Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              10       11       end

Archive 2013 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Gary Irwin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

BenV wrote:
Thanks, my only problem is I think if I switch, Canon might not be any better? And the D800 is pretty much the perfect camera for me, only if it had sRAW (sNEF?)

Better how? In build quality? Doubtful. In capability? Canon has nothing that even comes remotely close to the functionality of the D800. My advice is don't get mad, just make a mental note. If/when someone comes out with a better camera for your needs, you'll know what to do.

Jun 18, 2013 at 09:52 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Gary Irwin wrote:
Better how? In build quality? Doubtful. In capability? Canon has nothing that even comes remotely close to the functionality of the D800. My advice is don't get mad, just make a mental note. If/when someone comes out with a better camera for your needs, you'll know what to do.

Yeah, right now it's just frustration. unfortunately nobody else has a true D800 competitor I love the DR

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:59 PM
dbr403
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

To go against the grain here but I'd be surprised if you didn't bend the mound without evening knowing you did it. In the past I have done it with both Canon and Nikon bodies without even realizing it, even a millimeter or two you'll have focus issues. You don't have to drop these things on to concrete and have a cracked body to have a bent lens mount. In my experience they will send the old parts back for you to inspect if you ask them. I think Nikon finding what is wrong with the camera, replacing a mount and shipping it back for $250 is a pretty good deal.
Excuse me while I go duck for cover :-)

Jun 19, 2013 at 01:26 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

dbr403 wrote:
To go against the grain here but I'd be surprised if you didn't bend the mound without evening knowing you did it. In the past I have done it with both Canon and Nikon bodies without even realizing it, even a millimeter or two you'll have focus issues. You don't have to drop these things on to concrete and have a cracked body to have a bent lens mount. In my experience they will send the old parts back for you to inspect if you ask them. I think Nikon finding what is wrong with the camera, replacing a
...Show more

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I don't attack anyone for that But assuming it is possible to bend during normal use, that's pretty poor manufacturing and designing. I couldn't even imagine the abuse a pro would put on the body. I'm incredibly careful with my gear, I just expect for $3000 to have a camera that can handle a normal lens without damaging the mount. I'd understand if I slapped a 600 f/4 on their and carried it around my should all day, but the heaviest lens I own is the 300 f/4 and whenever I use that, it's always via tripod collar on a tripod. Nikon just seems shady. I've seen all the horror stories but figured it was just people complaining, I guess now I know

Canon has a rumored D800 competitor, lets see what happens with that.

Jun 19, 2013 at 01:42 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

BenV wrote:
Thanks, my only problem is I think if I switch, Canon might not be any better? And the D800 is pretty much the perfect camera for me, only if it had sRAW (sNEF?)

The D800 is a wonderfull cam and mine was all the better once fixed. I can tell you from experience that the Canon 5 dmk III is an equally amazing peice of equipment with each brand having a few advantages over the other. I use my D800 for landscapes, some interiors, and some studio while my Canon is for everything else. I love both. The Canon does get more use but that's mainly because of the responsiveness of the camera and the less work I have to do when editing the RAW files.

Jun 19, 2013 at 02:16 PM
SAng
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

My buddy's 9-month old D4 had the mis-aligned aperture lever problem. You guessed it... 'impact damage' and Nikon Canada charged him $750+HST to fix it. I've never known him to mistreat his gear and believe him that there was no cause he knew that impact damage could have occurred.

Also see this: http://www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=41311

Another victim. I don't even have any service issues currently and I'm not happy. Hear ya, is all I can say...

Jun 19, 2013 at 03:11 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

SAng wrote:
My buddy's 9-month old D4 had the mis-aligned aperture lever problem. You guessed it... 'impact damage' and Nikon Canada charged him $750+HST to fix it. I've never known him to mistreat his gear and believe him that there was no cause he knew that impact damage could have occurred.

Also see this: http://www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=41311

Another victim. I don't even have any service issues currently and I'm not happy. Hear ya, is all I can say...

From the research I've done, it sounds like a scam they are running. How can Nikon get away with this? There has to be something that can be done.

Jun 19, 2013 at 04:46 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

binary visions wrote:
My response to an answer I don't like in customer service is always, "let me speak to your supervisor."

It's a pretty rare case where I don't get some kind of resolution I'm satisfied with.

+1 This is the very best route for anything - although I have never had a problem with Nikon Service.

Jun 19, 2013 at 05:04 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

lukeb wrote:
+1 This is the very best route for anything - although I have never had a problem with Nikon Service.

Supervisor told me the same thing. Basically this is the price to fix it, or you can have your camera back.

