Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3              10       11       end
  

Archive 2013 · I'm Nikons latest victim.
  
 
BenV
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I'm Nikons latest victim.


This is a rant, make no mistake the sole purpose of this thread is to express my frustration right now. I was debating selling my D800 a few weeks ago. Decided to really test it out and noticed I had the outer AF issues. I sent it in to Nikon and low and behold I get "impact damage". I ask them exactly how it has impact damage, when its in mint condition. All they can tell me is the bayonet mount is damaged and needs to be replaced. Price is $250. It's never seen as much as a bump. Body is flawless. Not sure what to do at this time. I've been a Nikon fanboy for some years, but this is pathetic to say the least.

Any ideas on what else to do besides jump ship?



Jun 18, 2013 at 06:56 PM
shmn
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I'm Nikons latest victim.


Ask for photos that document what caused the mount to be out of alignment. If their cameras are so delicate that a slight bump pushes the mount out of alignment, then they shouldn't be selling professional gear.

Keep asking for evidence and if they can't provide any, tell them you will get a lawyer.

They usually buckle under any pressure or threat. I'm sure their standard "Level 1" response to all customers is "impact damage" as probably directed from on-high. Too bad Nikon has sunk to this low level. I sure won't be purchasing any new Nikon equipment.



Jun 18, 2013 at 07:03 PM
leighton w
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I'm Nikons latest victim.


Tell them to forget it and have them send it back. Then send it to APS. http://nikoncamerarepair.com/


Jun 18, 2013 at 07:06 PM
playerofwar
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I'm Nikons latest victim.


Tell them to fix your outer focus point and be done with it.
Microcracks in your mount are a NON-issue for normal use.
Mostly it's because you hold a heavy lens at the camera and not the lens.
Got that with my D7000 too because I used to use the normal Nikon strap with it and thus constant pressure on the mount with my 70-200 2.8. Now I use a BR strap on the lensmount and no problems at all with either (repaired) D7000 and D800E.
When I got the 5D2 I also had cracked mount (so said Canon). Also due to the same cause as mentioned above I suppose. Then I decided to jump ship (temporarely to D7000 and now D800e), but it seems like it's not much better here for repair, IQ and autofocus is worlds apart. (you are lucky btw, it's only 250, I had to pay 400 + shipping for the mount on the 5D2, it seemed like they replace the whole front of the body)
The D7000 was around 300 for the mount and front of body replacement (showed cracks in the body itself).



Jun 18, 2013 at 07:07 PM
binary visions
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I'm Nikons latest victim.


My response to an answer I don't like in customer service is always, "let me speak to your supervisor."

It's a pretty rare case where I don't get some kind of resolution I'm satisfied with.



Jun 18, 2013 at 07:08 PM
Nathan Padgett
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I'm Nikons latest victim.


Sorry to hear about your problems with both the camera and Nikon's service.

It's interesting they want to replace the mount. If in fact it is warped it could cause your focus problems (kind of a tilt type look).

Paying Nikon $250 to fix it is highway robbery, as it is a simple fix. Should be about $40-50 for a new mount. It's only attached by the 5 screws.

Let's assume your mount is fine though.... How long have you had your D800? Had you ever noticed the outer focus problem before? What lens did you test it with and what distances? I was 0 for 2 with D800's and I think a lot of people have the focusing problems but don't realize it. Either they aren't testing it, or they aren't testing it at different distances.




Jun 18, 2013 at 07:31 PM
euua
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I'm Nikons latest victim.


I had this issue before with my body and few lenses - luckily I live only 10min away from service center so I just go there and fight with them. They do not use that card with you when you in front of them.... annoying as hell this " impact damage "


Some day I am looking forward to doing the following:

Step one
Going to nearest photo store to nikon repair center and purchasing a brand new nikon body.

Step two
Taking this body right to repair center and for heck of it just saying that camera has some very common issue with it

Step three
When I get same stupid " impact damage" respond I would just love to pull out purchase receipt for that body with less then 10 minutes of item being purchased. Asking how is this possible since I just purchased it

Step four
asking for manager / supervisor and asking to explain this stupidity how Nikon authorized dealer can sell Nikon approved and shipping items with " impact damage "

Step five
BIG HAPPY SMILE ON MY FACE !!!!




Jun 18, 2013 at 07:32 PM
BenV
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I'm Nikons latest victim.


euua wrote:
I had this issue before with my body and few lenses - luckily I live only 10min away from service center so I just go there and fight with them. They do not use that card with you when you in front of them.... annoying as hell this " impact damage "

Some day I am looking forward to doing the following:

Step one
Going to nearest photo store to nikon repair center and purchasing a brand new nikon body.

Step two
Taking this body right to repair center and for heck of it just saying that camera has some very common issue with
...Show more

I wish I lived close enough to personally visit. I'd love to speak my mind



Jun 18, 2013 at 07:48 PM
BenV
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I'm Nikons latest victim.


shmn wrote:
Ask for photos that document what caused the mount to be out of alignment. If their cameras are so delicate that a slight bump pushes the mount out of alignment, then they shouldn't be selling professional gear.

Keep asking for evidence and if they can't provide any, tell them you will get a lawyer.

They usually buckle under any pressure or threat. I'm sure their standard "Level 1" response to all customers is "impact damage" as probably directed from on-high. Too bad Nikon has sunk to this low level. I sure won't be purchasing any new Nikon equipment.


