Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              10       11       end

Archive 2013 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

woos
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Man, that's awful I'm sorry.

I sent mine in for the left AF issue when I first got it (they were way off). They sent it back repaired perfectly, thank god. They were really, really, slow, though. And when I received it back it was packaged horribly. Really don't get it. Tamron took like 5 days to repair my gf's lens and it cost almost nothing. Someone needs to hit Nikon with a class action suit for that crap.

Jun 21, 2013 at 02:11 AM
geniousc
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

I took my D800 to Nikon LA Monday. I just got an email from Nikon, no charge and scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. 4 days

gene

Jun 21, 2013 at 02:18 AM
jberry
• •
p.4 #3 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

About almost 3 years ago, I had a Nikon 24-70, my zoom ring got very stiff and from doing research online it seemed like a common problem, I tried to get it under warranty but they told me , of course, "Impact Damage" , I emailed two different Nikon Authorized repair centers, I gotta dig up my emails which ones, but they both beleived I dropped the lens and said "Impact Damage", so I took matters in my own hands and repaired the Nikon 24-70 lens and made a video on youtube on how to do it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tYLKFUWP68

Jun 21, 2013 at 06:17 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

geniousc wrote:
I took my D800 to Nikon LA Monday. I just got an email from Nikon, no charge and scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. 4 days

gene

seems to be the people that can deal with them in person, they don't claim impact damage... interesting.

Jun 21, 2013 at 01:58 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.4 #5 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

jberry wrote:
About almost 3 years ago, I had a Nikon 24-70, my zoom ring got very stiff and from doing research online it seemed like a common problem, I tried to get it under warranty but they told me , of course, "Impact Damage" , I emailed two different Nikon Authorized repair centers, I gotta dig up my emails which ones, but they both beleived I dropped the lens and said "Impact Damage", so I took matters in my own hands and repaired the Nikon 24-70 lens and made a video on youtube on how to do it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tYLKFUWP68

haha, if I had that kind of disposable income I would definitely give it a try.

Jun 21, 2013 at 01:59 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

woos wrote:
Man, that's awful I'm sorry.

I sent mine in for the left AF issue when I first got it (they were way off). They sent it back repaired perfectly, thank god. They were really, really, slow, though. And when I received it back it was packaged horribly. Really don't get it. Tamron took like 5 days to repair my gf's lens and it cost almost nothing. Someone needs to hit Nikon with a class action suit for that crap.

Indeed. I'm not sure how much more complex bodies are than lenses, but I've had two lenses repaired before (one canon, one sigma) and both took about a week and a half turn around time. From shipping to back on my door step.

Jun 21, 2013 at 02:00 PM
Hardcore
• • •
p.4 #7 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Sorry to hear Ben! I have been fighting with nikon basically since I received my D800. Sent it in to fix autofocus problem and came back with "impact damage" as well. Fought tooth and nail and asked for photos and the mount back. They finally did the repair for free but did not send the mount back. Photos did show a slight bend in a mount, but I asked them to show me the serial number of my camera to prove it was mine on the test bench. I demanded to have the bent mount back, but they never sent it back to me. I think they eventually realized I was not going to bend over for them so they covered it under warranty and claimed they were doing me a huge favor! What a joke.

When I got the camera back I tested again for autofocus issue. It still required +20 so I emailed them immediately telling them I would have to send the camera back in, but needed it for a month or so until things slowed down. I then sent the camera in when I tested the camera before a wedding and the autofocus was basically useless. Would not even focus. I opened the camera and the mirror was a bit loose so I told them that and sent the camera back in.

They claimed impact damage again and told me impact damage caused the mirror assembly screw to fall out. If I didn't have that email saying the autofocus was still screwed and I would have to send it in again I wouldn't have gotten anywhere. I escalated my issue to a supervisor. They reluctantly repaired the camera again.

It is such a scam! We have no recourse as owners against this type of fraud. They replaced the sub-mirror assembly when they replace the front mount.

I for one think:

1. The Nikon mount is very very weak and cannot stand up to everyday normal use.

or

2. The mounts are not perfect out of factory and when tested on their bench test out of spec and they push the cost back to customer as impact damge.

or.

3. They know there is nothing wrong with the mount, but costs are runnign too high to repair the focus issues on the d800 so they have been told to claim impact damage for most of the focus issues to offset the repair costs.

Jun 21, 2013 at 06:14 PM
Hardcore
• • •
p.4 #8 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

P.S. Now I take photos from every angle of my mount with multiple lenses attached before I send it in to show that the mounts is tight on the lenses. That is basically what they have in their test bench. A solid metal mount that shows any errors in the mount. It at least would make the judge question their claim and would be good evidence for nikon to just repair the damn camera under warranty like they should!

Jun 21, 2013 at 06:22 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.4 #9 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

It would be interesting if someone bought a set of D800's and documented their condition (i.e., they had no impact damage) and sent them in to various Nikon repair facilities for AF adjustment to see if any "impact damage" claims are made.

If they did claim impact damage on a documented brand new condition camera there would be lawsuits . . . . .

Anyone have a spare $12K or so to fork over for 4 brand new D800s?