Jun 19, 2013 at 05:14 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

I forget who said this before (someone identify the original post please, I couldn't find it), but one of the best lines I've seen on FM was:

"Nikon customer service. How can we not help you today?"

Jun 19, 2013 at 05:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

snapsy
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

RCicala wrote:
I forget who said this before (someone identify the original post please, I couldn't find it), but one of the best lines I've seen on FM was:

haha, I chuckled then thought that sounds like something I would say. Took some google digging but found it

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1212818/0#11556750

Jun 19, 2013 at 06:13 PM
Two23
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

RCicala wrote:

More like,
"Nikon customer service. How can we screw you over this time?"

Kent in SD

Jun 19, 2013 at 06:16 PM
davidnholtjr
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

BenV wrote:
This is a rant, make no mistake the sole purpose of this thread is to express my frustration right now. I was debating selling my D800 a few weeks ago. Decided to really test it out and noticed I had the outer AF issues. I sent it in to Nikon and low and behold I get "impact damage". I ask them exactly how it has impact damage, when its in mint condition. All they can tell me is the bayonet mount is damaged and needs to be replaced. Price is $250. It's never seen as much as a bump. Body
...Show more

This sucks.

I have a 300/4 AF-S that is in warranty (less then a year old) and it's squeaking real bad and needs to be fixed. Now I fear I'm going to get the same thing you got "impact damage". I think I'll just send it to APS instead of Nikon.

Jun 19, 2013 at 06:56 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

I'm willing to bet there are a lot of lawyers holding meetings on how to attack Nikon with a class action lawsuit. I would NOT buy any Nikon stock right now.

Could someone please inform mister Nikon I have purchased my last piece of Nikon gear?

Jun 19, 2013 at 07:09 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

It is now pretty much mandatory to test the heck out of a new piece of gear to pick up any problems both because of this 'impact damage' silliness and nikon's QC. If there are any problems or doubt return to the retailer and exchange or re-buy somewhere else rather than dealing with nikon and risking this.

Of course if problems crop up later you are SOL.

Jun 19, 2013 at 07:46 PM
Hulot
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

It is so stupid of them. It is these kind of reports which made me buy a D800 and get Tamron and Sigma lenses with it. 2 Sigma, 1 Tami, 1 Nikon lens. Hope you find a satisfying solution for you

Jun 19, 2013 at 10:49 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

That sucks. NikonUSA is performing pretty poorly these days when it comes to PR and customer relations/service...

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:09 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

Hulot wrote:
It is so stupid of them. It is these kind of reports which made me buy a D800 and get Tamron and Sigma lenses with it. 2 Sigma, 1 Tami, 1 Nikon lens. Hope you find a satisfying solution for you

That's been my solution, too: if Nikon clearly has the best gear (D800, etc.) I'll buy it, but if all things are close otherwise, I buy third party.

One thing that's interesting (to me at least), given the number of repairs I deal with, I know someone at almost every repair center. Two of them have told me in the last month that they've consciously made decisions to improve service because they see it as an opportunity to differentiate themselves from Nikon. Tamron, for example, promises 3 day turnaround on every repair. They started about the time Nikon repairs were taking a month.

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:15 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

RCicala wrote:
That's been my solution, too: if Nikon clearly has the best gear (D800, etc.) I'll buy it, but if all things are close otherwise, I buy third party.

One thing that's interesting (to me at least), given the number of repairs I deal with, I know someone at almost every repair center. Two of them have told me in the last month that they've consciously made decisions to improve service because they see it as an opportunity to differentiate themselves from Nikon. Tamron, for example, promises 3 day turnaround on every repair. They started about the time Nikon repairs were
...Show more

When I sent my Sigma 35 in to get repaired (thought it would be better to be safe than sorry with the issues they've had), it took just over a week from the time I shipped it out to having it back with no 'impact damage' fees.

Jun 20, 2013 at 01:08 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · I'm Nikons latest victim.

dbr403 wrote:
To go against the grain here but I'd be surprised if you didn't bend the mound without evening knowing you did it. In the past I have done it with both Canon and Nikon bodies without even realizing it, even a millimeter or two you'll have focus issues. You don't have to drop these things on to concrete and have a cracked body to have a bent lens mount.

At the risk of dating myself, this was a very common problem back in the early AF days for Nikon, particularly with their first AF 80-200 f2.8. If you used the lens on an F4 body, you were generally okay; mount it on an F801 and you instantly had a bent lens mount flange on the body.

Nikon has some great designers, but no one at that company ever seems to test out products to see if they work in the real world.

Jun 20, 2013 at 02:20 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password