Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       8              10       11       end

Archive 2013 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Well, for what its worth, the repair center I sent it in to has an 'F' rating...

http://www.bbb.org/new-york-city/business-reviews/manufacturers-and-producers/nikon-inc-in-melville-ny-20357

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:48 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Ben, that is dishearting! You'd think they'd want to maintain a really good BBB rating. Ugh.

Jun 27, 2013 at 02:02 PM
Yamil R. Sued
• • •
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

BenV wrote:
By the way I packaged it. I few pages ago I mentioned how it was done. It would literally survive a fall down the grand canyon or being hit by a car

NOt with UPS Bro, When Nikon USA returned my D3 and MY 70-200 VRII back to me, the body was wrapped in about 6' of BIG Ball Bubble Wrap and the lens was inside it's Case and about 4' of Thick Bubble Wrap, the lens hit the body so hard that it bent the Hot Shoe!! I have photos of the box if you want to see them!!

BTW, I have seen a Flat F5 and an AR-15 Rifle Cut in two pieces by the geniuses at UPS!!

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:42 PM
Yamil R. Sued
• • •
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

form wrote:
Can these infractions be reported to an entity like the BBB or some larger corporate monitor that investigates seeming fraudulent infractions? Nikon might not like that.

Are you a Lawyer??

Do you know what constitutes Fraud??

Getting a body with a Bent Mount and calling it Impact Damage IS NOT Fraud!!

Now, accusing someone falsely of Fraud can be Slander or Libel!!

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:44 PM
Yamil R. Sued
• • •
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

mco_970 wrote:
Ben, that is dishearting! You'd think they'd want to maintain a really good BBB rating. Ugh.

BBB is useless, I have seen companies with a super Duper AAAA Rating and they SUCK!!

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:45 PM
Yamil R. Sued
• • •
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

BenV wrote:
Well, for what its worth, the repair center I sent it in to has an 'F' rating...

http://www.bbb.org/new-york-city/business-reviews/manufacturers-and-producers/nikon-inc-in-melville-ny-20357

This is for Nikon as a Company, not the Repair Center, Nikon USA is in Melville, NY!!

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:46 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

I can tell you right now. Part of the left hand focus issue or all focus issue has something to do with the sub mirror assembly being out of alignment.

Nikon is claiming impact damage to the mount in order to cover the costs of the repair. If you bitch long and hard enough, you may get this covered by warranty.

My camera's sub mirror was replaced when they told me my mount was bent due to impact damage. (sent it in for focus issue) I fought it.... they replaced under warranty.

Got my camera back and a pin fell out of the sub mirror and the whole mirror was loose. Sent it in again. They claimed impact damage again. Escalated to supervisor and I found out the sub-mirror was replaced along with "bent mount" I asked why? They said they had too.... maybe they do, but it seemed fishy.

They knew they were caught so they replaced the sub-mirror and mount AGAIN. Still could not focus so they gave me a new camera.

I could be wrong with my assessment on how this all works, but it makes sense to me.

Jun 27, 2013 at 05:17 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Thought I owed it to everyone who replied to update them on my status. Finally got the camera back, everything seems to be working fine. Only lens that has problems now is the Sigma 35 (which has already been sent in to repair once to get 'fixed'). All my other lenses focus properly now with all AF points.

Jul 01, 2013 at 08:49 AM
Grantland
• • • •
p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

BenV wrote:
Thought I owed it to everyone who replied to update them on my status. Finally got the camera back, everything seems to be working fine. Only lens that has problems now is the Sigma 35 (which has already been sent in to repair once to get 'fixed'). All my other lenses focus properly now with all AF points.

excellent!

Jul 01, 2013 at 09:43 AM
Yamil R. Sued
• • •
p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

BenV wrote:

I'm glad you got your body back, what did it say on the Repair Form, NOT the Intake Form, but FINAL REPAIR FORM that came with the body.

What's wrong with your Sigma lens??

Jul 01, 2013 at 10:18 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Yamil R. Sued wrote:
I'm glad you got your body back, what did it say on the Repair Form, NOT the Intake Form, but FINAL REPAIR FORM that came with the body.

What's wrong with your Sigma lens??

"Per Nikon's service records beside replacing the damaged Bayonet mount and Front Body unit, the D800 Auto Focus Operations were adjusted as well. the D800 was then given a general check and clean before shipping."

