Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · X100s focus problems, me.. the camera.. what the hey?

coffeeshakes
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · X100s focus problems, me.. the camera.. what the hey?

I'm having some issues with my newish x100s, and i'm on the verge of getting rid of it. I figure as a last gasp I'll try here to see if there is some workflow I am missing, as I really like the camera, but its not performing when it needs to. Essentially it focuses regularly on the background rather than on the subject. This occurs even when the focus points seem to be lighting up on the subject itself. Usually fairly close range, but not always.

This gets really stressful when i'm trying to get the shot, for example, I shot 5 frames in a row like this before I had to put the camera away and grab my nikon.

I'm using center focus point only, mostly focus-recompose. af-s.

Jun 19, 2013 at 07:47 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · X100s focus problems, me.. the camera.. what the hey?

Looks to me like it's on AF-C. I have no probs like this at all.

Jun 19, 2013 at 08:11 PM
coffeeshakes
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · X100s focus problems, me.. the camera.. what the hey?

I know, but its not on af-c, even center focused images are similar:

I should note, it's not always like this, its inconsistent. But when its bad it seems to be bad over, and over and over in a row. Maybe a problem with the camera?

Edited on Jun 19, 2013 at 08:21 PM · View previous versions

Jun 19, 2013 at 08:17 PM
itai195
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · X100s focus problems, me.. the camera.. what the hey?

Are you using the OVF or EVF? Do you have "Corrected AF Frame" turned on?

Jun 19, 2013 at 08:20 PM
coffeeshakes
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · X100s focus problems, me.. the camera.. what the hey?

90% OVF, I do have corrected af frame on, that's how I'll usually notice that the focusing is wrong. Points light up on subject, but I don't see the frame move down and in (siginfying that the camera is focusing to a close point)

Jun 19, 2013 at 08:22 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · X100s focus problems, me.. the camera.. what the hey?

Evf or OVF? I've heard evf is more reliable for close focus, but you'd hope it would be able to nail focus on such prominent subjects when focusing closer via the OVF. It does seem concerning, makes me wonder if its faulty, perhaps try talking to Fuji if no one can help here?

Jun 19, 2013 at 08:23 PM
DaveOls
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · X100s focus problems, me.. the camera.. what the hey?

If you're using center focus, the first picture's center is on the equipment way behind him.
put the subject is the center of the frame, focus, then push the AFL button and recompose.
On the second image the center may actually be slightly left of the base of her neck. The woods behind her are in focus. If this is not the problem, you may have to fine tune the AF for your lenses.
I recently got a used D 300s that lets me move the focus square around in the viewfinder. It's really neat to be able to do this.

Jun 19, 2013 at 08:28 PM
coffeeshakes
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · X100s focus problems, me.. the camera.. what the hey?

ricardovaste wrote:
Evf or OVF? I've heard evf is more reliable for close focus, but you'd hope it would be able to nail focus on such prominent subjects when focusing closer via the OVF. It does seem concerning, makes me wonder if its faulty, perhaps try talking to Fuji if no one can help here?

Right - if it can't figure that second shot out while using the ovf, the the camera is not for me.

@DaveOls
I am using focus-recompose, i'm aware a center point focus on the first shot would not hit the subject

Also, this camera does not have interchangeable lenses, nor could this possibly be a micro-adjust thing, this is plain focusing on the background.

Jun 19, 2013 at 08:34 PM
coffeeshakes
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · X100s focus problems, me.. the camera.. what the hey?

Did some testing, it occurs specifically when the subject is darker and the background is bright, scenarios where I would be using a flash or overexposing the background. This could not focus correctly evf or ovf 9 out of 10 times. I then turned around (folllowing image) and have zero problems with bright subject on dark background.

Jun 19, 2013 at 08:52 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · X100s focus problems, me.. the camera.. what the hey?

exactly why I ditched my X100, really wanted to love it but the hit/miss rate sucked..tried all the suggestions, tips, etc. just seemed too tempermental and shouldn't have to fiddle and screw with menus, settings and stuff so much imo..bought a Sony RX100 for half the price and like it twice as much

Jun 19, 2013 at 09:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mortyb
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · X100s focus problems, me.. the camera.. what the hey?

Reminds me of how the "auto-AF" works on the X-E1. Braindead. But I'm surprised with these results using center point.

Jun 19, 2013 at 09:15 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · X100s focus problems, me.. the camera.. what the hey?

Kell wrote:
exactly why I ditched my X100, really wanted to love it but the hit/miss rate sucked..tried all the suggestions, tips, etc. just seemed too tempermental and shouldn't have to fiddle and screw with menus, settings and stuff so much imo..bought a Sony RX100 for half the price and like it twice as much

Is this a common x100 issue? I'm still debating between the two cameras.

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · X100s focus problems, me.. the camera.. what the hey?

I think it might be because I solicited advise and there was plenty to divvy out...thought at first it was a learning curve of a new camera and there were some intricacies of the camera I needed to master...but in the end I just realized there's no way a camera should be this complicated and get in the way of just shooting...first one I've owned over the last several years that was a PITA to me. I'm so much happier with the Sony overall...outstanding IQ, fun, light and portable, flexible and allot less $$$...good luck

Jun 20, 2013 at 03:45 AM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · X100s focus problems, me.. the camera.. what the hey?

If this happens with EVF too then it's the camera's fault, should return and try something else. You shouldn't need to second guess whether the camera gets the focus or not with center AF.

Jun 20, 2013 at 04:02 AM
DaveOls
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · X100s focus problems, me.. the camera.. what the hey?

Doesn't the camera have a 9 point focus option. I would think then it would focus on a subject which is nearest to the photographer.

Jun 23, 2013 at 06:58 PM
benee
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · X100s focus problems, me.. the camera.. what the hey?

I shoot an X100 and (while the focus can be finicky) get better results in backlit situations. If you are using the OVF, you should be able to tell before you press the shot if the shot is in focus or not. If focus is on the background, then the little AF zone won't shift down, iIf you are properly focused on a closer object, the AF zone should shift down/right a bit.

I will say that for a lot of closer subjects, I find it easier to use EVF.

Maybe try making the focus area on the OVF smaller - that way you have less of a chance of locking on the background?

Jun 24, 2013 at 01:58 AM
benee
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · X100s focus problems, me.. the camera.. what the hey?

tobicus wrote:
Is this a common x100 issue? I'm still debating between the two cameras.

It was a common issue with the early firmware on the X100. With the most recent firmware, especially the "corrected AF frame," not as much. It can be finicky to get closer focus (like 3 feet) with the OVF. I often use the EVF at this distance. From 4 feet out +, the OVF is fine.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions. I still think you should get the X100 and keep a D700/85 You will want the 85 for those "hero portraits" of the kiddies. The X100 is awesome for everything else.

Jun 24, 2013 at 02:01 AM
luminosity
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · X100s focus problems, me.. the camera.. what the hey?

This all looks familiar. To paraphrase a former classmate of mine: I sold the (insert word) out of that camera.

So overrated. At least the X100 has a terrific sensor.

Jun 24, 2013 at 02:27 AM
robert829
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · X100s focus problems, me.. the camera.. what the hey?

Time to turn it in and let them fix it ...Glad that mine doesn't do that

Jun 24, 2013 at 02:31 AM
luminosity
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · X100s focus problems, me.. the camera.. what the hey?

Mine went to Fujifilm-- didn't change a thing about the focusing.

Jun 24, 2013 at 02:38 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password