New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Email esponse from Quantum about co pilot and PW Mini

Michael White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Email esponse from Quantum about co pilot and PW Mini

Here is the content of and email I received today:

Ken, an employee of Quantum Instruments, replied to Use quantum co pilot and fw7q to control qflash settings while canon speedlites use pocket wizard raios also a PWs radio to trigger qflusiHH, a question about Quantum Instruments.

Michael,

So you are going to mount the PW on the camera hot shoe and the CoPilot above it on the PW hot shoe.

We have not tested that arrangement but we have heard that it works for the Canon versions but not for Nikon

From what he is saying I might be able to control the Canon speedlites on PW Flexes using the menu setting in my 7d and control the QFlash with the Co pilot and everything will work correctly. When I receive my quantum radios next week I will try this out and let you know if it in deed works.

Jun 19, 2013 at 01:46 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Email esponse from Quantum about co pilot and PW Mini

no one got a comment

Jun 23, 2013 at 06:25 AM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Email esponse from Quantum about co pilot and PW Mini

When a flash is used on camera on a Mini or Flex it is normally assumed to be the controller - is it not? If so, how would that work? Are you expecting that you will be able to control remote flashes through your camera menu even though no Canon flash exists in the Mini or Flex? How might the CoPilot respond to being 'told' Full power, Manual, TTL, +1 etc...? I doesn't have the logic to use that.

Do you already control remote flashes using the camera menu?

If you are controlling by your camera menu, you will need to control your on camera flash this way too. Have you tried just fitting a Quantum flash there on the Mini or Flex via a D adapter and does that work? If so, you might be in luck with your radio option.

The CoPilot will operate off camera as a Manual controller. All it needs to transmit a sync signal is a pin and rail connection. I did this in the past using a FreeXwire transmitter and hotshoe adapter and Brett Maxwell was doing it with a Cybersync transmitter. He initially had problems with the simple pin and rail connection, but then he got it working after speaking with PW.

Heres a few old threads you might find snippets of info in:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1007635/0?keyword=pw#9570881
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/975757/0?keyword=pw#9248959

This is good:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/pocketwizards/discuss/72157625949418449/

Hopefully, it will work out for you.

Jun 23, 2013 at 05:06 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Email esponse from Quantum about co pilot and PW Mini

Hi Michael,

When I answered previously, I was awaiting delivery of the ControlTL stuff to try again... particularly with the claims for increased output with other lighting and that 'long duration' flashes are preferred to show the best results. It previously didn't work out last time I tried this, more specifically with Speedlights and on camera use and the stability of the PW system. This time I had specific objectives in mind, these objectives were:
a)Increase full output performance if possible by using Hypersync with Quantums and their FreeXwire system, particularly in combination with the CoPilot.
b)Add function to Speedlights, specifically increased output at full power on camera, if necessary by exceeding my maximum x-sync to obtain ambient reduction.

I didn't achieve either of those objectives and this was using 'Hypersync Only' with no FP/HSS.

What did work was that the Hypersync offset was transferred from the TT1 to the CoPilot so the CoPilot could use the retimed sync. Shooting beyond x-sync with the TT1 and CoPilot combination I could adjust power output between 1/1 and 1/2 and use those outputs. Those output values had no effect on image brightness, both 1/1 and 1/2 provided the same level of brightness but with less even frame coverage (more gradation) for 1/2 power.

Using an SB800 on a D3x in combination with a TT1, I obtained +1/3 more output at 1/250s and could step my shutter and aperture between 1/250s f11 - 1/800s f6.3 with no loss. Likewise, there was no gain.

On the bad side the CoPilot lost all TTL control and didn't sync at any time.

Since I can already step my shutter from 1/250s to 1/8000s by using just the CoPilot and 1/1 output the introduction of a TT1 offered no benefit.

Overall, it was a worthwhile experiment. If you want to use a Speedlight on camera, you can go beyond x-sync and access a wider aperture keeping ambient at the same ratio but for me and using Quantum equipment adding a TT1 into the mix added no benefit.

Let us know how you go on.

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:00 AM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Email esponse from Quantum about co pilot and PW Mini

So Michael, did yours work?

Jun 29, 2013 at 05:19 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.