Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · The photo that broke a mother’s heart.

Micky Bill
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · The photo that broke a mother’s heart.

Typical photographer not paying attention, move the kids on the bleachers a foot or so the right so there's not a gap between him and the rest of the class.
But that's what you get for $8.50 an hour.
I also have a little bit of blame (maybe 20%) for the teacher, she is an adult, she knows the kid and if there isn't a classroom aide she should be an advocate to help him be included and treated as much like the other kids as possible.

And if it was a deliberate attempt to isolate him because his situation is "disturbing" then IMO it would be a pretty obvious civil rights issue.

i blame laziness and inattention

Jun 19, 2013 at 06:21 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · The photo that broke a mother’s heart.

Mataz426 wrote:
Ok, here's my thought on this photo. Clearly the kids are centered on the bench in the bottom row, same empty space on both sides, the child in the wheel chair would have had to be behind part of the bench obstructing his wheel chair. I think whoever took this photo did no harm, and I think people are over reacting. Oh and it's always easy after the fact for people to say (they should have done this, or I would have done that)

+1 totally agree

Jun 19, 2013 at 07:49 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · The photo that broke a mother’s heart.

It's a good thing that the kid in the chair was not blurred, as it shows how thrilled he is to be in the picture. While it would have been nice to move the teach over to the other side, this is really much ado about nothing. The kid, even with whatever his disabilities are, is happy. Isn't that what matters? There are a lot more important things to be worried about these days than a mediocre class picture.

Jun 19, 2013 at 09:30 PM
speakit101
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · The photo that broke a mother’s heart.

Its all about the $$$$$$$we are in a lawsuit happy society. I understand the reason for being a lil upset but really come on just have the photographer come in and redo it or hire some one else at the school expense to retake the shot. Period enough already....

Jun 20, 2013 at 05:20 AM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · The photo that broke a mother’s heart.

speakit101 wrote:
Its all about the $$$$$$$we are in a lawsuit happy society. I understand the reason for being a lil upset but really come on just have the photographer come in and redo it or hire some one else at the school expense to retake the shot. Period enough already....

Unless I missed something....no one sued anyone.

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:13 AM
amacal1
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · The photo that broke a mother’s heart.

I'm not sure that a lawsuit may have been her goal, but a storm of drama and publicity certainly wasn't necessary. Especially if her reasonin involved the child's well-being and embarrassment.

I disagree with the idea that the offending image only concerns the child, and that if he's happy then there's no problem. In many ways, the photo is more for the parents than for for the child. And if the parent is disturbed by the image, then it is a problem.

However, she is far too quick to feel discriminated against. And WAY far too quick to publicly claim discrimination. She's free to feel however she likes, but her behavior is frankly more inappropriate than the offending image. And the saddest part of all is how her behavior has been condoned, and even congratulated, by a large part of society.

An ad nauseum argument could be as such: What if a child's shirt looks a little untidy in the picture? What if he's just an average little boy, and like average little boys he just played a little dirty or rough and now he's untidy? What if the child's family also happens to be poor? Could the family claim that the photo represents discrimination? Should it be the photographer's responsibly to position the rest of the class around the child with the untidy shirt so that it's not as visible that he's "different"? What if his family is not poor? As a parent, I wouldn't be happy if I saw my child was obviously untidy in the picture and it was "ruined". If it was bad enough I would even insist that something should have been done before the picture was taken to improve the situation. But, "discrimination" would be a terribly inappropriate emotion to feel. I don't see these two situations as being that different. Just a guy doing his "job" and not really paying attention to how it looks and might make people feel.

Jun 20, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · The photo that broke a mother’s heart.

speakit101 wrote:

No not really.

The parents of a young disabled boy want people to know they don’t blame their son’s teacher for the insensitive class photo that showed him in his wheelchair separated from his classmates.

Anne Belanger, mother of seven-year-old Miles Ambridge, said she doesn’t believe the teacher was being intentionally malicious when her son was placed at the far edge of the class photo, detached from the rest.

“I’m not on a warpath,” said the New Westminster mom. “I just want to bring awareness that this was not acceptable.”

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/health/Parents+Miles+Ambridge+acknowledge+there+malice+behind+isolating+photo+wheelchair/8528896/story.html#ixzz2WmhoXUam

Jun 20, 2013 at 02:01 PM
rdl65

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · The photo that broke a mother’s heart.

It looks like to me that the little feller had a great time and is happy. It's only the grown ups that have the problem.

Jun 20, 2013 at 05:00 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · The photo that broke a mother’s heart.

Sunny Sra wrote:
No not really.

The parents of a young disabled boy want people to know they don’t blame their son’s teacher for the insensitive class photo that showed him in his wheelchair separated from his classmates.

Anne Belanger, mother of seven-year-old Miles Ambridge, said she doesn’t believe the teacher was being intentionally malicious when her son was placed at the far edge of the class photo, detached from the rest.

“I’m not on a warpath,” said the New Westminster mom. “I just want to bring awareness that this was not acceptable.”

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/health/Parents+Miles+Ambridge+acknowledge+there+malice+behind+isolating+photo+wheelchair/8528896/story.html#ixzz2WmhoXUam

Yes.

Jun 20, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Access
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · The photo that broke a mother’s heart.

Personally I think what the photographer did was wrong either way.
By blurring the faces of everyone except for those of a single child and the teacher, it's like he's trying to make a social statement or give the photo some meaning or social/philosophical interpretation. While it's a photographer's right to show off his vision or view of the world, let's be perfectly clear, this is supposed to be an ordinary class photo! Not some contemporary art piece or a commentary on the state of modern society. While I can guess the message that the photographer was actually trying to send or portray with his photo, it's just not the job that he was hired to do (in this case).

Ultimately the photographer's job is to understand his place, his clients intent in hiring him, and to provide them with the end result they want.

People seem to focus overly on the one child but how would you feel as the parents of any of the other children? If the photographer decided to blur out the face of your child just to make a statement or to show his view / interpretation of the world. It's just plain odd, and unprofessional.

Jun 21, 2013 at 07:26 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · The photo that broke a mother’s heart.

Access wrote:
Personally I think what the photographer did was wrong either way.
By blurring the faces of everyone except for those of a single child and the teacher, it's like he's trying to make a social statement or give the photo some meaning or social/philosophical interpretation. While it's a photographer's right to show off his vision or view of the world, let's be perfectly clear, this is supposed to be an ordinary class photo! Not some contemporary art piece or a commentary on the state of modern society. While I can guess the message that the photographer was actually trying to send
...Show more

Other kids blurred out by newspapers to protect privacy. Had nothing to do with the original image which of course showed their faces.

Jun 22, 2013 at 09:56 AM
       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.