New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Rokinon 14mm

nburwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rokinon 14mm

I have heard a lot of good things about this lens, and for the price point, I have been tempted to pick one up. However, I would only use it for astrophotography. Right now, my 16-35mm is my go to lens for UWA images, along with astrophotography. So with that said, is there any point in me getting the Rokinon 14mm? I do hear the corners are sharper over the 16-35mm. But other than the corner sharpness and the extra 2mm, I can't find any other differences between the two. I was also thinking that if I did pick up the Rokinon, I could then sell the 16-35mm and pick up a 17-40mm for my UWA work.

Does anyone own both lenses? What are your thoughts?

-Nick

Jun 18, 2013 at 02:54 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rokinon 14mm

I've owned all of the lenses you mention; both Mk I and II versions of the 16-35/2.8L. My 14mm is the Samyang 14mm UMC AS version, which I've read differs from the original non-UMC labeled Samyang version (UMC supposedly having better multicoating).

I'm currently using the Samyang 14/2.8 UMC and EF 16-35/2.8L II, as well as the TS-E 17/4L and Zeiss 18/3.5 ZE.

The Samyang is sharper in the corners at 14mm than the zooms at 16mm and 17mm. Whether you'll be happy with the 17-40/4L instead of 16-35/2.8L probably depends mostly on whether you'll ever want to shoot it at f/2.8.

Jun 18, 2013 at 04:27 PM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rokinon 14mm

Thanks for the reply, Jim. The only time I really shoot at f/2.8 with my 16-25mm II is when I'm doing astrophotography. Otherwise, it's stopped down to f/8 or f/11. That's why I'm thinking of selling the 16-35mm after I pick up the Rokinon. I'd love to rent the Rokinon for the weekend, but unfortunately, its doesn't seem that Lensrentals and Lensprotogo carry it in their inventory.

-Nick

Jun 19, 2013 at 06:53 AM
spada
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rokinon 14mm

If you want the best price on one, go to ebay and search for the Bell&Howell branded version. He has best offer. I recently picked one up for the Alpha mount for $270, when the buy it now price was $299, so I bet you could probably get the canon version for $300 or less.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bell-Howell-14mm-F2-8-Super-Wide-Angle-Lens-for-Canon-EOS-Digital-SLR-/390545391713?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item5aee51c061

Jun 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.