I did, they stuck to their guns. Either pay up or I get my 'broken' camera back. And if I ever decided to sell it (which I trade gear around all the time here on the forums) I'd hate to dump it off on someone else. I've got a reputation to uphold on the forums.



Jun 18, 2013 at 07:49 PM
BenV
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I'm Nikons latest victim.


playerofwar wrote:
Tell them to fix your outer focus point and be done with it.
Microcracks in your mount are a NON-issue for normal use.
Mostly it's because you hold a heavy lens at the camera and not the lens.
Got that with my D7000 too because I used to use the normal Nikon strap with it and thus constant pressure on the mount with my 70-200 2.8. Now I use a BR strap on the lensmount and no problems at all with either (repaired) D7000 and D800E.
When I got the 5D2 I also had cracked mount (so said Canon). Also due to the same
...Show more

I don't hold any heavy lenses. The 300 f/4 is the biggest, and I always have it on the tripod via tripod collar of the lens. If this is enough to cause damage, that's incredible. I baby my gear, as I am an enthusiast and keep in mind the better condition I keep it in, the more money I get when I sell it and upgrade.



Jun 18, 2013 at 07:51 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



shmn
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I'm Nikons latest victim.


BenV wrote:
I did, they stuck to their guns. Either pay up or I get my 'broken' camera back. And if I ever decided to sell it (which I trade gear around all the time here on the forums) I'd hate to dump it off on someone else. I've got a reputation to uphold on the forums.


In that case, follow Leighton's advice and send it to APS. I would trust APS any day of the week over Nikon. You can get a second opinion, plus they have a better reputation than Nikon. I've used them a couple of times and have absolutely no complaints.



Jun 18, 2013 at 07:52 PM
trenchmonkey
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I'm Nikons latest victim.


Man, those darkside lyin' sacks of feces Sorry to hear, Ben.


Jun 18, 2013 at 07:54 PM
BenV
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I'm Nikons latest victim.


binary visions wrote:
My response to an answer I don't like in customer service is always, "let me speak to your supervisor."

It's a pretty rare case where I don't get some kind of resolution I'm satisfied with.


I did, it was useless. I'm pretty certain I'm just going to 'voice my opinion with my money'. I loved the D800



Jun 18, 2013 at 07:56 PM
BenV
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I'm Nikons latest victim.


Nathan Padgett wrote:
Sorry to hear about your problems with both the camera and Nikon's service.

It's interesting they want to replace the mount. If in fact it is warped it could cause your focus problems (kind of a tilt type look).

Paying Nikon $250 to fix it is highway robbery, as it is a simple fix. Should be about $40-50 for a new mount. It's only attached by the 5 screws.

Let's assume your mount is fine though.... How long have you had your D800? Had you ever noticed the outer focus problem before? What lens did you test it with and
...Show more

I've had the D800 for the better part of 6 months. Never really noticed the problem until recently when I was REALLY checking for it. I'm 110% sure it's focusing issues and not user error (tested with multiple lenses, tripod, ect.)



Jun 18, 2013 at 07:58 PM
BenV
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I'm Nikons latest victim.


trenchmonkey wrote:
Man, those darkside lyin' sacks of feces Sorry to hear, Ben.


Thanks, my only problem is I think if I switch, Canon might not be any better? And the D800 is pretty much the perfect camera for me, only if it had sRAW (sNEF?)



Jun 18, 2013 at 08:02 PM
Creative Edge
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I'm Nikons latest victim.


Ben,
I use SPTS in North Miami. They are an authorized service center. I've had great service from them
and use them for all my repairs whether under warranty or not.
Cannot recommend them enough.



Jun 18, 2013 at 08:13 PM
BenV
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · I'm Nikons latest victim.


Creative Edge wrote:
Ben,
I use SPTS in North Miami. They are an authorized service center. I've had great service from them
and use them for all my repairs whether under warranty or not.
Cannot recommend them enough.


That was my first choice, unfortunately they said I had to send it in directly to Nikon because they couldn't work on D800's. I will definitely keep that in mind for next time (lets hope not?)



Jun 18, 2013 at 08:20 PM
RCicala
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · I'm Nikons latest victim.


BenV wrote:
Thanks, my only problem is I think if I switch, Canon might not be any better? )


Canon is definitely better at the moment. Last week I sent three 70-200 f/2.8s to Canon. They called on day 2 and asked if we'd mind if they sent us three new refurbs as replacements since we'd otherwise be waiting weeks for parts since all 3 needed a part on backorder.

But things change over time. Two or three years ago Nikon clearly had better service.



Jun 18, 2013 at 08:46 PM
MikeW
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · I'm Nikons latest victim.


I want to send my D4 for a CLA along with my 24mm pc-e for an axis rotation. I'll be spitting chips if they give me that line.

Saying that, just got back today a 24-70 that was sticking through the zoom range. Took 4 weeks or so but no charge for replacing the insides & no "impact damage" farce.



Jun 18, 2013 at 09:28 PM
NathanHamler
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · I'm Nikons latest victim.


MikeW wrote:
I want to send my D4 for a CLA along with my 24mm pc-e for an axis rotation. I'll be spitting chips if they give me that line.

Saying that, just got back today a 24-70 that was sticking through the zoom range. Took 4 weeks or so but no charge for replacing the insides & no "impact damage" farce.


Yeah, but (assuming) that's Nikon Canada you're dealing with.....we get the shaft here in the U.S......and not just on universal healthcare!! lol j/k j/k



Jun 18, 2013 at 09:34 PM
1
       2       3              10       11       end




FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3              10       11       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password