm in a "fast paced" or anxious/excited state of mind. Once I realize I'm in "that" mode and am defaulting to center on "auto-pilot", I do one of two things.

A) I ask myself, are these croppable such that I'll be able to de-center in post. If so, no sweat, center away @ "get the shot" @ safety shot.

B) If they don't lend themselves for pp latitude @ crop to decenter. I'll consider changing my AF point to one of the non-centered points. I usually choose the nearest one (or two combined) to center that is above/right of center which allows me to be off-center @ both landscape/portrait orientation.

Then ... I resume "auto-pilot" mode at capture the moment, get the shot, safety shot, etc.

Jun 21, 2013 at 04:04 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · in a Maasai classroom

The white powder backstory:

Didnt know what this was about until I spoke with a colleague who has been to Africa many times. Kids often get powdered after being bathed. I thought maybe he was ill or it was some ceremonial makeup (despite the western fleece jacket). When my (white) colleague visited Africa one time, kids tried to wipe off the "powder". To no effect.

Scott

Sep 04, 2013 at 01:10 PM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #12 · in a Maasai classroom

Like the image and Bob's crop. The second student helps to tell the story. I also would prefer to have the subject less centered but works as posted.

Sep 04, 2013 at 04:06 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password