Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Who has already Lightroom 5?

H.Lux
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Who has already Lightroom 5?

Lightroom 5 is out now.
As far as I see up to now, it's a minor upgrade. There's a pretty good function "upright" which automatically correct perspective distortion. The can choose to totally correct or leave some degree of distortion. Lightroom 5 seems to may be a bit faster when changing the modules and the controls run quite smoothly on my now two year old laptop computer. So there may be a small speed advantage. Masks can be oval, a smart preview for off-line processing is available.

Have fun,

Stefan

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:42 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Who has already Lightroom 5?

I'm running the 30 day demo, but will likely upgrade. I've found the speed improvements to be more than just minor, but otherwise it's a pretty small upgrade. Worth the $80 though.

Jun 19, 2013 at 01:00 AM
anscochrome
• •
p.1 #3 · Who has already Lightroom 5?

I have it. I like it very much. The healing brush, when used as a replacement for content aware fill via a trip to photoshop, is very sluggish on my old Q9660 processor-I will have to go to Haslem soon to speed things up. The other new functions work quite well-the auto upright function works amazingly well if your lens is profiled-auto upright saves me at least 5 minutes of manually using sliders for corrections. I am very pleased .

Jun 19, 2013 at 01:05 AM
anscochrome
• •
p.1 #4 · Who has already Lightroom 5?

Forgot to add something else. I noticed that raw files from my 450D shot at ISO 1600 are amazingly clean now-far better than before. I do not feel the need to use noise reduction at all. Some sort of under the hood improvement must have happened to Adobe Camera Raw. I went back and re-processed old raws shot at 1600 from 2008, and they showed dramatic noise performance improvements as well. I hope this will help out disgruntled 7D owners (assuming that cameras raw files show the same noise improvements as my 450D)

Jun 19, 2013 at 01:09 AM
ytwong
• • •
p.1 #5 · Who has already Lightroom 5?

I'm still playing with the LR5 Beta. Was planning to buy one but I purchased a copy of C1 express during their promotion period, while it seems to be buggy, have stepper learning curve, lack of lens profile, slow to support new camera (poor support to Sony RX-100)... the result it produces seems very good. Good details, much better noise control, more natural shadow/highlight recovery(I think LR is a bit better in highlight recovery and C1 is much better in shadow recovery) . So far I prefer C1 results over LR4/5. I might upgrade the C1 to Pro instead of getting LR5 (but their poor support is really a concern).

I can't feel improvement in quality comparing LR5 to LR4(ACR 7). The oval shaped mask is a welcome addition but I much prefer Nik software's control (as in Nikon Capture, Nik Viveza ).

Jun 19, 2013 at 01:59 AM
sflxn
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Who has already Lightroom 5?

I was quite surprised at how small an "upgrade" LR 5 is. I bought it mostly for the smart preview feature. That feature has definitely changed how I store my files and work with my images on my laptop when away from home. The straightening feature works pretty well. The smart removal feature kinda works in some photos. I find it's useless in most of 50% of my images. The oval shape seems to be a feature lifted from Nik. Since I already use Nik, I see no point in that feature for me.

Jun 19, 2013 at 02:13 AM
Michael White
• • •
p.1 #7 · Who has already Lightroom 5?

Minor upgrade not! The smart previews is a major plus in my book. Being able to work on images that are on a drive not connected is a big plus. No more large files of photos on the laptop. No more having to make a catalog for a trip, etc i have a hyperspace Umda II that I download my cards to in the field and then at the end of the night I connect it and a backup drive to the laptop ingest the file from the hyperspace and save to both it and the backup. I can now disconnect and process the images until the next day when I reconnect the drives and it updates the hyperspace and then ingest the new files and make the new directories simple no need to maintain. Connection to the external drives now.

