Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9      
       11       end

Archive 2013 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #1 · p.10 #1 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

I am praying I won't need luck.

Jul 17, 2013 at 07:10 PM
phlegmon
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #2 · p.10 #2 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

I wouldn't count on prayers either

Jul 17, 2013 at 08:19 PM
Hulot
• •
p.10 #3 · p.10 #3 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

form wrote:
I received a D800 purchased new a few months ago through B&H by another FMer, and it has the left side AF issue. Serial 3066xxx - it's the same AF problem as my first D800 (though my second D800 did NOT have the issue).

I wouldnt. I would even consider buying a used body witht the left Af problem for maybe 100-200 less. I am sure most people could avoid to use the left focus poin. For landscape there is no need anyway and for people you can use any other point or the right focus field.

Otherwise I'd ask them, how they deal with repairs on that issue before sending in.

Jul 17, 2013 at 08:50 PM
Yamil R. Sued
• •
p.10 #4 · p.10 #4 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Hulot wrote:
I wouldnt. I would even consider buying a used body witht the left Af problem for maybe 100-200 less. I am sure most people could avoid to use the left focus poin. For landscape there is no need anyway and for people you can use any other point or the right focus field.

Otherwise I'd ask them, how they deal with repairs on that issue before sending in.

I have two D800's and I have never used in AF, I do most of my work with an 85mm PC-E lens... I couldn't tell you if any of my bodies are affected.

I have purchased three D4's here on FM and I find folks here are fairly honest with their assessment of Used Gear, but I'm still cautious and ask for a trial period, just in case.

One of the D4's I purchased here had the Rubber Vertical Control knob fall off on me, I didn't complain, Just sent it in and had it back in 4 days.

Things do happen when you buy used.

Y

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:51 PM
form
• • • •
p.10 #5 · p.10 #5 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Unfortunately the seller did NOT offer a trial period, he said "As-Is." Since the price was low, I took the chance. It was a gamble, and now it's turning into a PITA.

I never, NEVER should have sold my last D800. It was like finding a diamond, then selling it, missing it and trying to buy a similar diamond but discovering upon arrival that I paid the same amount for a piece of plain glass.

Jul 18, 2013 at 05:01 PM
Yamil R. Sued
• •
p.10 #6 · p.10 #6 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

form wrote:
Unfortunately the seller did NOT offer a trial period, he said "As-Is." Since the price was low, I took the chance. It was a gamble, and now it's turning into a PITA.

I never, NEVER should have sold my last D800. It was like finding a diamond, then selling it, missing it and trying to buy a similar diamond but discovering upon arrival that I paid the same amount for a piece of plain glass.

That IS unfortunate, and Nikon's warranty is NOT transferable, nobody's really is!!

That is why at times, I would rather buy new or Factory Refurbished, this way I get either 1 Year or 90-180 days, depending on who sold the body to you.

Another drawback of buying used is that you never know about the history of the body either, I'm very open on the background of the stuff I sell and when I sell lenses with warranty left on them, I leave them registered to me on Nikons web site, just in case I have to send them in for the person that purchased them.

Jul 18, 2013 at 05:16 PM
form
• • • •
p.10 #7 · p.10 #7 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

I continue to make poor used purchase choices and sell things I never should sell. It's nothing new for me...this time I bought a lemon knowing there was a risk, but foolishly thinking that Nikon had solved this issue since the manufacture of this particular camera and I wouldn't have the focus problem. Unfortunately, I am not rich and every time I make a stupid mistake I lose a lot of money in the process.

Jul 20, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Yamil R. Sued
• •
p.10 #8 · p.10 #8 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

form wrote:
I continue to make poor used purchase choices and sell things I never should sell. It's nothing new for me...this time I bought a lemon knowing there was a risk, but foolishly thinking that Nikon had solved this issue since the manufacture of this particular camera and I wouldn't have the focus problem. Unfortunately, I am not rich and every time I make a stupid mistake I lose a lot of money in the process.

I don't want to sound rude, but what does Nikon have to do with a used camera you purchased with absolutely NO record of how it was used prior to you getting it? If the body your purchased was manufactured in the Serial Number Range affected by the issue, what made you believe that yours wasn't affected? And... How do you know that your body doesn't have something else wrong with it? You really don't. And, Nikon won't have any responsibility or warranty with a used body you purchased from someone else in a condition that was unknown to you and you shouldn't have any expectation of such responsibility either.

I heard there was an issue with some AF thing, but because that issue has never affected me once due to the fact that I almost never use AF on my two D800's, I never even bothered to send them in or even have them checked.

When it gets time for me to sell these, I will tell the buyer that fact and if they buy them, they are to know that I have NEVER sent them in for a fix and that they "Might" be affected by this issue.

My advise to you is, once you get this problem solved, don't sell it unless you don't have to. In the future, ask for a reasonable Return Policy, if the seller doesn't offer one or declines one, maybe this might not be the body for you.

I have declined to purchase several D4's this year due to different issues, Price, Payment Options and such, I did buy three D4 bodies here and I was pleased, but I do a lot of research!! I got bit once, I ended up returning the lens, it was defective!! I told him, he either took the lens back or I would ask for a Refund from both Paypal and AMEX!!

That is the reason why I deal with Paypal, and in the future, no more Gift Payments either, the deal must be a killer deal for me to risk something bad happening. Not worth loosing the protection Paypal offers.

I wish you good luck and I hope the body is repaired in a satisfactory manner and that you won't have to pay too much to get it fixed.

Jul 20, 2013 at 01:16 AM
form
• • • •
p.10 #9 · p.10 #9 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

The seller I bought from said basically the same thing you said: Never tested, can't guarantee. He also has a lot of good reviews on FM b&s.

