Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              10       11       end

Archive 2013 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

M Lucca
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Someone should do a slow motion close up video of a Nikkor lens attaching to a D800 mount. Boing! Impact Damage!

Jun 20, 2013 at 04:55 PM
Grantland
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

BenV wrote:
if I switch, Canon might not be any better? )

I lived with Canon for 10 years being a CPS member and I sent many items to their service centers. I never had an any issues. Send your body in on Monday and shoot on Friday. CPS is excellent!

Grant

Jun 20, 2013 at 05:23 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Grantland wrote:
I lived with Canon for 10 years being a CPS member and I sent many items to their service centers. I never had an any issues. Send your body in on Monday and shoot on Friday. CPS is excellent!

Grant

They've improved their service somewhat - now it's send it in Monday and be shooting by Wednesday if you're a Platinum member.

Jun 20, 2013 at 05:27 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

M Lucca wrote:
Someone should do a slow motion close up video of a Nikkor lens attaching to a D800 mount. Boing! Impact Damage!

I was always suspicious of that *click* when it locks, now I know it's just from stress on the mount

Jun 20, 2013 at 05:28 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

molson wrote:
They've improved their service somewhat - now it's send it in Monday and be shooting by Wednesday if you're a Platinum member.

That great service, but I doubt I'd qualify.

Jun 20, 2013 at 05:28 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.3 #6 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Grantland wrote:

Grant

Maybe OB should for kicks send the D800 into Canon to see if they would 'accidentally' fix it.

Jun 20, 2013 at 06:45 PM
geniousc
• • •
p.3 #7 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

BenV wrote:
This is a rant, make no mistake the sole purpose of this thread is to express my frustration right now. I was debating selling my D800 a few weeks ago. Decided to really test it out and noticed I had the outer AF issues. I sent it in to Nikon and low and behold I get "impact damage". I ask them exactly how it has impact damage, when its in mint condition. All they can tell me is the bayonet mount is damaged and needs to be replaced. Price is $250. It's never seen as much as a bump. Body
...Show more

That is weird! I took my D800 in this week to the Nikon Wilshire Blvd LA facility for a clean, check, and check for left quadrant focus issue. The clerk on the desk was as polite as could be addressing me by Mr. etc. etc. telling me it would be a about a week before they shipped it back. I recieved an email that evening telling me it would be serviced under warranty. Up until now it can't be any better. Of course the fat lady hasn't sung yet either.
I wonder if this impact damage thing is just one person's agenda or what. It could be. I would do what binary visions said and demand a supervisor. That is pure BS.

gene

Jun 20, 2013 at 07:35 PM
geniousc
• • •
p.3 #8 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

^^ I would also demand the impact damaged part back and show it to your Nikon District mgr. that is if you end up having to pay for the repair.

gene

Jun 20, 2013 at 07:55 PM
zippy_monster
• •
p.3 #9 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

I wonder how much of the impact damage is due to poor quality control or poor packaging.

Jun 20, 2013 at 08:09 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

geniousc wrote:
^^ I would also demand the impact damaged part back and show it to your Nikon District mgr. that is if you end up having to pay for the repair.

gene

I had no choice but to pay for it or get a faulty camera back. I'm definitely demanding the part back. I'm not through with them

Jun 20, 2013 at 08:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.3 #11 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

BenV wrote:
I had no choice but to pay for it or get a faulty camera back. I'm definitely demanding the part back. I'm not through with them

But it sounds they will just be replacing the mount, which is not the cause of the famous AF error. You'll be getting the camera back with the same problem.

Jun 20, 2013 at 08:26 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

zippy_monster wrote:
I wonder how much of the impact damage is due to poor quality control or poor packaging.

well if you're refering to my shipping to them, here's a quote from something I sold recently: "And to top it all off, The best packed items I have ever received. ".

