New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Which gear to take to St. Barths? Sony v. Sigma v. Fuji

petermendelson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which gear to take to St. Barths? Sony v. Sigma v. Fuji

I am heading off soon to St. Barths for a vacation with my wife and keep going back and forth on what gear to bring. I am definitely taking the Sony Rx100 for snaps and the zoom range, as well as the RX1 for low-light shooting and file quality. I could leave it at that, which would simplify things (same batteries, similar menus, etc. and I would not have to decide what camera(s) to carry around).

Or, I can bring the Sigma DP3 Merrill in addition to add a telephoto option (75mm) with amazing file quality.

Or, I can bring the Fuji X-Pro1 and 55-200mm in addition to add a telephoto zoom option with very good file quality.

Part of me just wants to keep it simple with the RX1/RX100 combo so I can just relax and not deal with camera choices and dealing with different camera systems, menus and batteries, but at the same time I think I may kick myself for not bringing the Sigma or Fuji along as well to have more telephoto options.

Any thoughts are appreciated, especially if you have been to St. Barths!

Thanks,

Peter

Jun 20, 2013 at 06:48 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which gear to take to St. Barths? Sony v. Sigma v. Fuji

Sounds like a place you go to relax, I would just bring one of the RX's.

Jun 20, 2013 at 07:05 AM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which gear to take to St. Barths? Sony v. Sigma v. Fuji

I've been there once, on a daytrip from St. Maartin. It happened to be during a Halloween parade of all times. I love that place, can't wait to go back someday for a more extended stay.

In your shoes I'd bring the RX-100 for daytime use, and the RX-1 for evenings. I'd be there to relax primarily. I've not seen the need personally for telephotos when vacationing in the Carribean.

Jun 20, 2013 at 09:12 AM
P.F.
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which gear to take to St. Barths? Sony v. Sigma v. Fuji

I would take only the RX1...

Jun 20, 2013 at 09:20 AM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which gear to take to St. Barths? Sony v. Sigma v. Fuji

I would only bring one camera, the smaller the better. Any of the cameras you listed is more than enough to capture the only real important part of the trip, which is the time you'll spend with your wife.

My wife and I are going on a cruise to the Caribbean in a month. I'm still saving up so I can buy a camera that I'll use not only for that trip, but as my go everywhere camera from now on. It's either going to be the x100, x100s, or x20. Whatever it is, it's the only camera I'll bring on the trip. All the DSLR gear...the D700s, primes, crop body, etc is staying home. I know this is a gear forum, but as long as I have fingers to type, I'll keep emphasizing that the memories are what are important, not the gear. The fewer lenses and bodies you have, the better.

Jun 20, 2013 at 09:59 AM
jonrock
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which gear to take to St. Barths? Sony v. Sigma v. Fuji

I would just keep it relatively simple with just the RX-1 and the RX-100 if you're just going to relax.

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:04 AM
corposant
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which gear to take to St. Barths? Sony v. Sigma v. Fuji

jonrock wrote:
I would just keep it relatively simple with just the RX-1 and the RX-100 if you're just going to relax.

+1

I was there 4 years ago - there's basically beaches and awesome French colonial buildings. I think you'll be fine with the RXs.

Jun 20, 2013 at 12:22 PM
petermendelson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which gear to take to St. Barths? Sony v. Sigma v. Fuji

Thanks for the feedback - makes sense to me.

Peter

Jun 20, 2013 at 12:30 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.