Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
       end

EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C Product Advisory

Deborah Kolt
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #1 · EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C Product Advisory

rscheffler wrote:
Deborah, any update on how your camera performs post-fix?

Anyone notice a performance improvement?

I just brought mine in to get it done. It has about 120K actuations. I didn't really think there might be a problem with it, other than it tended to front focus with many of my lenses, therefore having them look specifically at that. But when I first took possession of it last August, I was really impressed with it from the first number of football games I shot. I was getting amazing focus consistency on long action sequences. As the season progressed, and I also did
...Show more

My situation is still unresolved. For those who don't want to go back five pages, Canon initially determined that my camera had issues requiring repair. I was experiencing both shifting incrementally in and out of focus in consecutive frames, and difficulty seeing through the viewfinder. But the issues developed gradually, so I wasn't sure it was the camera, either.

My role in life seems to be to challenge techs with weird and unusual problems. When the camera came back from Canon, focus for subjects coming straight at me was greatly improved, back to its original tack sharp resolution. I thought I saw occasional slight front focus, but that is unconfirmed. However, move 90 degrees and the camera was unable to lock on and track. Lateral and diagonal motion were impossible. If it focused at all, it was usually off by 12-18 inches; most times I could feel it try to lock on and then immediately release. So back it went, along with a card full of examples. This time they replaced the mirror box and, according to a CPS rep who spoke to the tech while it was being worked on, replaced the top, which she thought might have had something to do with the pentaprism. (The latter work was not mentioned in the written documentation I received, but frankly I don't care as long as it works!)

Since receiving it back from the second trip, I've had it out once. It still seemed to be having trouble locking on, but that was in a very extreme low-light situation. Unfortunately, the weather has been so hot here that I haven't yet been able to get someone out to run for me to do controlled testing, and without that confirmation, I've haven't risked using it again on an assignment. Hoping to be able to do testing this weekend.

Meanwhile, I finally got around to picking up another 1Dx as a backup. It's also in the affected range (sigh), so will be going in shortly.

Anyone who is thinking about putting off servicing on their camera might want to reconsider. Clearly, the issue can eventually cause damage, and right now Canon is fixing it free.

Jul 25, 2013 at 02:53 AM
Photon
• • • • •
p.8 #2 · EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C Product Advisory

harrygilbert wrote:
Got my 1DX back from the lube and clean. Camera came back spotless.

However, two things were unusual (compared to previous Canon services):

1. Canon sent me NO tracking info whatsoever, despite several emails and phone calls.

2. Upon return, got a paper stating that the work was an "out of warranty" courtesy repair. Camera was purchased 3 months ago, had < 1,000 actuations, and was registered on the Canon site.

That part (marked) at least seems normal for "service advisories", which apply to both in warranty and out of warranty goods. My in-warranty body and out of warranty lens (300L with its own service advisory) were both denoted the same way. I did get tracking info for both items.

Jul 25, 2013 at 03:28 AM
Deborah Kolt
• •
p.8 #3 · EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C Product Advisory

The "out of warranty courtesy repair" is just boilerplate language in situations like this.

Jul 26, 2013 at 02:32 AM
harrygilbert
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #4 · EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C Product Advisory

FWIW, took the 1DX out today. Performed flawlessly, not a spot on the sensor. But they reset my file numbering and reset everything back to default. Luckily, I had saved the majority of settings.

Related question: Has anyone decoded the file structure of the settings files (such as "CAMSET01.CSD"). I'd like to obtain (or write) a PC program that allows one to review of all the saved settings in these files, and even change them on the PC, then transfer to a memory card.

Jul 26, 2013 at 03:12 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

seanoc
• •
p.8 #5 · EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C Product Advisory

harrygilbert wrote:
FWIW, took the 1DX out today. Performed flawlessly, not a spot on the sensor. But they reset my file numbering and reset everything back to default. Luckily, I had saved the majority of settings.

Related question: Has anyone decoded the file structure of the settings files (such as "CAMSET01.CSD"). I'd like to obtain (or write) a PC program that allows one to review of all the saved settings in these files, and even change them on the PC, then transfer to a memory card.

I too would love to have either the file format or better yet a PC or Mac app to display/modify those files.

Jul 26, 2013 at 03:23 AM
Nazareth

p.8 #6 · EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C Product Advisory

The thread is a few months old I know, but just wanted to elate my experrience with the 1DX- Bought mine back in Nov of 2012- the very first few photos I shot had so many specks/splothces/blobs or whatever you call them on the skies I thought that some clerks at Amazon had taken the camera out and were messign aroudn with it listenign to the rapid fire mechanism, and gotr dust on the sensor- (Note, I hadn't bothered to check to see if any shots had been taken with the camera- just put my new lens on it and began firign away without thinkign to check first)- I asked around in several forums if anyoen else was havign the same issues, and many folks seemed to be- so I cotnacted Canon- they apologized for 'receiving a camera with a dirty sensor' and offered to clean it- I didn't send it in because heck, I had a Canon 1DX and wanted to use it-

Long sotry short, the isse became worse over time, and finally, just a few days ago- I stumbled onto the 'product advisory' from canon and lo and behold, my camera lacks the 'A", lacks the black mark, and the number in 6'th position is a 4- Great- Now I have to send it back in.

I was gettign hte 'Caution 02" message as well, which apparently has been fixed by a firmware update which I haven't got yet (hopefully Canon will install it for me when they service the camera)

One other issue I'm havign with the 1DX is when shooting portrait mode, the portrait mode scroll dial to change aperature soemtimes won't work- have to turn camera to landscape (Or contort figners to reach the landscape mode scroll wheel) then the portait mode scroll wheel will work

Another issue Is lot's of corrupt raw files (I only occasionally got them with my Canon 7D, but with the 1DX I'm getting aroudn 20 or so everytiem I transfer photos to computer- (I've pretty much confirmed the photos are beign corrupted incamera as I've tried many different methods of transfer, diff software, but still get same files corrupted) I'm not positive if it's the camera- but after pretty exte4nsive tests transfering the photos etc, I seem to lean towardas them beign sorrupt incamera- which is a bummer as I shoot panos of stitched photos, and if oen is corrupt, there goes the whoel pano- and htere's no tellign which raw files will be corrupt- seems to be quite random

I think perhaps canon might have slightly rushed this camera to market (soem of the issues to their credit have been able to be addressed via firmware updates- but osme issues are mechanical)

Oct 07, 2013 at 02:56 AM
Nazareth

p.8 #7 · EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C Product Advisory

dehowie wrote:
I see everyone rushing to have there bodies serviced.
A separate question..does anyone know anyone or heard of ANY 1Dx's having the reported issue?
Ive not seen anything from anyone anywhere reporting the issue for the service.
I mean given the slightest imperfection in a Canon pro body AF module and id imagine it would of n
Been on the net faster than the speed of heat.
Both mine have near enough to 100K without missing a beat. Last thing im doing is fixing something that works perfectly and isnt broken.
Ive heard plenty more stories of LCD's spattered with lubricant than I have heard of
...Show more

Yep- mine arrived with filthy sensor- looked liek soemoen sprayed oil over it when viewing F/22 shots of sky- but apaprently those spots are from 'wear and tear' from inadequately lubricated mirror mechanism? I've read that the 'classic symprtom' is 'black spots in upper left corner (however, my black spots are all over the sensor- but really concentrated in upper left corner).

IF thsi is infact wear and tear 'dust' landign on the sensor, then it stands to reaso nthat peopel shoudl get thweir camera in for service before symptoms show up I woudl think

Oct 07, 2013 at 03:20 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password