Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8      
       10       11       end

Archive 2013 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

bwana

Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #1 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

geniousc wrote:
^^ So them dirty so and so's at Nikon couldn't repair a caved in body. What lousy service, I can't imagine

Seriously if the body casting is bent, it is beyond repair. The owner should not blame Nikon. The casting is the camera. Bend it and you have nothing but flex boards and parts.

The body had no impact damage (except for the chrome mount). There are no dents. The camera body was in a padded backpack and it never impacted anything. They said the frame was cracked-yet no cracks are evident. The LCD is fine and there are no gaps anywhere to indicate a bent/cracked frame. All the buttons are where they should be and none are 'submerged' or misaligned. Is this possible?

Jul 02, 2013 at 07:38 PM
cputeq
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #2 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Gary Irwin wrote:
Better how? In build quality? Doubtful. In capability? Canon has nothing that even comes remotely close to the functionality of the D800. My advice is don't get mad, just make a mental note. If/when someone comes out with a better camera for your needs, you'll know what to do.

I'm late to the party and feel for Ben, hope you get everything resolved, but I just have to comment on this above quote.

How, exactly, does Canon have "nothing that even comes remotely close to the functionality of the D800"?

Let's run down the list, shall we?

1) They both take purdy pichurs.

2) They both take viddyoh.

I mean, yeah Nikon's got it over Canon in including their patented (free of charge) LAFMAPM*, but are we sure we want to count that as "functionality"? Besides, Canon just counters with their included (with EVERY body) PSEP* feature.

So I'd say they're equally competent cameras Unless there's a free foot message mode on the D800 I don't know about, I'd say their "functionality" is summed up in points 1 and 2.

*Left Auto-Focus Micro-Adjustment Practice Mode

*Pushed Shadow Enrichment Patterns

Jul 02, 2013 at 08:05 PM
Hardcore
• • •
p.9 #3 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Yamil, how can you even say the mount was bent? Your making some pretty black and white comments in regards to this. There have been many of us that have sent our cameras into Nikon for autofocus problems only to have them claim impact damage. Sure, parts are replaced, but they are charging us to replace a sub mirror assembly I'm sure of it. Maybe they feel the problem lies with that which makes sense because if the mirror is out of alignment or not square it will cause focus issues.

To say our mint D800's have bent mounts is like us telling you that your camera's mount is also bent even though you claim it isn't I can guarantee many of the users here would look after their 1 nikon d800 better than you look after your multiple cameras.

Anyways, no matter how one feels about it, we really can't change it. I love my d800 and d600 but I do question nikon. Don't think for a second that companies are totally up front about these types of things. They are in it to make money and when mistakes come up, they will do what they can to lower those costs. Companies will not issue a recall until the cost of the lawsuits is greater than the cost of the fix.

My 2 cents....

Yamil R. Sued wrote:
Ben, hate to break it to you, but your body was bent!!

Mount and body front??

You do NOT get that from day to day use

Something bad happened to that body.

I don't think you abused it, but they don't go changing those parts during Ana "A" repair

Jul 03, 2013 at 04:06 AM
MRomine
• • •
p.9 #4 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

leighton w wrote:
Tell them to forget it and have them send it back. Then send it to APS. http://nikoncamerarepair.com/

NPS Service Centers and authorized repair centers such as the one you link to above all seem to have the same Nikon mantra, 'Impact Damage'. Case in point, as an NPS member I used to send gear to Melville for cleaning, lubricating and genreal tweaking. Always used to be below a couple hundred dollars. About 3-4 years ago I sent a 24-70 2.8 to have it cleaned, no apparent problems, got an estimate back that it had 'Impact Damge' and would be $550.00+ for repairs and shipping. Replace zoom roller/guide ring, replace focus mechanism, replace filter ring etc. I called them and said whats the deal it was working fine when I sent it in. They said sorry, impact damge, we can return it to you broken if you don't want us to fix it. Ok, fix it. 12-18 months later I send in the original 70-200 VR 2.8 for cleaning and tweaking, get the same report back as the 24-70, it had never been dropped or banged around. I shoot weddings so my gear gets lots of use but I'm not rough with it at all. $650.00+ repairs for the 70-200. I said that was the last time for Melville I need to find another place. Did lots of searching and asking around and came up with your link above. They are lots closer to me, at least in the same state so shiping is about half as much as to Melville. Initially everything seemed to be better. First sent in a D3 body for sensor cleaing and to replace a rubber grip. Sensor celaning was $65.00, total bill with shipping was aorund $95-100.00. Last winter during the off season I sent in my D4 for sensor cleaing and general maintence. Bill was even less than the D3. I'm thinking fine, I've found my place for repairs, cleaning and maintence. Wrong. Last winter I also sent in my 70-200 VRII for general cleaning and to have one of the the Rubber grips repalced. Estimate comes back like the 70-200 that I sent to Melville, Imapct Damage, $650.00+. Same deal, all was working fine no focus issues just needed to be cleaned and have one of the rubber bands repalced. Argh! Last week I had to send in a different 24-70 than the one mentioned above becasue it was having focus issues, again Imapct Damage, another $565.00. Also sent it to APS above. One lens out of four lenses was actually having focus problems or any isses other than just needing cleaning.

