New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 1st Exhibit Invite ...

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1st Exhibit Invite ...

I just got an invite to exhibit @ a local "mini-gallery" that is sponsored by a long-standing frame shop. There is enough space for 30 - 40 pieces (maybe 50+) depending on size / arrangement. This will be my first exhibit.

Part of my dialogue with the owner was that I'd probably present 80% (or so) as a mixture of unmatted or matted only ... with only a few completely framed for illustration of the power good framing adds to the image. This would in part serve to keep my costs down for framing, and in part to generate more matting/framing work for him.

No commission, no fee ... all print sales are 100% mine. He gets his on the increase in traffic exposure from my work @ the exhibit and the new framing orders to finish my pieces.

Any thoughts/input @ method/source for displaying (on drywall) unframed pieces (matted or unmatted)? That and recommendations @ matting/bagging sources to augment display pieces at various sizes/multiples?

TIA

Jun 19, 2013 at 06:01 PM
Cphoto1954
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1st Exhibit Invite ...

Congrats to you and having your first show! Having to pay no commission is a great bonus.

I have had quite a few shows in my time and understand about keeping costs down. I personally think it looks best to frame work that is hung on a wall. One option depending on size is to go with a framless option. These consist of a fiber backing board with a glass front and side clips that hold it all together. Just sandwich your print between them, hanger is ususally built into the backing board. I've gotten these at Ikea in the past 8" x 10" up to 16" x 20" (under $10.00 for the 16x20).

Clearbags.com is a great source for mats and bags to keep lose prints safe.

Keep in mind that you should never print anything for a show that you would not want to keep for yourself. As you may not sell everything you show.

Good luck to you!

Jun 20, 2013 at 11:47 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1st Exhibit Invite ...

Cphoto1954 wrote:
These consist of a fiber backing board with a glass front and side clips that hold it all together. Just sandwich your print between them, hanger is ususally built into the backing board.

Thanks

These sound interesting ... do you have a link/source?

Jun 20, 2013 at 04:09 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1st Exhibit Invite ...

Kent, congrats man! That's awesome!

Another option is to have your prints made on stand-outs. WHCC has one that is printed on aluminum plate and you can have a gator back mounting block that allows you to hang it in either vertical or horizontal orientation depending on the print and the cost is less than half of framing. I actually prefer it to framing because there is nothing between the viewer and the print....

Good luck with the show!

Greg

Jun 22, 2013 at 09:02 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1st Exhibit Invite ...

Thanks Greg ... will have to check into stand-outs.

Jun 22, 2013 at 01:56 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1st Exhibit Invite ...

As an aside in a semi-related matter ... I've now been asked to participate in an outdoor exhibit/vend for promoting the local artisan community.

Thoughts @ display outdoors ... I've never vended before.

Jun 26, 2013 at 01:21 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.