Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Limited Edition Leica D-Lux 6 $1300!!

Bijltje
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Limited Edition Leica D-Lux 6 $1300!!

goosemang wrote:
or put another way:

i own an M6, and if i were fond enough of rangefinder shooting (which i'm not at this point) i would seriously consider getting a digital M. i could live with like a 28 and 50mm, or even just a 35. i love the function of the M6 - i think it's great for the particular approach to shooting that it affords.

however when i see things like this it makes me question whether or not i'd want to buy a digital M even if i decided it was worth it for me. on one hand i *assume*
...Show more

I don't really see the problem. In my opinion these limited edition camera's are great for leica to make some extra cash. Its their way to fund the development of the new M240 or 35 lux. Why should it be a problem?
Also, there is a dealer here in the Netherlands having lots of these limited editions on stock, and seeing them in real life, they look really awesome.

http://www.fotohennyhoogeveen.eu/nl/merken/leica/leica_specials

http://www.fotohennyhoogeveen.eu/nl/merken/leica/sold_items

If there are people out there willing to buy these expensive camera's funding leica's development for new lenses (14mm SEM please leica!!!!), why care?

Jun 20, 2013 at 03:33 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Limited Edition Leica D-Lux 6 $1300!!

Bijltje wrote:
http://www.fotohennyhoogeveen.eu/nl/merken/leica/sold_items

That Leica bear is most awesome!

Jun 20, 2013 at 03:36 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Limited Edition Leica D-Lux 6 $1300!!

goosemang wrote:
but jeez, the thought of buying further into a brand that works to hard to be a status symbol is really off-putting.

I don't see how using co-branding to get your product out to a potentially receptive audience is any different than getting a celebrity to hawk your wares in print and television ads. Ashton Kutchner isn't there to sell you a specific camera, after all. He's there to sell you on Nikon as a brand. Canon didn't get world-famous tennis players to stump for them in the 80s and 90s because they were all dedicated Rebel shooters, they did it because they wanted their brand associated with a popular worldwide sport. And Leica isn't alone in doing co-branded special editions. Nikon and Canon have done them as well.

It's just calculated, manipulative marketing at its best or worst, depending on your perspective, and given that Leica is one of the few camera manufacturers turning a profit, I'd say it's working. But I don't think you can say they're actively trying to create a status symbol, which is difficult to create in a marketing campaign since it's dependent on the consumer, their immediate society, and the shifting regionalized sociological and socioeconomic variables that govern their behavior, but rather targeting their expensive product at a group of consumers who is likely to buy.

Jun 20, 2013 at 04:44 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Limited Edition Leica D-Lux 6 $1300!!

goosemang wrote:
i'm not angry. i'm just commenting on how stuff like this makes me feel as a consumer

Yea, its quite apparent that you are consumer not customer.

Jun 20, 2013 at 05:18 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Limited Edition Leica D-Lux 6 $1300!!

Mescalamba wrote:
Yea, its quite apparent that you are consumer not customer.

right. I am the end user, the consumer. since I pay for my own gear I am also the customer.

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:15 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Limited Edition Leica D-Lux 6 $1300!!

freaklikeme wrote:
It's just calculated, manipulative marketing at its best or worst, depending on your perspective, .

bingo. what I wrote is my perspective.

I also wrote that I understand that a business needs to generate revenue, and I don't disagree with your comments regarding the intent of other manufacturers' various campaigns. despite this understanding this still doesn't change the impression the company is making on me.

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:20 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Limited Edition Leica D-Lux 6 $1300!!

freaklikeme wrote:
G-STAR RAW is a hipster jeans manufacturer, but yeah, it's the same camera in the way that the Hermes edition M9 is functionally no different than a standard M9.

Thanks Freak,

So Leica took a P&S (with what is undoubtedly a very nice lens) named it for a pair of jeans and now charge $500 more? Great scam! Is anybody buying them or more to the point who would care enough to buy such a camera? I guess I really am disconnected from consumer reality. The name on a thing doesn't make it work, it's the quality of the thing's creation/function that is important. But then I have an acquaintance who paid an extra $2500 for Ford F-150 pickup because it said "Harley-Davidson Edition" on the side. I looked at it. Same motor, same transmission, even the windows went up and down the same way. Confused me.

OTOH I do have a signed limited edition, purple and red Canikon I can let you have for only $9,999. You'll be one of only 10 people on earth to own one. (Unless I can find another source for old parts to put them together

As Mork the alien on the old Mork and Mindy TV show use to say, "Human are so interesting to watch."

Robert

Jun 21, 2013 at 05:52 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.