The Sigma lens still doesn't focus properly. Sometime's its back focusing, sometimes it's front. The outer points are still unusable. After an hour of testing (and fine tuning) my other lenses, the Sigma is the only one not even close to acceptable. If I get bored later I'll post some samples of the Nikon 16-35 vs. Sigma 35 @ f/4. Even at f/4 the results are unacceptable, I'm not even going to bother with f/1.4.

Edited on Jul 01, 2013 at 10:49 AM · View previous versions

Jul 01, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Yamil R. Sued
• • •
p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

If they replaced the Mount and the Fron t Body Unit, there was something VERY WRONG with your body!!

I had two D3 Bodies with over 250K Actuations each and they never had that much done to them!!

I own a Sigma 150 Macro and it is a great performer. Keep us posted on what Sigma says about it.
Y

Jul 01, 2013 at 10:47 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Yamil R. Sued wrote:
If they replaced the Mount and the Fron t Body Unit, there was something VERY WRONG with your body!!

I had two D3 Bodies with over 250K Actuations each and they never had that much done to them!!

I own a Sigma 150 Macro and it is a great performer. Keep us posted on what Sigma says about it.
Y

I asked them exactly what that meant, but the person I spoke with really had no idea. Last time I sent the Sigma in it came back pretty quick, about a week or so from shipping to back on my door step. I'm tempted to wait and see if the USB dock fixes the issue. I've got one on preorder with the 120-300 anyways.

Jul 01, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Yamil R. Sued
• • •
p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

The 150 I have is the Older version, the NON OS. I got it here used for a little over $500

My OS is called a Tripod!!

If I could find another one, I would be thrilled!!

Jul 01, 2013 at 11:02 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.7 #15 · p.7 #15 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Here's a reply I got from Sigma just a bit ago:

Hello Ben,
If the lens is not functioning on the perimeter focus points but is working on the center focus point then it is functioning correctly for now. At a later date we will have a firmware update for the lens to address the perimeter focus point trouble.
Yours Truly,
Paul Pizzano
Sigma Corporation of America

Jul 01, 2013 at 02:10 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.7 #16 · p.7 #16 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

BenV wrote:
Here's a reply I got from Sigma just a bit ago:

Hello Ben,
If the lens is not functioning on the perimeter focus points but is working on the center focus point then it is functioning correctly for now. At a later date we will have a firmware update for the lens to address the perimeter focus point trouble.
Yours Truly,
Paul Pizzano
Sigma Corporation of America

SO that sucks. So they are selling a lens that will be fixed via a firmware update at an undisclosed time in the near or distant future?

Jul 01, 2013 at 02:22 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.7 #17 · p.7 #17 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Dustin Gent wrote:
SO that sucks. So they are selling a lens that will be fixed via a firmware update at an undisclosed time in the near or distant future?

Pretty much. It's weird that some users with the D800/Sigma 35 have no problems, while others do. I asked the rep "So I'm stuck with the problem, unless I buy the USB dock, which isn't even available?"

To which they replied:
"Hello Ben,
At the moment the firmware isn’t available either but when it is we will update it for you should you choose not to purchase the USB dock.
Yours Truly,
Paul Pizzano
Sigma Corporation of America"

Jul 01, 2013 at 02:25 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.7 #18 · p.7 #18 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

I've been considering the Sigma 35 for my D800, but I will wait a bit for the new firmware.

Jul 01, 2013 at 03:01 PM
Gene_C
• • • •
p.7 #19 · p.7 #19 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

^^ I have one Sigma 35 1.4 for Canon 5D3 and Nikon D800. My lenses both take about a plus one or so on the MFA. Either would work fine with no adjustments at all. There is no sharper 35mm. In respect to absolute focus repeatability, I find them every bit as repeatable as a Nikkor focal length for focal length. No problems with outer focus points. But I do admit I am not expecting the exact same sharpness at the edge as in the center at 1.4.

gene

Jul 01, 2013 at 03:52 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.7 #20 · p.7 #20 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

geniousc wrote:
^^ I have one Sigma 35 1.4 for Canon 5D3 and Nikon D800. My lenses both take about a plus one or so on the MFA. Either would work fine with no adjustments at all. There is no sharper 35mm. In respect to absolute focus repeatability, I find them every bit as repeatable as a Nikkor focal length for focal length. No problems with outer focus points. But I do admit I am not expecting the exact same sharpness at the edge as in the center at 1.4.

gene

I wish I could say the same. I do love my primes, I'll be waiting for my USB dock to arrive and hopefully it fixes the issue.

Jul 01, 2013 at 04:20 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.