New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lens fungus

felixj

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens fungus

Hi

Just picked up a used Zuiko 50mm lens.

Can anyone tell me if this is fungus? Despite the dramatic photo, I can only see if when viewing from rear element at an angle which isn't directly 90 degrees to the lens. If viewing at 90 degrees from rear element, I am unable to see it. If viewing from front element, I am also unable to see it.

Thanks
Felix

Lens Fungus??

Jun 19, 2013 at 06:54 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens fungus

Might be separation.

Jun 19, 2013 at 09:53 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens fungus

It doesn't look biological to me, so I think Jim's probably right. Separation.

Jun 20, 2013 at 12:42 AM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens fungus

You really can't tell anything from that magnification. Can you show it at higher magnification, possibly a 100% crop of the image you already have.

Jun 20, 2013 at 01:15 AM
felixj

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens fungus

Thanks all.

I included a full size photo here.

Full Size

Jun 20, 2013 at 02:28 AM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens fungus

Separation, I think. Not repearable. Better buy another one.

Jun 20, 2013 at 03:41 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lens fungus

Definitely fungus. Lens cement is already gone for a great part between some elements. Seems to be a total loss to me, I am afraid you'll have to dump it. Anyway, keep it away from your lenses to prevent contamination of your other glass.

Jun 20, 2013 at 04:14 AM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lens fungus

Hard to tell.
I think a kind of dried salt water spray or such or fungus.

It does not look like lens delamination, but it also doesn´t look like typical lens fungus. But fungus seems to have very different looks.

Regarding delamination: I try to get a relative easy way to repair delaminated lenses.
My test with Canada Balm was not easy.
First test with optical UV curing glue was very good, I want to do one or two further tests and if positive publicate this in my photo DIY repair website.

Edited on Jun 29, 2013 at 05:30 PM · View previous versions

Jun 20, 2013 at 05:46 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lens fungus

I still think it's separation. Here's an example in a CZ Planar 50/1.7 AEJ. It would probably be sharper if it was an MMG.

First image is a slight crop (for framing), second image is 100%. Mamiya A 120/4 Macro on EOS 6D.

Jun 20, 2013 at 07:30 AM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lens fungus

jcowell, your post and this zuiko look like deposits on the internal glass - probably condensates from either oil or moisture that got trapped in the center section where the aperture is. Often this can be cleaned. separation looks much different, usually.

-Ed

Jun 20, 2013 at 12:00 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lens fungus

Ed Sawyer wrote:
jcowell, your post and this zuiko look like deposits on the internal glass - probably condensates from either oil or moisture that got trapped in the center section where the aperture is. Often this can be cleaned. separation looks much different, usually.

-Ed

Hi Ed,

That's what I thought, initially. My local professional lens repair shop made the separation diagnosis. They're usually right. They've "done" about a dozen fungified lenses for me (half restored, half garbaged), and identified a number of others with many different types of separation.

I'll be occupied for the next week or so. After that, maybe I'll crack it open, and see.

Jim

Jun 20, 2013 at 03:26 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lens fungus

eosfun wrote:
Definitely fungus.

Doesn't fungus seem to look more organic, like spider webs?

If this is separation, it looks interesting as I somehow thought separation occurs mostly on the rims/edge of the lens caused by cement and with some sort of discoloration/yellowing?

I think most separation can be repaired but it might cost you more than the price of this lens

Jun 20, 2013 at 03:34 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lens fungus

Ed Sawyer wrote:

-Ed

OK, I lied. I just cracked open the rear element group, and it's clean back there. Then I noticed that it's on the front side of the diaphragm.

This supports the condensates diagnosis, as there are no cemented element groups up there (see attached snap of the Zeiss data sheet schematic).

So, how do I open the front? I don't have time to do it now...

Jun 20, 2013 at 04:02 PM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lens fungus

Re the op's lens, I still can't tell even with the larger pic, but I think there's something different happening around the edges to the rest of the lens surface. Most of the surface looks like it's got some kind of film on it, haze from condensation or similar, which can lead to fungus. I have no idea what's happened to the edge.

At the end of the day, unless this is the 50/2 Macro or the 50/1.2, I'm not sure that it matters as the rest of the 50's are not expensive and it's probably cheaper to replace it than to repair it, depending on cleaning/repair costs in your area. It might be worth trying to clean it yourself.

Jun 20, 2013 at 05:23 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lens fungus

I "think" you can pry (gently) name ring out. My 50/1.4 MMJ front part (whole front) is simply screwed on rest of body. AEs are different..

Jun 20, 2013 at 05:32 PM
OpticalFlow
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lens fungus

Agree with Mescalamba.
For most 50's I've openend (and I've openend a few) the access was via unscrewing the name ring with a rubber tool and then usually the whole front optical group comes out in one piece (sometimes held in by a few screws or another ring). I would be surprised if it was much different for the 50 1.7.

Jun 21, 2013 at 03:16 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.