Jun 19, 2013 at 05:54 AM
Johnny B Goode
• •
p.1 #8 · Who has already Lightroom 5?

anscochrome wrote:
Forgot to add something else. I noticed that raw files from my 450D shot at ISO 1600 are amazingly clean now-far better than before. I do not feel the need to use noise reduction at all. Some sort of under the hood improvement must have happened to Adobe Camera Raw. I went back and re-processed old raws shot at 1600 from 2008, and they showed dramatic noise performance improvements as well. I hope this will help out disgruntled 7D owners (assuming that cameras raw files show the same noise improvements as my 450D)

any examples?

Jun 19, 2013 at 09:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Who has already Lightroom 5?

I upgraded. I like the upright tool and have used it a lot. It saves a lot of time and usually does a very nice job. I also find the radial filters to be very, very useful, especially for brightening faces and such...it falls off very naturally and is actually giving me better results than brushing in the adjustment in many cases...it lets you make adjustments that look natural and are fast.

Jun 19, 2013 at 04:32 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Who has already Lightroom 5?

Do you see any improvement in the Develop Mode Lens Corrections tool? Is there a lens correction profile for the OM-D? Any changes to the Auto "Remove CA" tool? On LR4 I could never successfully remove all the CA from Panasonic 7-14 files and that's bugging me quite a lot.

If there are changes in the Lens Correction tool for OM-D users it would be worth the upgrade for me.

Jman13 wrote:
I upgraded. I like the upright tool and have used it a lot. It saves a lot of time and usually does a very nice job. I also find the radial filters to be very, very useful, especially for brightening faces and such...it falls off very naturally and is actually giving me better results than brushing in the adjustment in many cases...it lets you make adjustments that look natural and are fast.

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Neddie Seagoon
• •
p.1 #11 · Who has already Lightroom 5?

Bobby, this may or may not help, but I've been looking for a CA fixer as well. No experience with Lr4, I use Aperture. Fixing CA with Aperture is possible, but tedious and not always satisfactory. So, I downloaded demos of Lr5, Capture 1, And Dx0. Long story short, Dx0 worked best for me.

Actually, what worked best was stopping the lens down 2 stops, but that defeats the purpose of a fast lens doesn't it?

Jun 20, 2013 at 06:12 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.1 #12 · Who has already Lightroom 5?

Neddie Seagoon wrote:
Bobby, this may or may not help, but I've been looking for a CA fixer as well. No experience with Lr4, I use Aperture. Fixing CA with Aperture is possible, but tedious and not always satisfactory. So, I downloaded demos of Lr5, Capture 1, And Dx0. Long story short, Dx0 worked best for me.

Actually, what worked best was stopping the lens down 2 stops, but that defeats the purpose of a fast lens doesn't it?

The last sentence reveals that you are talking about longitudinal CA. What software can do is desaturate the affected areas. That may reduce the apparent color fringing, but does not cure the loss of contrast and resolution. A better cure would involve complex deconvolution algorithms with an uncertain outcome. The best remedy is prevention, by using a lens with good CA control. Software cannot fix everything.

Jun 20, 2013 at 06:36 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Who has already Lightroom 5?

Thanks for the tip Neddie, but DXO software is not cheap right? I think I will just wait until Adobe includes the OM-D profile in Lightroom. The Auto CA correction tool works to some extent but doesn't remove it completely.

Neddie Seagoon wrote:

Jun 20, 2013 at 06:39 PM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Who has already Lightroom 5?

Just switched from Aperture 3 to LR5 after trialing it for a month. I now rarely feel the need to revert to Nik or other 3rd party NR software, most of it being done in-house now. It was a pretty easy switch though I don't see that much speed difference. I am still not happy with the sharpness of exported images as I feel they lose some in the Print module.

Jun 20, 2013 at 07:30 PM
Neddie Seagoon
• •
p.1 #15 · Who has already Lightroom 5?

I'm getting green fringes in high contrast spots, whatever that is. Sure, I'd love to have lots of APO glass but that's not in the budget. The fringing is not a show stopper, I'm aware of the limits of software. I love the look I get from this lens in all other respects so I think I'll just suffer for now.

Actually, Dx0 is priced about the same as Lr5.

Jun 20, 2013 at 09:39 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password