Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Which first modifier for Profoto AcuteB2 for portraits?

pjny
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Which first modifier for Profoto AcuteB2 for portraits?

Hi,

I just ordered the Profoto Acute B2 600w with lamphead and was looking for suggested modifiers for mostly 1/2 lengths and headshots for daily assignments. I mainly photograph people who don't have the best skin so the softbox is useful but its just soft but doesn't have that "punchiness" of the beauty dish. I also want to master one light in the limited time I have with most assignments.

I've seen the Matthew Jordan Smith creativelive episodes and love his mastery of the Profoto beauty dish. The only thing about the BD is that it doesn't fold up and I might have issues fitting it in my small trunk as well as for travel. Also, would you recommend Mola Demi vs. Profoto?

I also like the results of the Elinchrom Rotalux in the Joey L videos.

Modifiers I currently have are:

24" Impact softbox(Joe McNally softbox knockoff)

2 42" silver/shootthrough/black umbrellas

42" Photek Umbrella - Softlighter II - 46"

4 36" Softlighters.

Home made 20 inch beauty dish

Orbis ringflash

3 48" 2x98 CRI Bubl Home made Kino in workshop lights (beautiful light but no dimming)

40" 5-in-1 reflector

Matthews Road Rags (small)

I mainly use the 24" softbox with SB-900 and use 4 other SB-800s with Pocketwizard Flex TT5s for quick portraits but want to step up the quality of light using Profoto modifiers. I have a Dynalight UNI JR 400 with Vagabond battery pack and I've used the 46" photek softliter with it. Perhaps I can use it for on-axis fill.

I'm also looking at strobe powered rim lights powered by the SB-800. Anyone know good modifiers that can be used for rim lights and powered by sb-800?

Any suggestions will be welcome.

Jun 19, 2013 at 03:09 AM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Which first modifier for Profoto AcuteB2 for portraits?

Congrats on the purchase! Profoto's white BD should be perfect for your needs as key, and attaches effortlessly. You can certainly make enough room in a car trunk. Otherwise, your silver umbrella should serve: portable, hard enough but not too hard, free. Your rim light can use any of the 24" SB, direct, or a bounce card. Start shooting!

Jun 19, 2013 at 03:28 AM
Sheldon N
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Which first modifier for Profoto AcuteB2 for portraits?

pjny wrote:
I also like the results of the Elinchrom Rotalux in the Joey L videos.

The Elinchrom Rotalux Deep Octa is an amazing modifier, my go-to for location shooting. Lately I prefer the smaller 27.5" Deep Octa to the larger 39" Deep Octa, but both are great. They come with a nice carrying case, are lightweight and easy to carry around. They are also quite flexible in terms of the type of light you can get from them. You can use them bare, with a deflector, with just the inner diffuser (my typical use) or with both diffusion panels in place.

I have the Mola Demi but it's much less portable and gets a lot less use.

The small Profoto pack with a 27.5 Deep Octa would make a great location kit.

Jun 19, 2013 at 03:49 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Which first modifier for Profoto AcuteB2 for portraits?

All I use with mine is a 22" white BD. In your case it may be worth buying a sock for it too.

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Engelsen

p.1 #5 · Which first modifier for Profoto AcuteB2 for portraits?

If I could have only one modifier and I was shooting mostly portraits, I think I would have chosen the 3ī octabox. And learn to use it to itīs full potential. It is really a beautiful modifier whit lots of different uses.

Jun 19, 2013 at 08:44 PM
aztwang1
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Which first modifier for Profoto AcuteB2 for portraits?

3' foot octabox or white Beauty dish. The octabox which is deep and similar to the Elincrome, can easily light 1/2 to 3/4 and it can be very specular if you remove both diffusers because of its bright silver interior. The beauty dish is my favorite as you can use it right out of the box, use the optional center glass deflector instead of the white metal one, use grids, white or black which give you 4 completely different looks.

Jun 20, 2013 at 06:13 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #7 · Which first modifier for Profoto AcuteB2 for portraits?

Your modifier depends on your style of shooting. In general, a larger modifier will offer less contrast and be more flattering to your subjects skin. Unless you're dealing with young models with perfect skin, a beauty dish is not the ideal option. The light is too hard and plays up all the skins imperfections. You can put a sock over the BD, but that defeats the purpose of having a BD. Also, a larger softbox or octo would then provide a better solution.

Jun 20, 2013 at 02:14 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password