Ever since Nikon stopped supplying parts to third party independant repair shops they have a monopoly. Repair prices have gone through the roof. I also now question their honesty in reporting what is actually wrong.

My reason for making this post is that Authorized Nikon repair shops, such as the one above, are no different than Nikon NPS centers.

Jul 03, 2013 at 01:44 PM
Yamil R. Sued
• •
p.9 #5 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

One place to send gear is CRIS, http://www.criscam.com/

The only issue is that they don't have D4 parts yet!!

I sent my D4 to Melville and got it back repaired under Warranty in 4 days!!

To the OP, I don't know, if you want to PM me your Service Order Number, I can call my contact in Melville, he has been there over 34 years, he knows his way around the shop. He will tell me what was the issue with your body.

Like I have said in the past, I have had TWO impact Damage Repairs, they were both my buddies Lenses, I sent them for him. One, it was a 14-24 that he bounced of the concrete of US AIrways Center prior to a Suns Game, the other he didn't know, but I be someone kicked his lens during Halftime, he left his 200-400 in the baseline standing up and when he came back, it was on it's side and the zoom was jacked up!! I never leave my gear unattended and go get a drink at the Press Room.

I heard the Nikon Repair Prices went up, I can't tell, I haven't sent a body in for a Paid repair yet.

We will see.

Jul 04, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Hardcore
• • •
p.9 #6 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

You may only be getting "impact damage" when warranted because you know someone and they know you @ Melville.

For the rest of us plain folk, I have no doubt Nikon is claiming impact damage when there is none.

Jul 04, 2013 at 02:12 AM
Yamil R. Sued
• •
p.9 #7 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

I can't say one way or another because it has never happened to anyone I know.

All I know is that prices have gone up significantly in the last year

Jul 04, 2013 at 02:14 AM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.9 #8 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Yamil R. Sued wrote:
One place to send gear is CRIS, http://www.criscam.com/

The only issue is that they don't have D4 parts yet!!

I sent my D4 to Melville and got it back repaired under Warranty in 4 days!!

To the OP, I don't know, if you want to PM me your Service Order Number, I can call my contact in Melville, he has been there over 34 years, he knows his way around the shop. He will tell me what was the issue with your body.

Like I have said in the past, I have had TWO impact Damage Repairs, they were both my buddies
...Show more

Who the heck leaves a 200-400 lying around to go pee (or whatever it was) unless they have a trusted friend next to it?

Jul 11, 2013 at 04:14 PM
Yamil R. Sued
• •
p.9 #9 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

MazeRunner wrote:
Who the heck leaves a 200-400 lying around to go pee (or whatever it was) unless they have a trusted friend next to it?

That was my question too!!

But that was what I told him too!!

But it happened, was sent out and was fixed!!

Jul 11, 2013 at 04:18 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.9 #10 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Yamil R. Sued wrote:
I can't say one way or another because it has never happened to anyone I know.

All I know is that prices have gone up significantly in the last year

I'm still waiting for your 'friend' to tell me what happened I provided the information you asked for. I'm guessing you really don't know anyone there.

Jul 11, 2013 at 04:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Yamil R. Sued
• •
p.9 #11 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Where is it??

I haven't seen it!!

PM it to me, I can't ask him if you don't give it to me, I don't live here all day long, I actually DO Photography for a living and I happen to be here editing now!!

PM me!!

I will send it out and YOU will have to live with what he tells me

Jul 11, 2013 at 04:51 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.9 #12 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Yamil R. Sued wrote:
Where is it??