The camera was/is basically like new, less than 2000 clicks, no damage, no scratches, nothing. I verified the shutter count. I doubt it was abused. I believe he never checked it for the focus issue.

I bought the camera for what I thought was a better deal than any I had yet seen, and in fact it is NOT in the range of claimed "affected serial numbers." However, my last D800 WAS in that range of serial numbers...and it did NOT have the AF issue. I sold it stupidly to fund a Canon 5d3.

Jul 20, 2013 at 09:45 PM
Yamil R. Sued
• •
p.10 #10 · p.10 #10 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

form wrote:
The seller I bought from said basically the same thing you said: Never tested, can't guarantee. He also has a lot of good reviews on FM b&s.

The camera was/is basically like new, less than 2000 clicks, no damage, no scratches, nothing. I verified the shutter count. I doubt it was abused. I believe he never checked it for the focus issue.

I bought the camera for what I thought was a better deal than any I had yet seen, and in fact it is NOT in the range of claimed "affected serial numbers." However, my last D800 WAS in that range
...Show more

That is unfortunate.

If I depended on AF for my D800 work, I would have gotten min checked.

Now, what IS the AF issue??

Not that I'll send mine in, I can't justify to send mine in to get something fixed that I never use. It costs so much to Next day UPS a body and Insure it that I would have to send it when it REALLY needs to be sent in. The warranty on both of my bodies is over now, so I don't expect Warranty Repairs on it anyway.

I hope you get it back soon and I hope it performs for you as it has performed for me over the last Year or so, Several Catalogs (Lost Count), 12 Magazine Covers and over 24 Feature Articles.

Y

Jul 20, 2013 at 09:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

form
• • • •
p.10 #11 · p.10 #11 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Left side AF points back focus pretty consistently when other points focus accurately.

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Yamil R. Sued
• •
p.10 #12 · p.10 #12 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

form wrote:
Left side AF points back focus pretty consistently when other points focus accurately.

HUH I might have to look at that, not that it will affect me, but, back in the D2X days, I used to work for a Local Home and Lifestyle Magazine and I used the 17-55 very consistently and when shooting vertical, the farthest Right sensor would back focus with the 17-55, and not with the 28-70. I sent the lens, the Body, the Lens and the Body, I eventually got a new D2X, but gave up on the 17-55 right after that.

Y

Jul 20, 2013 at 11:10 PM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.10 #13 · p.10 #13 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

I think "impact damage" has just become the name of Nikon's most expensive service level. It looks to me like the have just 3 or 4 levels of repair, each with a flat repair rate, the rate depending on which lens is being fixed.

Jul 21, 2013 at 09:59 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.10 #14 · p.10 #14 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

What concerns me is their refusal to return the product if you don't want to repair it (assuming I'm not missing something in the stories I've seen posted here and elsewhere...). That sounds like extortion - has to be borderline illegal...

Jul 22, 2013 at 03:12 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.10 #15 · p.10 #15 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

M635_Guy wrote:
What concerns me is their refusal to return the product if you don't want to repair it (assuming I'm not missing something in the stories I've seen posted here and elsewhere...). That sounds like extortion - has to be borderline illegal...

They told me they would return it unrepaired

Jul 22, 2013 at 03:27 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.10 #16 · p.10 #16 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

RJKphoto wrote:
I think "impact damage" has just become the name of Nikon's most expensive service level. It looks to me like the have just 3 or 4 levels of repair, each with a flat repair rate, the rate depending on which lens is being fixed.

What? You mean like:

- Do Nothing Package
- Check and Clean Package
- Fix Something Package
- Impact Damage Package

Jul 22, 2013 at 07:00 PM
Yamil R. Sued
• •
p.10 #17 · p.10 #17 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

BenV wrote:
They told me they would return it unrepaired

Why

You didn't want to repair it??

You have a camera that is broken...

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:55 PM
MDJAK
• •
p.10 #18 · p.10 #18 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

For a big company like Nikon to be doing that is a sham. People ought to band together, hire an attorney, bring a class action suit. Also tweet your dissatisfaction. Companies follow Twitter and so do many others. They don't like bad publicity.

As for micro cracks or anything else, I've owned over 10 DSLR's and never had a problem with any. Oh, except for one I dropped on concrete. Yeah, that had legitimate impact damage. It was a brand new 1DsII at the time. Cost 600 to replace the cracked top and fix inner focusing issues resulting therefrom. Not bad for a camera that cost 8 grand at the time new.

Jul 22, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Yamil R. Sued
• •
p.10 #19 · p.10 #19 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

MDJAK wrote:
For a big company like Nikon to be doing that is a sham. People ought to band together, hire an attorney, bring a class action suit. Also tweet your dissatisfaction. Companies follow Twitter and so do many others. They don't like bad publicity.

As for micro cracks or anything else, I've owned over 10 DSLR's and never had a problem with any. Oh, except for one I dropped on concrete. Yeah, that had legitimate impact damage. It was a brand new 1DsII at the time. Cost 600 to replace the cracked top and fix inner focusing issues resulting therefrom. Not bad
...Show more

Quick question...

Do you know that all this is true??

The OP didn't get his camera fixed!!

Why should we take his word and automatically Dismiss Nikon as a Crooked company??

I have been an NPS Member for over 26 Years, I have yet to get a bad Repair Diagnosis form them, even when I trashed an F4 with the Concussion of a .50 BMG Rifle!! They fixed it over and over until they finally gave me a Refurb Body when they couldn't fix it anymore!!

Jul 22, 2013 at 11:15 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.10 #20 · p.10 #20 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Where there is smoke, there is fire.

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:33 AM
       11       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

11       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password