I work as a quality control inspector for an aviation company. I make sure hundred thousand dollar parts are packed well all the time. Everything I ship out gets at least 3 inches of bubble wrap, with that inside of at least 5 inches of customized packing foam. I'd put money on it that it would survive a fall from a plane.

yeah I'm OCD, but whatever

Jun 20, 2013 at 08:27 PM
zippy_monster
• •
p.3 #13 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

BenV wrote:
well if you're refering to my shipping to them, here's a quote from something I sold recently: "And to top it all off, The best packed items I have ever received. ".

I work as a quality control inspector for an aviation company. I make sure hundred thousand dollar parts are packed well all the time. Everything I ship out gets at least 3 inches of bubble wrap, with that inside of at least 5 inches of customized packing foam. I'd put money on it that it would survive a fall from a plane.

yeah I'm OCD, but whatever

Not just you, but anyone. Was the equipment damaged between Nikon and the retailer? Damaged before it left the factory? When I sent my lens to Sigma, I was shocked to see that Sigma used less protective packaging than Amazon did...

Jun 20, 2013 at 08:34 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Nathan Padgett wrote:
But it sounds they will just be replacing the mount, which is not the cause of the famous AF error. You'll be getting the camera back with the same problem.

Well when I sent it in, the note and the letter specifically state the AF sensor is horrible out of focus and when I spoke to them they mentioned something about the AF module. I do need to call back and make sure it gets fixed right the first time. I'd hate to send it in again. I need to clear up exactly what they are doing, I forgot the specifics due to my frustration of being 'scammed'.

Jun 20, 2013 at 08:35 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

zippy_monster wrote:
Not just you, but anyone. Was the equipment damaged between Nikon and the retailer? Damaged before it left the factory? When I sent my lens to Sigma, I was shocked to see that Sigma used less protective packaging than Amazon did...

ah yeah, I've had some boxes that make me wonder how they left the seller like that. a 10x10x10 box, a 4 inch part rolling around inside.

Jun 20, 2013 at 08:37 PM
Wilfredo
• • •
p.3 #16 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Scary stuff. Thinking of coming over to Nikon from Canon but me no likes this! I thought Leica had issues?

Jun 20, 2013 at 09:12 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

BenV wrote:
Well when I sent it in, the note and the letter specifically state the AF sensor is horrible out of focus and when I spoke to them they mentioned something about the AF module. I do need to call back and make sure it gets fixed right the first time. I'd hate to send it in again. I need to clear up exactly what they are doing, I forgot the specifics due to my frustration of being 'scammed'.

Don't mean to quote myself, but its a continuation to your answer. According to the Nikon rep, the bayonet mount and front body unit are being replaced. I then asked "why my camera was sent in" and they read my letter to me about not auto-focusing on the outer points. So I'm HOPING they fix it the first time.

Jun 20, 2013 at 09:24 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.3 #18 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

I e-mailed Thom Hogan and asked about this phenomenon. He said Nikon is taking photos of damaged called out in their quotes. He recommended requesting the photos of the "damage".

Seems like I saw a thread here that had those types of photos from the repair center.

Jun 20, 2013 at 09:58 PM
Robin Casady
• •
p.3 #19 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

I've been hearing reports of "impact damage" for cameras sent to Melville, but not so much for Los Angeles. You Easterners must be awfully hard on your cameras.

If you ask for the photos of the damage (as per Thom Hogan's suggestion) I hope you will let us know what you see.

Jun 21, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Ho1972
• • •
p.3 #20 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

zippy_monster wrote:
When I sent my lens to Sigma, I was shocked to see that Sigma used less protective packaging than Amazon did...

Well Nikon is no champ when it comes to packing either. I sent a body and two lenses in for CLA and they were double boxed by me for the trip to Melville. For the ride home, they were tossed in a box with some foam peanuts and a couple of air pillows and one of the lenses suffered "impact damage" as a result. Fortunately, this was before Nikon started using impact damage as an excuse to avoid warranty claims so my lens was repaired without any threats of violence on my part.

Jun 21, 2013 at 12:47 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password