I haven't seen it!!

PM it to me, I can't ask him if you don't give it to me, I don't live here all day long, I actually DO Photography for a living and I happen to be here editing now!!

PM me!!

I will have to live with what he tells me? lol I really don't care to be honest. I already 'live' with it. The case has been closed a while ago. I just find it odd you reply to everything but the information I had.

Jul 11, 2013 at 04:54 PM
Yamil R. Sued
• •
p.9 #13 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

BenV wrote:
I will have to live with what he tells me? lol I really don't care to be honest. I already 'live' with it. The case has been closed a while ago. I just find it odd you reply to everything but the information I had.

Well, you are accusing me of not doing what I was supposed to do.

You are telling us, that WE must believe YOUR word that your camera was NOT damaged and that Nikon USA is Wrong and they purposely overcharged you for Repars that were NOT necessary!!

Send me the Number, let me ask my contacts at NPS, Customer Relations and Nikon Repair!!

What makes YOUR word more valid than Someone at Nikon!!

We are just taking YOUR word at face value that YOUR camera was NOT damaged!!

How do YOU know that YOUR camera wasn't damaged while you were not looking at it?

My gear lives in my office while I'm not on the road. I have seen Nikon gear Impact Damaged while sitting under someones desk overnight?? Yes?? The cleaning person whacked the Camera Bag with the Vacum Cleaner!! I have seen UPS destroy gear on it's way back from Nikon. I have seen tons of odd things in the last 28 years of Professional Photography.

Now, you come here on a public forum and want everyone who can read to believe you and ANYONE who doesn't is immediately supposed to be WRONG!!

You don't have to believe what Nikon says, like you don't have to buy Nikon Gear!!

You were the one who came to me and asked me why I hadn't done what I said I was going to do.

Publish the Service Order Number or PM it to me, I can't do much without that.

Jul 11, 2013 at 05:17 PM
cmarqz

p.9 #14 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Yamil R. Sued wrote:
Publish the Service Order Number or PM it to me, I can't do much without that.

Ben posted it. It's on page 8, third post from the bottom.

Jul 11, 2013 at 08:01 PM
form
• • • •
p.9 #15 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Many reports of the same claim of impact damage by Nikon on like-new cameras where the owner reports no such falls/impacts, combined with an F rating at the BBB and a reported history of generally poor Nikon factory repair performance over the course of several years...

Those sound like supportive evidence that Nikon is hurting and trying to cut costs by tagging consumers with a convenient, generalized claim of impact damage to void the warranty and charge for repair of defective equipment.

It would not be the first time a corporation has done similar things.

Jul 11, 2013 at 09:24 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.9 #16 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

runamuck wrote:
Methinks Nikon slimmed down the metal casting to save weight, and they went too thin. Now it's coming back to bite them.

No, it is coming back to bite Nikon's customers. Nikon is doing quite well charging for all this "impact" damage.

Jul 12, 2013 at 01:49 AM
Steve Park
• • •
p.9 #17 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Here's the service order number OP provided;

Check it out S/O# 6163176 

I had my left AF issue fixed without any impact damage claim. But I too want to know what your contact would find out for OP's case.

Yamil R. Sued wrote:
Where is it??

I haven't seen it!!

PM me!!

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:39 PM
RKH
• • •
p.9 #18 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

My sympathy. I only hope I never have to go through the same agony. I have dealt with Morton Groves APS and never had any issues. Long live Morton Grove.

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:27 PM
form
• • • •
p.9 #19 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

I received a D800 purchased new a few months ago through B&H by another FMer, and it has the left side AF issue. Serial 3066xxx - it's the same AF problem as my first D800 (though my second D800 did NOT have the issue).

I am going through the motions of getting it shipped to Nikon right now. I will be simply pissed off if they throw some BS at me about impact damage, etc.

Jul 17, 2013 at 06:50 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.9 #20 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

form wrote:
I received a D800 purchased new a few months ago through B&H by another FMer, and it has the left side AF issue. Serial 3066xxx - it's the same AF problem as my first D800 (though my second D800 did NOT have the issue).

I am going through the motions of getting it shipped to Nikon right now. I will be simply pissed off if they throw some BS at me about impact damage, etc.

All I'll say is good luck

Jul 17, 2013 at 07:06 PM
       10       11       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

10       11       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password