Jun 21, 2013 at 06:48 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.4 #10 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Hardcore wrote:
Sorry to hear Ben! I have been fighting with nikon basically since I received my D800. Sent it in to fix autofocus problem and came back with "impact damage" as well. Fought tooth and nail and asked for photos and the mount back. They finally did the repair for free but did not send the mount back. Photos did show a slight bend in a mount, but I asked them to show me the serial number of my camera to prove it was mine on the test bench. I demanded to have the bent mount back, but they never sent
...Show more

I'd be willing to bet its #3. My faith is really shaken with Nikon

Jun 21, 2013 at 07:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

geniousc
• • •
p.4 #11 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Hardcore wrote:
Sorry to hear Ben! I have been fighting with nikon basically since I received my D800. Sent it in to fix autofocus problem and came back with "impact damage" as well. Fought tooth and nail and asked for photos and the mount back. They finally did the repair for free but did not send the mount back. Photos did show a slight bend in a mount, but I asked them to show me the serial number of my camera to prove it was mine on the test bench. I demanded to have the bent mount back, but they never sent
...Show more

The F mount has stood the test of time since the 1950's, why all of a sudden is it not good? I don't think that's it. Maybe 3 though

gene

Jun 21, 2013 at 07:30 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.4 #12 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

jhinkey wrote:
It would be interesting if someone bought a set of D800's and documented their condition (i.e., they had no impact damage) and sent them in to various Nikon repair facilities for AF adjustment to see if any "impact damage" claims are made.

If they did claim impact damage on a documented brand new condition camera there would be lawsuits . . . . .

Anyone have a spare $12K or so to fork over for 4 brand new D800s?

A while back I sent some brand-new lenses in straight out of the shipping box - they were tough to get and at the time I thought better to have them repaired then to return them and wait until there was more in stock. I got two impact damage and went up the food chain with absolutely no response other than "in that case you should contact the shipper who shipped them to you and make a claim for damages".

I expect that would be their defense if anyone did file a lawsuit and I don't know how you'd absolutely prove it wasn't shipping.

Jun 21, 2013 at 07:38 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.4 #13 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

geniousc wrote:
The F mount has stood the test of time since the 1950's, why all of a sudden is it not good? I don't think that's it. Maybe 3 though

gene

Gene - the F-mount is just a coupling spec. How robustly they execute that mount varies widely within their model range, as does the case build that can support the mount.

Jun 21, 2013 at 09:04 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.4 #14 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

M635_Guy wrote:
Gene - the F-mount is just a coupling spec. How robustly they execute that mount varies widely within their model range, as does the case build that can support the mount.

Also the quality of the metal being used in the mount. I'm curious as to what the mount is actually made of.

Jun 21, 2013 at 09:13 PM
geniousc
• • •
p.4 #15 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

^^

Working in the metal and heat treating industry for a good portion of my life, I would bet on it being stainless. It has all of the characteristics. Non magnetic and grabby when you mount a lens. Stainless never slides well against another metal.

I recieved my D800 today from repair. It was in a good sized box surrounded by foam peanuts, lots of them. The body itself was wrapped in bubble wrap and then put back into my Crown Royal bag used for dropoff , expertly tied with the braided rope. Very impressive. I must say I'm pleased with the work done.
The paperwork did say "Checked Body Flange Back", focus check and all of the usual. When I dropped it off I asked for the left focus check even though I never had the issue.

gene

Jun 21, 2013 at 10:11 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.4 #16 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

RCicala wrote:
A while back I sent some brand-new lenses in straight out of the shipping box - they were tough to get and at the time I thought better to have them repaired then to return them and wait until there was more in stock. I got two impact damage and went up the food chain with absolutely no response other than "in that case you should contact the shipper who shipped them to you and make a claim for damages".

I expect that would be their defense if anyone did file a lawsuit and I don't know how you'd absolutely
...Show more

I assumed that a new lens that was documented to be un-opened in a damage-free box could not sustain any type of impact damage from shipping. You'd have to document everything 8-different ways and then write an article about it in some famous/high circulation media type (print or online).
Then you'd never get good service from Nikon again . . . . and perhaps get some calls from people that have law degrees and are paid by Nikon

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Tim Ashton
• • • •
p.4 #17 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

It appears that if shipping one has to take photos from all angles and have someone sign a stat dec declaring item to be in mint physical condition
This is getting ridiculous. One bad experience published will negate the positive effect of hundreds of good results
One has to wonder about the execs presiding over this mess
Tim

Jun 22, 2013 at 01:06 AM
bwana

p.4 #18 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

I recently slipped while hiking and fell to the sitting position onto my ass. The D800 with 80-200 vr2 was in a backpack mounted horizontally. The backpack itself did not impact the ground. I was surprised to see that the lens had ripped out of the mount which was cracked. Not only did Nikon say there was impact damage, but they said the camera frame was cracked rendering the camera unrepairable. Amazing that 5g for a few milliseconds could be terminal to a camera from a company that once had 'rugged' associated with it.

Jun 25, 2013 at 05:36 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.4 #19 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

geniousc wrote:
When I dropped it off I asked for the left focus check even though I never had the issue.

gene

BAM! There's your "Impact Damage".

Keep in mind that while the F mount has been around for a long time, lens have grew in size and weight. The D600 kit lens now weighs more than the high-end Nikkors of the 80s and 90s. Let alone large aperture modern primes.

So with all these so-called flimsy mount, how does one supposed to mount a lens to modern Nikon cameras? With slow delicate finesse? Can you imagine PJs doing that in the heat of the battle?!

Jun 25, 2013 at 06:55 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.4 #20 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Nikon has shifted their mount production from Japan to China in 2010 before the great tsunami of 2011.

Jun 25, 2013 at 07:03 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password